Author Topic: Sunburst mango variety question  (Read 1938 times)

Julie

• Miami, FL, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
Sunburst mango variety question
« on: May 30, 2021, 04:12:40 AM »
Does anyone know if the sunburst mango variety is the same as one of the Zill varieties, potentially fruit cocktail, fruit punch or Seacrest?

Squam256

• Mangos, trees and budwood for sale
    • USA, West Palm Beach, FL, 33405, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/TropicalAcresFarms
Re: Sunburst mango variety question
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2021, 08:59:10 AM »
It’s Fruit Cocktail

Julie

• Miami, FL, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2021, 12:33:09 PM »

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2021, 04:03:38 PM »
Who named it Sunburst?  Did ZHHP change the name?
John

Julie

• Miami, FL, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2021, 04:15:10 PM »
Hi John.  Sunburst is the name used by Dr. Campbell and Zill uses the name Fruit Cocktail.  I don't know the exact situation of who named it first or who created it, both of them are developing new mango varieties.  The Zill names are used on this forum but different names may be used for the exact same mango if people are buying them in the Homestead/Miami area.

Tropicdude

• Broward County, Florida, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2021, 04:35:22 PM »
All the different names are confusing, I think the K3, Kathy, is also called Kryptonite by Campbell, if I am not mistaken, Campbell seems to have a deal with NASA, on naming mangoes with a celestial theme.
William
" The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago.....The second best time, is now ! "

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2021, 05:47:00 PM »
What's with Richard Campbell re-naming Zill mangos?  It seems very disrespectful and uncool.
John

Oolie

• San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2021, 07:03:01 PM »
Probably got the idea from the Zills.

skhan

• United States, Florida, Coral Springs, 10b
    • View Profile
    • Videos of Garden
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2021, 07:29:43 PM »
;D

Most of these varieties come from Gary's breeding efforts so ideally, those names should be up to them.

I would imagine that Dr. Campbell had access to them before they were named and didn't want to call them by their row/column designation.

Now that ZHPP released them, it would be better for everyone if we just had one though
« Last Edit: May 30, 2021, 07:33:57 PM by skhan »

Julie

• Miami, FL, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2021, 09:31:43 PM »
I think there is more to the backstory, I don’t feel like he would be so open and straightforward that what he was selling as sunburst is also one of the zill mangoes if that was the case.

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2021, 09:38:53 PM »
I think there is more to the backstory, I don’t feel like he would be so open and straightforward that what he was selling as sunburst is also one of the zill mangoes if that was the case.

Richard has a history of "renaming" already named ZHPP varieties.
- Rob

Julie

• Miami, FL, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2021, 09:55:26 PM »
Well in any case, I appreciate everything he is doing to make this fruit available to the public and this thread wasn’t intended to be a criticism. Unfortunately here the individual buyers are not respected and wholesale buyers have their pick of the fruit. Many local growers here won’t give me the time of day because I’m making a small order. So, if I will criticize anyone it’s Miami Fruit. I value all of the growers that are willing to work with individual buyers.

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2021, 11:25:49 PM »
All the different names are confusing, I think the K3, Kathy, is also called Kryptonite by Campbell, if I am not mistaken, Campbell seems to have a deal with NASA, on naming mangoes with a celestial theme.
Besides being a fan of comic books and astrology. He is also a Treky. He has a new mango called the Vulcan. I have made fun of some of his other mango names in the past but with this one I just don't know where to go with it. Live long and prosper

« Last Edit: May 30, 2021, 11:35:42 PM by bovine421 »
Tete Nene Julie Juliet Carrie Ice Cream Coconut Cream Little Gem  Dot  Mallika PPK  OS  Pina Colada Cotton Candy Buxton Spice Karen Michelle M-4 Beverly Marc Anthony White Pirie Lychee Cherilata Plantain Barbados Cherry

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2021, 11:41:06 PM »
He can rename me if he wants to, just give me the mangoes!

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2021, 08:27:56 AM »
I would like to meet Dr. Campbell he seems like a fun quirky character.
I myself am guilty of making names of fictitious mango trees
I have one that I call the West Indian irie tree. Irie is Rastafarian for all right so if they say r u  irie that means are you all right or good.

I have another one I made up. It's called The Bayesian bombastic tree. The folks from Barbados are known to be very boastful and braggadocious. Bombastic has many meanings one of which is Grandiose
« Last Edit: May 31, 2021, 08:31:03 AM by bovine421 »
Tete Nene Julie Juliet Carrie Ice Cream Coconut Cream Little Gem  Dot  Mallika PPK  OS  Pina Colada Cotton Candy Buxton Spice Karen Michelle M-4 Beverly Marc Anthony White Pirie Lychee Cherilata Plantain Barbados Cherry

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2021, 09:37:10 AM »
Feasted on a Sunburst/Fruit Cocktail for breakfast. So nice. Juicy and sweet, with a little complexity. No fiber. Delicious. 2nd best mango of the season so far, after the LZ that astounded yesterday.

Julie

• Miami, FL, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2021, 11:35:29 PM »
Does anyone know for sure that Sunburst is the same as Fruit Cocktail? I spoke with a grower who has tried both and he said that the fruit doesn’t even look the same. I’ve also had a Fruit Cocktail from another grower and the Sunburst from Dr Campbell and they didn’t taste the same and the Fruit Cocktail was a much larger fruit.

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2021, 09:58:18 AM »
Does anyone know for sure that Sunburst is the same as Fruit Cocktail? I spoke with a grower who has tried both and he said that the fruit doesn’t even look the same. I’ve also had a Fruit Cocktail from another grower and the Sunburst from Dr Campbell and they didn’t taste the same and the Fruit Cocktail was a much larger fruit.
So from your personal experience you can consider them two different varieties.  That's probably as good as it gets, aside from genetic testing.  Even the "experts" aren't perfect, as much as I respect those guys.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2021, 10:03:13 AM by johnb51 »
John

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2021, 11:35:51 AM »
So from your personal experience you can consider them two different varieties.  That's probably as good as it gets, aside from genetic testing.  Even the "experts" aren't perfect, as much as I respect those guys.
I am by means far from being an expert but I did stay at a Motel 6 and I am a YouTube plumber
I think the experts might say that is anecdotal evidence
If you go to Zill high performance and look at the different bins you will see a whole range in size of the same variety  I've seen Little Gem smaller than a cue ball then one that was as big as a softball.
And realistically how long is your flavor memory if you tasted a variety on the south end of The Grove by the time you walk to the North End and tasted the same variety would it be exactly the same maybe not. The Sugarloaf that I tasted last week was amazing but was it as good as the cotton candy I had last night. Even with the same variety from the same tree.Was the one that you had three days ago better than the one you had last night. I think it's probably the same fruit or a Seedling which does not constitute a new variety. But it does make for interesting discussion :)
« Last Edit: July 23, 2021, 11:38:44 AM by bovine421 »

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2021, 11:39:50 AM »

What are two different varieties?

As this is one of the varieties with multiple names, unless Dr. C has given a totally different fruit the same name, we seem to be dealing with misnamed trees.  Fruit Cocktail is not a large fruit.  Its small to medium, at best.

Here is one from the mother tree.

- Rob