Author Topic: Southern California - Big Box Store Mango Stocking  (Read 2125 times)

John B

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Southern California - Big Box Store Mango Stocking
« on: March 12, 2021, 03:56:18 PM »
Anyone know when the big box stores start to stock their manila mangos (Laverne nursery or equivalent)? Looking at grafting  them but want to get my timing down.

Thanks in advance

RodneyS

• Cerritos, CA (Zone 11a)
    • View Profile
Re: Southern California - Big Box Store Mango Stocking
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2021, 04:15:03 PM »
Around July

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2021, 05:11:44 PM »
June or July to graft.  But walter andersens poway had some not long ago.
Brad Spaugh

Malhar

• Irvine CA, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2021, 06:36:00 PM »
I actually bought two Manilla mango trees from East Irvine home depot last week. You may want to check your local home depot!

599gh888

• 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2021, 07:39:34 PM »
they had some at home depot and Lowes around my area

John B

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2021, 10:22:26 PM »
Thanks guys. I haven't seen any around central San Diego but it makes sense they are starting to show up in other places. I'll keep my eyes peeled now.

Grafting will be done later but wanted to have some time to acclimate the plants in a few places around the yard to where I think they'll do well.

599gh888

• 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2021, 01:06:56 AM »
Make a drive to Los Angeles I was at Lowe’s this evening and they have 6 in a 5gal pot

Kuhyay

• Zone 10a
    • San Diego, CA, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2021, 11:43:37 AM »
I saw some at the Home Depot in Mira Mesa.
Kenny

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2021, 12:50:09 PM »
You might want to check with atkins also.  Their rootstock trees seem a lot stronger than the Laverne trees.
Brad Spaugh

Malhar

• Irvine CA, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2021, 02:44:08 PM »
You might want to check with atkins also.  Their rootstock trees seem a lot stronger than the Laverne trees.

I thought these Manilla mangoes are all seedlings. How Atkin seedlings will be different than Laverne, or are they grafted trees?

John B

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2021, 03:57:37 PM »
Thanks, Brad. I've been wanting to go up there and check them out. Always willing to support the smaller nurseries. Do you know if they use Manila or Atulfo seeds? I was going to go to Clausen in Vista but they'll only carry the 15 gallon in summer.

I saw some at the Home Depot in Mira Mesa.
Thanks, I'll call them.

Make a drive to Los Angeles I was at Lowe’s this evening and they have 6 in a 5gal pot

The only way this would be feasible is to take the wife's prius and I can't take the risk getting the catalytic converter stolen there.  ;D

SHV

• Escondido, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2021, 05:28:43 PM »
The Home Depot Manillas seem to be getting smaller every year. I swear they are dropping 1 year old seedlings in 5 gallon pots. A few years back you would get a decent sized tree that would fruiti in a couple years with a nice thick trunk.
Of course, a few years before that you could get a soda for a nickel. The good ol’ days.

Johnny Eat Fruit

• So. California, Huntington Beach. Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2021, 08:15:59 PM »
My experience for buying manila seedling trees and growing my own from Ataulfo seed is the following.

30% will grow rapidly and make excellent rootstock for grafting. (It is best to let them grow in the ground 2 years prior to grafting)

50% will grow OK but at a reduced rate relative to the 1st group. These are the majority and will be adequate for grafting in the future.

20% suck and have poor vigor. Some will die or grow slowly.  These make poor samples for grafting.

It takes 1-2 years to find out what you have. It is hit and miss. Personally, I grow Ataulfo seedings in the spring and separate the top 30% for grafting after about one year of growth. The others I discard.

Any mango seedling tree has the potential to be a great rootstock but it takes time to find out what you have. This is a hit and miss. If you buy Laverne Manila Rootstock at home depot it the luck of the draw. I have several mango trees that are doing great and several more doing poorly. One died recently in it's pot. Remember these are seedlings and they are all slightly different and will respond based on the soil type and environmental conditions of your microclimate.     

You need to buy 5 mango seeding trees and keep the top two. It's a numbers game. Also, buy seedling trees from different sources to increase diversity and increase your chances of finding a winner. Look at the lower rootstock when you buy. The larger the girth the better in general.

Good luck to all.

Johnny
« Last Edit: March 13, 2021, 08:48:42 PM by Johnny Eat Fruit »

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2021, 08:36:47 PM »

I thought these Manilla mangoes are all seedlings. How Atkin seedlings will be different than Laverne, or are they grafted trees?

