Author Topic: Major winter storm!  (Read 7557 times)

Galatians522

• Florida 9b
    • View Profile
Re: Major winter storm!
« Reply #50 on: March 14, 2021, 09:30:28 PM »

What's interesting is how good the oranges are with absolutely no damage.  Am puzzled when citrus orchards staff run around placing smudge pots with a forecast  into the 20's.

You think lack of winds from being in a greenhouse makes the difference?

I believe that the apparent hysteria is more related to cropping than tree loss. If my memory serves me right, oranges (the fruit) freeze about 28. This has always been more of a problem for Valencia because it hangs through the entire winter season. After freezing, there is a short window to get the fruit harvested before it dries into a useless pith with no juice that can't be sold or falls to the ground. Bloom is even more sensitive. Even the slightest possibility of losing an entire year's pay would be a powerful motivator for most people.

As to the "green house effect," I have witnessed orange trees that were damaged by temps much warmer than 16. While I am told that plants don't "feel" wind chill, they do suffer from durration. It would only make sense that the tree would be chilled to damaging temps more quickly under windy conditions.

Mark in Texas

• Fredericksburg Texas, (central TX), zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 15, 2021, 07:56:00 AM »
You think lack of winds from being in a greenhouse makes the difference?

Usually when you have a drastic temp drop you have no wind and a clear sky at night.

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 15, 2021, 07:58:39 AM »
Hey Mark! Hang in there brother. I have material should you need it (hopefully not). Take care

Thanks for the kind offer!

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 15, 2021, 08:11:44 AM »
I believe that the apparent hysteria is more related to cropping than tree loss. If my memory serves me right, oranges (the fruit) freeze about 28. This has always been more of a problem for Valencia because it hangs through the entire winter season. After freezing, there is a short window to get the fruit harvested before it dries into a useless pith with no juice that can't be sold or falls to the ground. Bloom is even more sensitive. Even the slightest possibility of losing an entire year's pay would be a powerful motivator for most people.

We're eating delicious oranges some I picked off the floor.  Coldest part of the greenhouse recorded 21F, citrus area 22F.  Based on Florida fruit am thinking my fruit's sugar content is higher which helps raise the freeze point.....I think.

Moro blood orange is pushing blooms (some open 2 weeks ago) and foliage big time.   Notice the dark green color and richness of the new foliage.  I really hit the pots hard with Osmocote 15-9-12, 8-9 month. About a pound per tree on the citrus,  little less on the avocados and annonas, applied one month ago.  According to a ICL tech this is one of their best.  https://icl-sf.com/us-en/products/ornamental_horticulture/osmocote-plus-standard-8-9-a903266-15-9-12/

W.

• United States, Alabama, 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 15, 2021, 08:19:15 AM »
Good to hear that at least some of your collection has made it through the cold.

My Moro blood oranges are all pushing out a lot of new growth right now as well, after I put some Citrus-tone on them a little while back. They have not been through the ringer like yours have, though. It must be the right time of year for them to send out a flush of new growth. In comparison, my lemons and limes are not doing anything right now.

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 15, 2021, 08:47:29 AM »
Good to hear that at least some of your collection has made it through the cold.

My Moro blood oranges are all pushing out a lot of new growth right now as well, after I put some Citrus-tone on them a little while back. They have not been through the ringer like yours have, though. It must be the right time of year for them to send out a flush of new growth. In comparison, my lemons and limes are not doing anything right now.

Try Osmocote unless the trees are so big it wouldn't be practical.  If that's Espoma you're using it's the pits.  The only thing it has in common with citrus is a label.

This kind of event will never happen again in my lifetime.  But, I'm going to figure out a way to tap into my big outside propane tank inside the greenhouse so that I can run the 100K free standing (standby) pot if and when electricity goes out, which may never happen again.  There's a huge uproar with the grid operator called ERCOT.  They didn't winterize the generator stations like they should have and Gov. Abbott is kicking butt - "this will never happen again" and threatening them if they don't take corrective action.  Class action lawsuits are on the increase, everyone wants to hit the lotto.

The storm dragged on a lot longer than folks figured it would, just kept on beating us up.  I got caught with my last propane tank running out of gas about 8 hrs. hour before the rising sun begins heating the greenhouse.   Highway cleared that afternoon so I'm off and standing in line with 50 people, 2 tanks in hand for refills.  One more freezing night and it was all over, a week later.

If you were near a hospital or nursing home you were blessed.  Those folks never lost power.   :o

850FL

• zone 8b/9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 15, 2021, 11:33:13 PM »
Mark those damage reports are insightful but did everyone forget there was likely a lack of actual frost and precipitation inside the greenhouse??
As well as wind.. I have noticed wind seems to wick the heat out of plants or somehow it causes more damage than the same thing being protected..

850FL

• zone 8b/9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 15, 2021, 11:56:30 PM »
600 yr. old live oak at Fort Martin Scott.  BTW, Luckenbach is just outside of town.   A relaxing tourist trap to have a few beers and listen to a walk in sing and play guitar.

Feb. 16 temps - top row, 3F outside.  2nd row 33F inside the greenhouse.  2 more storms was the final blow.

Southern live oak (Quercus virginiana), one of the great trees of the American South from coastal Virginia to Texas.  Magnificent tree.  Another even greater tree of the South--longleaf pine--which several conservation groups are working at restoring.  Aside from fruit trees, two of my favorite trees!

Live oak canopies annoy me, although I love the contortion on larger specimens. Southern magnolias are more appealing!
Longleaf pines eh I like those dwarf lookin shortleaf scrubby pines a lot more, plus their needles taste better

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 16, 2021, 12:33:11 AM »
600 yr. old live oak at Fort Martin Scott.  BTW, Luckenbach is just outside of town.   A relaxing tourist trap to have a few beers and listen to a walk in sing and play guitar.

Feb. 16 temps - top row, 3F outside.  2nd row 33F inside the greenhouse.  2 more storms was the final blow.

Southern live oak (Quercus virginiana), one of the great trees of the American South from coastal Virginia to Texas.  Magnificent tree.  Another even greater tree of the South--longleaf pine--which several conservation groups are working at restoring.  Aside from fruit trees, two of my favorite trees!

Live oak canopies annoy me, although I love the contortion on larger specimens. Southern magnolias are more appealing!
Longleaf pines eh I like those dwarf lookin shortleaf scrubby pines a lot more, plus their needles taste better
The best I could do on short notice. Cattle and the horses eat their leaves when the grass is not growing. Also makes great shade for Cowpens to work cattle. From Virginia to Florida to Texas that's why I've heard them referred to as Confederate Oaks. I will admit the Leaves do make a mess in your yard.

Here's one from March 2020

I think it's safe to say that this fella doesn't want any Oak leaves. Lol
« Last Edit: March 16, 2021, 06:01:33 AM by bovine421 »
Tete Nene Julie Juliet Carrie Ice Cream Coconut Cream Little Gem  Dot  Mallika PPK  OS  Pina Colada Cotton Candy Buxton Spice Karen Michelle M-4 Beverly Marc Anthony White Pirie Lychee Cherilata Plantain Barbados Cherry

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 16, 2021, 05:41:39 AM »
I'll have to agree with Mark on this one. They are a little spooky looking

Magnolia's are a lot less threatening LOL

Okay John what's the name of this

10 March 2020

« Last Edit: March 16, 2021, 07:38:20 AM by bovine421 »
Tete Nene Julie Juliet Carrie Ice Cream Coconut Cream Little Gem  Dot  Mallika PPK  OS  Pina Colada Cotton Candy Buxton Spice Karen Michelle M-4 Beverly Marc Anthony White Pirie Lychee Cherilata Plantain Barbados Cherry

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #60 on: March 16, 2021, 07:37:53 AM »
Mark those damage reports are insightful but did everyone forget there was likely a lack of actual frost and precipitation inside the greenhouse??
As well as wind.. I have noticed wind seems to wick the heat out of plants or somehow it causes more damage than the same thing being protected..

I had 2 big garbage cans full of water on a south wall supposedly to retain some heat.  Both had a layer of ice on top.

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 16, 2021, 07:40:24 AM »

10 March 2020

Some kind of lily?

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 16, 2021, 08:35:50 AM »

10 March 2020

Some kind of lily?
That's the Bonnie blue flag swamp Lily. At least that's what we call it

Kevin Jones

• Alabama - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 16, 2021, 11:51:50 AM »
An Iris.

Kevin

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 16, 2021, 12:20:55 PM »
An Iris.

Kevin
Have you been talkin to that educated flowerboy Down in the Hole.Iris ! Well I don't have much book learning but then again I've never been down in a hole studying either.Iris are you sure he's not talking about his ethnicity. He doesn't by chance look like that fella on the Lucky Charms box does he?
« Last Edit: March 16, 2021, 05:44:06 PM by bovine421 »

Galatians522

• Florida 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 16, 2021, 04:35:16 PM »
Likely Iris Hexagona aka Blue Flag or Dixie Iris. One of our most beautiful native flowers. I read an article once that said there were as many colors in Florida as Lousianna. People just don't pay much attention to them here.

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 16, 2021, 05:27:41 PM »
Likely Iris Hexagona aka Blue Flag or Dixie Iris. One of our most beautiful native flowers. I read an article once that said there were as many colors in Florida as Lousianna. People just don't pay much attention to them here.
Here in my area of Central Florida in the swamps wetlands. They come out by the hundreds.Its beautiful sight. I was just about to write Mark and apologized for hijacking his thread. Sorry Mark ! My first love is tthe live oak tree. Now my forever love is the mango tree. I know it sounds silly and you may even call me the Nature Boy. I do not go as far as to eat tree bark like Euell Gibbons. I have eaten my fair share of dust and quite a few love bugs. Just thought y'all might enjoy the photo.

« Last Edit: March 16, 2021, 05:33:57 PM by bovine421 »

850FL

• zone 8b/9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 16, 2021, 10:34:33 PM »

I had 2 big garbage cans full of water on a south wall supposedly to retain some heat.  Both had a layer of ice on top.

What I meant to say is cold temps w/o frost is one thing. But the same cold temp accompanied with frost can mean something completely different for some plants. Dragonfruit for example.. the sections of dragonfruit I covered with literally just a couple of leaves @ 25F were just fine, whereas the sections left exposed to frost got annihilated and turned to mush. Greenhouses are definitely frost and sleet/snow/precipitation barriers.. which means your damage report is definitely useful, but could be misleading if someone were to put those same plants exposed outside and  in the ground..

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 16, 2021, 11:29:35 PM »
Mark since you already have a tractor. Would something like this be cheaper than buying one that has a motor

Do you grow the new Citrus variety sugarbelle?
My oldest brother is a farmer / truck driver. Being the wisenheimer that I am. I call him The Astronaut Farmer. He just delivered one of those windmills last summer to Texas. I will ask him why he did not fill it full of antifreeze.Lol

Okay Mark the message was sent. I'll let you know what his response is but I'm sure he has some kind of excuse. Like Napa's parking lot was full.Lol
« Last Edit: March 17, 2021, 05:43:29 AM by bovine421 »

850FL

• zone 8b/9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 16, 2021, 11:58:41 PM »
Nature boy? How about Earthboy. That’s what I call my dogs, the earthboys LOL, always gotta be diggin in that dern dirt!

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: March 17, 2021, 05:27:15 AM »
Nature boy? How about Earthboy. That’s what I call my dogs, the earthboys LOL, always gotta be diggin in that dern dirt!

As long as your dog in not a poodle. I'll take that as a compliment :)
« Last Edit: March 17, 2021, 05:33:24 AM by bovine421 »

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 18, 2021, 11:14:37 AM »
Mark and I know you're a busy fella and not in the best of spirts. Hopefully this will put a smile on your face. I saw this  in Indian River County and a have to ask you.In Texas would this mailbox be considered down yonder or a fur piece from the house?

I also looked up that Tower generator you wrote about. To my surprise it is not on a tower. It is a name brand.Lol

Cult of Glory: The Bold and Brutal History of the Texas Rangers
by Doug J. Swanson (

Said to be somewhat controversial have not had time to read it yet
« Last Edit: March 18, 2021, 10:20:18 PM by bovine421 »

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: April 03, 2021, 09:51:14 AM »
Don't worry about going off topic. I could care less and find it interesting.

Mark since you already have a tractor. Would something like this be cheaper than buying one that has a motor

Not practical for me.  All I had to do, which I thought of after the event (of course) is T off my big outside propane tank to run the free standing pot, if I could get a licensed person out in time to do the job.  Should of could ofs will buy you a cup of coffee.  Again, no one could have planned for such an event.  At least we weren't without power for 3 weeks like some around here.

Do you grow the new Citrus variety sugarbelle?

Nope, would love to get my hands on some scions though.

My oldest brother is a farmer / truck driver. Being the wisenheimer that I am. I call him The Astronaut Farmer. He just delivered one of those windmills last summer to Texas. I will ask him why he did not fill it full of antifreeze.Lol

;D  ;D

All the avocados are pushing except for a Pinkerton.  GEM has flower buds and Sharwil is pushing from limbs sitting on the ground up about 6' on the big 4" trunks.

It's just frickin' crazy how tough Reed is!  It's been through two bouts of super freezing temps and recovered well.  18F in 2018, 21F now.  WHAT'S REALLY CRAZY is out of about 5 Reed seedlings that were sitting on the ground 4 have NO damage and are growing fine.   Reed shrugs off sustained temps up to 112F too. 

I don't get it.......

"Reed is cold hardy down to 30F degrees".  Glad my trees can't read.  8)

Don't know about the mangos.  Been 5 weeks and nothing but new leaves where I covered them up at the bottom.

Citrus is doing great.  Here's a Moro blood orange that's pushing some of the healthiest, dark green foliage AND blooming too.  Why?  Because I hit them with a pound of ICL's flagship Osmocote 15-9-12, a 9 month food.  I more than doubled the Osmocote on all trees.  Been eating oranges like crazy.  Lost about 50 or so Lamb and Sharwil avocados to the freeze.  What's very cool is when Sharwil's were dropping early 2021 most tasted great, every bit as good as store bought Hass albeit not filled out.

Out of about 6 orange varieties on my key lime tree Cara Cara is our fave.  Just unreal......

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: April 03, 2021, 09:57:33 AM »
My first love is tthe live oak tree.

Ice storm took out a lot of trees, probably more than most hurricanes do.  I took a seedling live oak that was pure scrawny to a fine 20' tree and this is what's left.  Many of my 60 or so trees around the house got nailed.  Lobolly pine behind got nailed too.

Trunk broke in half.  Sawed it down to 4', hope it pushes somewhere.  The music of chainsaws is loud still.

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: April 03, 2021, 10:03:15 AM »
Mark and I know you're a busy fella and not in the best of spirts. Hopefully this will put a smile on your face. I saw this  in Indian River County and a have to ask you.In Texas would this mailbox be considered down yonder or a fur piece from the house?

Fer piece now on the ground.  Mail boxes like that are open season for kids tanked up on Bud Light on a Saturday night.

Beautiful pix!

Sunrise from the house as I do my morning walk.

Another sunrise.  Nacono pecan leaves in the foreground.  I've tasted dozens of locally grown pecan varieties and this one ranks in the top 3.  Tree culture is excellent too.

« Last Edit: April 03, 2021, 10:08:18 AM by Mark in Texas »