Author Topic: Duke-7 Avocado air-layer failure  (Read 998 times)

ScottR

• USA,Arroyo Grande,Calif. 93420,zone 9b
    • View Profile
Duke-7 Avocado air-layer failure
« on: August 14, 2020, 10:19:01 AM »
I tried a air-layer (2) actually and one failed about a month ago and the last air-layer failed with no callus or form of any kind of roots. Next year will try again but start in early Spring. I started these air-layers 4/20/20.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2020, 10:20:47 AM by ScottR »

Nyuu

• Florida , lake placid 9b
    • View Profile
Re: Duke-7 Avocado air-layer failure
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2020, 06:36:51 PM »
https://youtu.be/VyMogjYoldY this information might help but but Duke 7 supposed to hard to root / cloning

ScottR

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2020, 10:25:27 AM »
Thanks for post I have looked at that video before very interesting much like the way Brokaw Nursery makes there rootstock too!

Nyuu

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2020, 10:51:49 AM »
Have you tasted the fruit of Duke 7 . I believe I got one from a friend . I heard it's supposed to be ready tasty . big downside is that ripens really quickly about 2 days after picking .

Nyuu

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2020, 10:55:34 AM »
With all the information that I looked up to about Duke 7 supposedly  really difficult time rooting / cloning

CTMIAMI

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2020, 05:18:56 PM »
Interesting thread on Duke 7.  I would imagine you are trying to clone the Duke 7 for the tolerance it has to avocado phytophthora root rot. I'm testing it as well because we do have root rot issues specially in some commercial varieties I grow.  So far I have 2 100% clones in the ground for close to 2 years and to my surprise is doing really well, as good as any other West Indies cultivar used for root stock here. Surprised because I always felt that any clonal will struggle in our rocky soil in So. Florida. These trees are strong and growing strong, no sign of chlorosis.  I Also have 4 grafted on West Indies rootstock doing very well.   I'm hoping for fruit next year,
Avocados are very hard to clone.    Duke 7 is 100% Mexican Race and according to literature they are easier  to clone. I have not been able to do.
I hope you have success.

Carlos
 Tweeter: @carlosdlt280
www.myavocadotrees.com
zone 10a Miami-Dade County

ScottR

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2020, 10:15:19 AM »
Have you tasted the fruit of Duke 7 . I believe I got one from a friend . I heard it's supposed to be ready tasty . big downside is that ripens really quickly about 2 days after picking .
Nyuu, no I have never tasted the fruit of Duke-7 I interested in cloning that variety for very good root stock material.

ScottR

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2020, 10:37:42 AM »
Interesting thread on Duke 7.  I would imagine you are trying to clone the Duke 7 for the tolerance it has to avocado phytophthora root rot. I'm testing it as well because we do have root rot issues specially in some commercial varieties I grow.  So far I have 2 100% clones in the ground for close to 2 years and to my surprise is doing really well, as good as any other West Indies cultivar used for root stock here. Surprised because I always felt that any clonal will struggle in our rocky soil in So. Florida. These trees are strong and growing strong, no sign of chlorosis.  I Also have 4 grafted on West Indies rootstock doing very well.   I'm hoping for fruit next year,
Avocados are very hard to clone.    Duke 7 is 100% Mexican Race and according to literature they are easier  to clone. I have not been able to do.
I hope you have success.
Hi Carlos, yes I'm trying to clone the Duke-7 for additional root stock I've tried cutting many times with bottom heat and mist above but no takes. I read that that variety is supposed to take from cutting but I haven't had any takes so, try to air-layer last option. You say that you have 2-100% clones in ground did you purchase those or did someone clone them? Glad to hear they are growing well for you with no signs of chlorosis. My duke -7 scion was grafted on mexican root stock and I originality planted graft deep in pot after wounding graft area and above and applying rooting hormone but it never made roots so I planted tree in ground. My tree has always had chlorosis problems any way i will try air-layering again next year but earlier in Spring one more time. Let us know how fruit is when your trees fruit or are you planing to top work?

CTMIAMI

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2020, 11:01:04 AM »
The trick for cloning or rooting avocados is the darkening process to to turn the stem white from lack of chlorophyll and then you add hormones and air layer.  That is very hard for me, you need a dark room with a particular temperature, humidity  and proper ventilation.  I never had luck with rooting cuttings. A fiend even tried one of the hydro cloners with total failure.   

The only thing left is to air layer in the summer heat with  multiple application of hormones, like once a week with a syringe.

I got the clones from a friend and collaborator. It was a rare event but needed to see how the clonal would do in our soil. I really like them, better than Toro Cayon.
Carlos
 Tweeter: @carlosdlt280
www.myavocadotrees.com
zone 10a Miami-Dade County

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk