Author Topic: Sugarloaf or Pineapple Pleasure  (Read 6636 times)

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
Re: Sugarloaf or Pineapple Pleasure
« Reply #25 on: June 16, 2021, 06:44:03 PM »
Make sure the LZ ST and PPK and Kathy’s are mostly yellow before you cut in to eat.
Does Lemon Zest  and Ppk have similar vigor?
If I ever get a chance to try lemon zest I might like it so much that I'll want to graft it to my PPK.
Tete Nene Julie Juliet Carrie Ice Cream Coconut Cream Little Gem  Dot  Mallika PPK  OS  Pina Colada Cotton Candy Buxton Spice Karen Michelle M-4 Beverly Marc Anthony White Pirie Lychee Cherilata Plantain Barbados Cherry

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 16, 2021, 07:10:18 PM »
Make sure the LZ ST and PPK and Kathy’s are mostly yellow before you cut in to eat.
If I ever get a chance to try lemon zest I might like it so much that I'll want to graft it to my PPK.

Vigor from a nursery grown/grafted tree and a topworked graft will differ.

I have seen the vigor on nursery grafted LZs differ from tree to tree.  From medium to very vigorous.
- Rob

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 16, 2021, 08:35:55 PM »

I have seen the vigor on nursery grafted LZs differ from tree to tree.  From medium to very vigorous.

How has the vigor of seedling LZs compared to grafted trees?

Honest Abe

• Biscayne Park, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 16, 2021, 09:21:56 PM »
You da man Weiss!

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 16, 2021, 09:36:55 PM »

The only seedling of LZ I am aware of is Yi Xaun.   The Yi Xaun mother tree was not vigorous however my grafted tree is, or now was (it had very weak branches and a powdery mildew magnet).  Step one of the topworking transformation is complete.
- Rob

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 16, 2021, 10:52:37 PM »
How timely is this!
https://youtu.be/4pAt5fw1rPs
The leaves of her Pineapple Pleasure tree are yellow.  Is this normal for the variety, or could the tree have a nutrient deficiency?
John

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 17, 2021, 12:01:38 PM »

The only seedling of LZ I am aware of is Yi Xaun.   The Yi Xaun mother tree was not vigorous however my grafted tree is, or now was (it had very weak branches and a powdery mildew magnet).  Step one of the topworking transformation is complete.

Damn Rob,

I was hoping Yi Xuan was less susceptible to PM.

Simon

JulianoGS

• USA, South Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 17, 2021, 12:22:19 PM »
Sugar loaf is the flavor bomb, like pina colada! Some say the tree is a compact grower and flowers pretty good.
Be very careful and mindful of what you sow, for whatever a man sows, that he will also reap.

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 17, 2021, 12:28:04 PM »
Sugar loaf is the flavor bomb, like pina colada! Some say the tree is a compact grower and flowers pretty good.

E4 flowers heavily but for me, pannicles produce mainly male flowers for the last 3 years (was received as a 1 gal in 2015, planted as a 15 gal in 2017).  I know some have had this issue and others have had good luck with production.
- Rob

palingkecil

• Los Angeles
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 17, 2021, 01:15:20 PM »
E4 in my yard is precocious, productive, and free of BM. Edgar, pickering, and orange sherbet nearby were hit hard by BM.
This is a picture of my E4, planted in ground 3 months ago.
The picture is the 2nd blooms, I cut the 1st one.
The tree is only 2.5 ft, but it was holding 20+ fruitlets. I cut majority of it, but left 2 or 3 just want to see how long the tree can hold them. Eventually I will cut thwm all off.

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 17, 2021, 01:24:38 PM »
E4 in my yard is precocious, productive, and free of BM. Edgar, pickering, and orange sherbet nearby were hit hard by BM.
The tree is only 2.5 ft, but it was holding 20+ fruitlets. I cut majority of it, but left 2 or 3 just want to see how long the tree can hold them. Eventually I will cut thwm all off.

Precocious refers to fruiting and production, not flowering.  How in the world can you say that tree is anything as far as production.  Its the size of a 3 gal and should not be let to hold any fruit...unless you are trying to kill it.

What is BM?
- Rob

Tommyng

• Acreage florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 17, 2021, 02:01:44 PM »
E4 is a nice tree and tastes great, it also has a wide period of great flavor.. I’ve had PP but a majority were just average with a couple being exceptional, like fruit punch which also has a narrow window of being perfect. Sweet tart, that’s another one with a long period of excellent flavor. That said, I grow all of them because they are good mangos.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2021, 03:05:49 PM by Tommyng »
Don’t rush, take time and enjoy life and food.

palingkecil

• Los Angeles
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 17, 2021, 02:13:51 PM »

Precocious refers to fruiting and production, not flowering.  How in the world can you say that tree is anything as far as production.  Its the size of a 3 gal and should not be let to hold any fruit...unless you are trying to kill it.

What is BM?
Hi Rob,

I am not an experienced mango snob at all.
Still learning from all the experts here.
I planted 10 grafted mango trees in ground about 3 months ago.
So far so good. Some of them try to hold fruits immudiately, like the E4.
It flowers and held about 20+ fruitlets on February this year. I cut all of the fruits when they reached about pea size. Then it flowers again within a month and has almost 20+ fruitlets again.
Just cut most of those off last week.

Compared to my Kathy, Edgar, Peach Cobbler, Son Pari, Venus, CAC, PPK, Dwarf Hawaiian, and Orange Sherbet, or M4, the E4 was holding the most fruitlets in my yard for me. My area is very hot and dry.
Of course my 2 years experience in growing mango is nothing compared to everyone else here.
When I was in Asia, growing mango was an absurd idea, since we can buy fresh tree ripen mangoes for really cheap everyday.
It is PM, not BM, forgive my typo, i am a bit slow learner in language.

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 17, 2021, 03:23:10 PM »

What is BM?
Hi Rob,

I am not an experienced mango snob at all.
Still learning from all the experts here.
I planted 10 grafted mango trees in ground about 3 months ago.
So far so good. Some of them try to hold fruits immudiately, like the E4.
It flowers and held about 20+ fruitlets on February this year. I cut all of the fruits when they reached about pea size. Then it flowers again within a month and has almost 20+ fruitlets again.
Just cut most of those off last week.

Compared to my Kathy, Edgar, Peach Cobbler, Son Pari, Venus, CAC, PPK, Dwarf Hawaiian, and Orange Sherbet, or M4, the E4 was holding the most fruitlets in my yard for me. My area is very hot and dry.
Of course my 2 years experience in growing mango is nothing compared to everyone else here.
When I was in Asia, growing mango was an absurd idea, since we can buy fresh tree ripen mangoes for really cheap everyday.
It is PM, not BM, forgive my typo, i am a bit slow learner in language.

Its all good.  You should discuss growing mangoes with some of the Cali forum members, such as Simon.  There are also specific posts on growing mangoes in California which should be helpful.  Growing and care in Florida is very different than same in California.
- Rob

Honest Abe

• Biscayne Park, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 17, 2021, 10:21:08 PM »
My E4 also produced mainly male
Flowers. It’s still my favorite mango though so I will pray that it’s like Alex Salazar said, something like:

Sugarloaf May produce dominant male
Flowers, however the few female flowers on a E4 tree may set fruit more efficiently.

So there is hope.
My tree is too young to speculate but I had a couple
Fruit I cut off my 3 year old
Tree this year, tree was about 6.5 ft.

Pineapple pleasure is Supposedly a shy producer, but I had hoped more
People had experience growing it for a few years
And could
Share.

Southern cal is no indication for a Miami grower like me but many of our Zill varieties probably do better up there anyway.

acoff87

• south florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 17, 2021, 11:01:55 PM »
Yo homie, nice thread. ;) Looks like i have more scions to source once i get my big girls some hair cuts this year.
Sounds like i need get buying some quality fruit to try before seasons over.

Honest Abe

• Biscayne Park, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 18, 2021, 06:54:50 PM »
Yo homie, nice thread. ;) Looks like i have more scions to source once i get my big girls some hair cuts this year.
Sounds like i need get buying some quality fruit to try before seasons over.

OR YOU CAN JUST DRIVE TO MY GARAGE!

Sleepdoc

• Davie, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 02, 2021, 01:58:45 PM »
As evaluating mango’s often goes, my impression of pineapple pleasure has changed.  This year it is easily my #1.  Truly amazing taste that has blown away almost everyone who has had the pleasure of trying it.

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 02, 2021, 04:18:19 PM »
And how does M-4 compare to these two?  This year's crop hasn't ripened yet?
John

Honest Abe

• Biscayne Park, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 02, 2021, 10:33:38 PM »
Sleepdoc, I have to agree. It was just RIDICULOUS this year. Trying to find a tree for my yard to go with my sugarloaf and I’ll have an annual rival taste test.

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: July 02, 2021, 11:15:34 PM »
Did anyone notice that Pineapple Pleasure tastes like a giant Pina Colada? Last time I had a Pineapple Pleasure, it was sweet but had a sharp pineapple acidity that was perfectly balanced. It really reminded me of a larger Pina Colada which to me has a strong sweet component as well as a strong tart component. I rarely pick up any coconut in Pina Colada. Pineapple Pleasure is an excellent mango in my opinion!

Simon

weiss613

• Miami
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 03, 2021, 05:56:35 PM »
An update on my PP experience so far this season. Since it’s my first crop and I only got 5 fruit from 13 PP trees in Miami I screwed up on my timing to cut into the 1st 4 fruit. It’s a bit tricky. They start off 1000% clean then when they start getting ready to pick they get a dirty kind of look in the skin. Not like anthracnose but like a black spotty look and the base color looks like it starts getting a dark yellowish look. So it’s been tricky and I blew the first 4. One is still on its tree and I hope I can time it right with my last chance. One thing that screwed my brain was I read on the forum that the thing gets so big that you’re afraid it’s gonna fall off and get messed up from the impact so I had that in my mind and I guess I picked the fruit too early.
I have 2 new #1’s to add to my other #1’s. Kathy I’m crazy about and today I had my first Orange Sherbet. I picked it 13 days ago and ate it today and before I ate it I never believed it would ripen and be good but it was so great I have to put it ahead of it’s sisters L Zest and L Meringue. From today henceforth I will only graft Orange Sherbet when I graft.

Johnny Eat Fruit

• So. California, Huntington Beach. Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 03, 2021, 06:25:07 PM »
Simon,

Glad to hear you liked Pineapple Pleasure. I successfully grafted this scion onto an Ataulfo seedling tree I have in a seven-gallon container. Once the tree gets bigger I will graft it onto several other older Manila trees I have in the ground later this summer. Hopefully, this cultivar will do well in California.  Should have fruit to try out in 2-3 years. 

Johnny

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 03, 2021, 07:01:31 PM »
An update on my PP experience so far this season. Since it’s my first crop and I only got 5 fruit from 13 PP trees in Miami I screwed up on my timing to cut into the 1st 4 fruit. It’s a bit tricky. They start off 1000% clean then when they start getting ready to pick they get a dirty kind of look in the skin. Not like anthracnose but like a black spotty look and the base color looks like it starts getting a dark yellowish look. So it’s been tricky and I blew the first 4. One is still on its tree and I hope I can time it right with my last chance. One thing that screwed my brain was I read on the forum that the thing gets so big that you’re afraid it’s gonna fall off and get messed up from the impact so I had that in my mind and I guess I picked the fruit too early.
I have 2 new #1’s to add to my other #1’s. Kathy I’m crazy about and today I had my first Orange Sherbet. I picked it 13 days ago and ate it today and before I ate it I never believed it would ripen and be good but it was so great I have to put it ahead of it’s sisters L Zest and L Meringue. From today henceforth I will only graft Orange Sherbet when I graft.
It's music to my ears that you like orange sherbet.
After becoming educated from Alex's website and this forum. The first tree I planted was Pickering the second was sweet tart and the third was orange sherbert. Alex and Dr. Campbell seem very fond of this variety
Tete Nene Julie Juliet Carrie Ice Cream Coconut Cream Little Gem  Dot  Mallika PPK  OS  Pina Colada Cotton Candy Buxton Spice Karen Michelle M-4 Beverly Marc Anthony White Pirie Lychee Cherilata Plantain Barbados Cherry

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 03, 2021, 08:50:49 PM »
Simon,

Glad to hear you liked Pineapple Pleasure. I successfully grafted this scion onto an Ataulfo seedling tree I have in a seven-gallon container. Once the tree gets bigger I will graft it onto several other older Manila trees I have in the ground later this summer. Hopefully, this cultivar will do well in California.  Should have fruit to try out in 2-3 years. 

Johnny

Hey Johnny,

So far PP has been very disease resistant fir me even with lots of Powdery Mildew in my yard. I grafted PP onto multiple trees and it set fruit on every tree I grafted it onto. Here’s a picture of a PP graft on a random seedling.

Simon