Their trees are just stronger more stout trees.  The seeds are from different mother trees and the way they raise them is different.  I dont know if its genetic or environmental or both but the Atkins rootstocks were way better trees in my experience. 
Brad Spaugh

Malhar

• Irvine CA, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2021, 12:00:19 AM »
Thanks Brad for clarifying.  Now, I may have to drive to San Diego to get them!

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2021, 12:15:43 AM »
You need to call and make sure they have them.  I grafted a few trees onto this rootstock and they are looking stellar.  Super good stock whatever they are using. 
Brad Spaugh

John B

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2021, 10:22:47 PM »
My experience for buying manila seedling trees and growing my own from Ataulfo seed is the following.

30% will grow rapidly and make excellent rootstock for grafting. (It is best to let them grow in the ground 2 years prior to grafting)

50% will grow OK but at a reduced rate relative to the 1st group. These are the majority and will be adequate for grafting in the future.

20% suck and have poor vigor. Some will die or grow slowly.  These make poor samples for grafting.

It takes 1-2 years to find out what you have. It is hit and miss. Personally, I grow Ataulfo seedings in the spring and separate the top 30% for grafting after about one year of growth. The others I discard.

Any mango seedling tree has the potential to be a great rootstock but it takes time to find out what you have. This is a hit and miss. If you buy Laverne Manila Rootstock at home depot it the luck of the draw. I have several mango trees that are doing great and several more doing poorly. One died recently in it's pot. Remember these are seedlings and they are all slightly different and will respond based on the soil type and environmental conditions of your microclimate.     

You need to buy 5 mango seeding trees and keep the top two. It's a numbers game. Also, buy seedling trees from different sources to increase diversity and increase your chances of finding a winner. Look at the lower rootstock when you buy. The larger the girth the better in general.

Good luck to all.

Johnny

Thanks for your prospective, Johnny. It seems that there is no perfect rootstock for us except growing from seed. But even that can go bad. I have 2 atulfos in ground that are doing great but growing a little too fast.

I figured try a few manila's that will grow well but slow and topwork them. I don't mind the investment on the smaller ones and see what happens. I'll be picking 2 or 3 up this week.

vall

• Treasure Coast
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2021, 02:39:34 PM »
I planted two from Atkins last year that are doing well. They use "manila type" mangoes (their words) and triple 16 fertilizer but good soil. The HD mangoes I've seen are potted in wood fines.
- Val

John B

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2021, 05:23:56 PM »
Atkins and all the other smaller nurseries did not have any 5 gallons in stock. They mentioned they'd be back in stock around June. I bought 2 tiny one year old twigs from HD that were in a fine wood mix that are from Laverne's. I'm keeping them as a backup in case I can't locate a decent manila mango tree in a five gallon pot. Otherwise I will return them. So it goes...

RB

• Santa Clara, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2021, 06:04:45 PM »
Whenever I call or go to Atkins they always say that they have don't have 5 gallon mango in stock.  I was there a few weeks ago and was wandering around the greenhouse in front of the office and found a few nice seedlings in tall 18 inch containers.   Not sure what rootstock it is but grows really well for me in the Bay Area.

marklee

• Chula Vista, California Zone 24 or 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2021, 11:27:42 PM »
I saw some of the LaVerne mangoes at HD today, they are now a whopping $35 and the size of a pencil and 3 feet tall. I think they they would need another 2 years to be decent to graft.

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2021, 11:30:48 PM »
I saw some of the LaVerne mangoes at HD today, they are now a whopping $35 and the size of a pencil and 3 feet tall. I think they they would need another 2 years to be decent to graft.

they were probably tied to a stick too I bet. 

you get a tree at atkins and its thick and not staked and you carry to the car by the trunk.  thats the difference.
Brad Spaugh

marklee

• Chula Vista, California Zone 24 or 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 17, 2021, 10:05:22 PM »

they were probably tied to a stick too I bet. 

you get a tree at atkins and its thick and not staked and you carry to the car by the trunk.  thats the difference.
[/quote/]

Yeah, for sure Atkins is the place to go. I think my 9 month old mango seedlings are better than LaVerne's, Yeah and HD's were staked. They were just $22 a couple of years ago, and graft ready.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk