Author Topic: Girdled roots on gold nugget mandarin? help!  (Read 843 times)

Kathy H

• Los Angeles, CA, Zone 9b
    • View Profile
Girdled roots on gold nugget mandarin? help!
« on: December 17, 2020, 03:13:47 PM »
Hi fellow fruit tree lovers! I have a gold nugget mandarin tree that I planted in the ground this past Spring - it was a 5 gallon from Durling Nursery that I bought from a smaller retail nursery.  I think it said semi-dwarf but I don't remember tbh.

I didn't know much about fruit trees at the time (I have since learned a lot more from all of you by reading through these forums), and didn't check to see if the tree was root bound while in its pot. 

Now, about 8-9 months later, I realize that there is a problem at the tree's root crown.  I think it has girdling roots? There is a weird potato sized growth with a smaller root crossing. 

I'm wondering if I should 1) try to cut off the weird growth/crossing roots, 2) leave it alone, or 3) pull the tree and plant a new healthier one.  Or is there another option that I should consider as well?   Otherwise, the tree seems to be growing okay but maybe a bit slowly, although I don't have much experience.  Since I bought it, it has flushed out a bit with more foliage, and has 1 fruit that is developing right now.

thanks in advance for all your thoughtful advice!

fruitnut1944

• Alpine Texas
    • View Profile
Re: Girdled roots on gold nugget mandarin? help!
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2020, 04:16:25 PM »
At a minimum I'd cut the root at circles part way around the trunk. Then dig down around the big bulb of root mass or whatever it is and see if it can be removed. It will be ok if it isn't circling the trunk below ground. But it looks odd enough to remove if it doesn't require a major cut.

kumin

• USA PA 6b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2020, 05:28:28 PM »
I also suggest exposing the entire malformation to reveal if there are normal roots below the looped and twisted mass. If there are sizable, normal roots below the mass, the growth could be removed in conjunction with reducing the top to create a new balance of top and root proportions.

If the entire root structure is routed through this loop, correction becomes more difficult. Perhaps by encouraging and training properly oriented roots at the bottom and gradually pruning back the malformation as proper roots develop and become dominant.

Johnny Eat Fruit

• So. California, Huntington Beach. Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2020, 08:47:14 PM »
The Durling tree you purchased is on semi-dwarf Trifolate rootstock.  A very good overall rootstock but somewhat slow-growing.

Your tree looks OK overall considering the short time in the ground. In 2021 you should have much more green grown and foliage. I would leave the tree you have alone as trying to cut the root would likely damage the feeder roots that are responsible for feeding the citrus tree.

Enclosed in a photo a four-year-old Gold Nugget Mandarine tree with the same rootstock as yours (also a Durling). If you have good draining soil (not heavy clay) then in four years your tree will look to be in similar condition.

Johnny

Semi-Dwarf Gold Nugget planted in 2016

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2020, 10:53:04 PM »
Johnny is correct about what your tree should look like in the future, providing that the tree is properly taken care of.  A newly planted tree in the first year should be fertilized 4 times equally spaced out during the growing season.  As an alternative, you can also use a slow release fertilizer.   I agree with Johnny about leaving the tree alone.  If you do cut, I would only cut the growing finger root.  However, you have plenty of time to watch what is going on, before you have to make a decision.  Your tree at this time looks good.  Welcome to the forum,  we hope to see a lot of you in the future.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2020, 10:54:44 PM by Millet »

Kathy H

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2020, 12:12:09 AM »
Thanks all for the replies!  Johnny your tree looks really great, I hope mine will grow that big and nice.  Unfortunately I do have heavy clay, but the tree is planted on somewhat of a mound and drainage does not seem to be an issue so far.

I think I’ll wait a bit, maybe until the spring/early summer at least, and see if the crossing root is affecting growth.

I also haven’t fertilized it at all so I’ll definitely do that as well.  It’s “cold” now in SoCal - about 45 degrees at night - so I guess I’ll wait until spring/warmer weather when it’s the growing season to start a fertilizing routine.

Thanks again everyone, excited to join this great community!

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2020, 11:15:11 AM »
In Southern California, the first application of fertilizer to a citrus tree should be around the last of February/the first of March.

Kathy H

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2020, 05:05:54 PM »
Great thanks Millet!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk