Author Topic: Sharing our annual urban tropical fruit forest progress video...enjoy!  (Read 1015 times)

tropical-farmer

• North Miami Beach, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Happy Holidays!!!
For those interested in tropical fruit (mangoes!!! 😍), grafting, growing your own food, fragrant flowers, pollinator friendly gardening and much more, here is a 2-part video update from our Urban Food Forest - Meditation Garden. It’s quite long but still we haven’t managed to include all the plants, we have so many! Hope you enjoy watching it, let us know in the comments what you think.
Part 1: https://youtu.be/JqqFx_wnPEY
Part 2: https://youtu.be/rH6Xrbj2ElE (there is a short artistic musical piece closer to the end, hope you like it:)

Satya

forumfool

• Canton, GA 7b
    • View Profile
Re: Sharing our annual urban tropical fruit forest progress video...enjoy!
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2019, 04:17:42 PM »
Nice! Living the dream. You’re elderberry might need a pollinator. Also, sunflowers are https://laidbackgardener.blog/2017/05/08/when-sunflowers-kill/

tropical-farmer

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2019, 04:48:46 PM »
thanks forumfool...thanks for the blog article..are all sunflowers bad? does it stand for dune sunflowers, beach sunflowers and other helianthus species?
Satya

forumfool

• Canton, GA 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2019, 05:01:02 PM »
I don’t know just learned about this recently but you don’t see sunflowers intercropping

Odenwald

• West central Florida 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2019, 02:03:43 PM »
Your video is very informative.  You certainly have a glorious urban forest.  I am starting one in rural east Manatee County. https://www.youtube.com/edit?o=U&video_id=RRcEgteaGwo&ar=1577473002028

tropical-farmer

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2019, 07:51:55 PM »
thanks Odenwald, we are learning a lot in this process..treating the soil like my own body, would not put anything that i would not put in my body. Many argue that ultimately the plants absord Nitrogen, Potassium, Phosphorus, Boron, Nickel and Silica etc and not the mulch or the compost tea or any organic matter put into the soil. Hence so much talk about leaf spray fertilizers and those colored granule fertilizers and slow release fertilizers that Monsanto and miracle gro have flooded the market with, that everyone talks about in fruit growers groups. But the same is true for human body, one is deficient in Calcium or Phosphate or Magnesium or potassium etc( I know this because i do blood tests in hospital everyday) . And they have started to give direct potassium or direct calcium tablet or magnesium tablet to ingest . But the absorption percentage into the body of these direct minerals compared to that through the intake of those minerals tin the food is low. Plus there is a whole network of beneficial bacteria in the gut , similar to the network in soil that feed of of the food to keep the balance. These beneficial bacteria will not feed on Ca tabs or magnesium tabs ingested.

Because there is pest problem in the garden we always are tempted to solve the problem right away with organic sprays but i have seen given time, and enough support to the plant , compost teas, mulch, rain water and soon we see predators coming in too...we are learning but it seems like patience is the key, and courage to make mistakes, and learn in the process...
Satya

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk