Author Topic: Is there an effective fruit fly control in South Florida?  (Read 914 times)

savemejebus

• Coral Springs, FL
    • View Profile
Is there an effective fruit fly control in South Florida?
« on: March 17, 2021, 06:45:42 PM »
Other than giving my family cancer with chemicals legal only in North Korea, is there anything we can do in Floroda to slow down, reduce, or control fruit fly infestations? Other than just digging up the trees they love (e.g. peacbes, papaya, loquat).  I've tried the half soda bottle hanging from tree with apple juice etc. - catches a ton of regular flies and stinks up the yard, but nothing as to fruit flies. If I can train my great danes to just eat them like a whale eats plankton, that would also be a viable solution.

345 desoto

• Port Saint Lucie, Florida
    • n/a
    • View Profile
Re: Is there an effective fruit fly control in South Florida?
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2021, 07:55:26 AM »
Up here, Walmart sells a fruit fly bait/trap.  Its made by Terro and SMELLS like vinegar, but it's not.  VERY effective, cleans them right out...indoors.  However, if I see Fruit fly damage, I'm going to give it a try outdoors.

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile

fliptop

• SWFL10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2021, 06:38:12 PM »
The problem I have with organza bags is that 1) they're in a box in my storage shed that I can't find and 2) even if I find them, how do you wrap these papayas without knocking them off?

I've thought about just draping screen (like what's used to re-screen a screen porch) over the whole tower of papayas, but haven't gotten around to doing that yet.

I've had some luck (maybe on account of the cold?) with some fruit being larvae-free, but I've lost quite a bit to the bugs. Ace, my rooster, at least likes to eat them. He doesn't seem to be a fan of papayas, though. He goes bananas over bananas.

mattyboydesigns

• St. Petersburg, Florida 9b/10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2021, 09:08:10 PM »
The problem I have with organza bags is that 1) they're in a box in my storage shed that I can't find and 2) even if I find them, how do you wrap these papayas without knocking them off?

I've thought about just draping screen (like what's used to re-screen a screen porch) over the whole tower of papayas, but haven't gotten around to doing that yet.

I've had some luck (maybe on account of the cold?) with some fruit being larvae-free, but I've lost quite a bit to the bugs. Ace, my rooster, at least likes to eat them. He doesn't seem to be a fan of papayas, though. He goes bananas over bananas.

Google papaya bunch cover, it's a big bag that covers the whole bunch.

C24mccain

• Lakeland Florida zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2021, 09:19:30 PM »
I'm going to be experimenting over the next couple of months using Torula yeast and spinosad. Mix them and spray on peach trees and loquats. The theory is the flies are attracted to the yeast and when they eat it the spinosad will kill them. I'll be spraying weekly until peaches are finished. We'll see if I have I get more peaches this year. I'll update here when it's done.

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2021, 08:22:14 AM »
I've had some luck (maybe on account of the cold?) with some fruit being larvae-free, but I've lost quite a bit to the bugs.
Yep, winter is the best season for papaya.

gnappi

• South East Florida (U.S.A) Zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2021, 03:54:32 PM »
This is the first year my loquat got infected
Regards,

Gary

forumfool

• Canton, GA 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2021, 07:32:19 PM »
Hummingbird are heavy eaters of fruit fly plant vines and perennials that attracts them.