Author Topic: Adansonia digitata (baobab) care  (Read 724 times)

Plantinyum

• Bulgaria , near Sofia city , planting zone 7
    • View Profile
Adansonia digitata (baobab) care
« on: June 19, 2021, 06:20:44 AM »
Hello, just got those seedling baobabs . What is the general care for these plants, I have heard they have a distinct rest period in which u should not water them at all ??
One of them is already swelled at the bottom. Anybody experienced with this species ,it will be a pot culture for me.

elouicious

• Houston, Tx
    • View Profile
Re: Adansonia digitata (baobab) care
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2021, 10:58:11 AM »
I have some big, probably bonsai'd at this point, trees that lose their leaves during the cold months which is the sign to cut back on watering- I bring them inside when temps get below 50f

I have mine in cactus soil and a fabric pot so drainage is essentially free but they seem to be pretty tolerant of watering especially during the hotter months

Plantinyum

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2021, 02:58:19 PM »
I have some big, probably bonsai'd at this point, trees that lose their leaves during the cold months which is the sign to cut back on watering- I bring them inside when temps get below 50f

I have mine in cactus soil and a fabric pot so drainage is essentially free but they seem to be pretty tolerant of watering especially during the hotter months
thank u I will transplant them to a little bigger pots with good soil mix with perlite, and water sparingly .
I am kind of worried about the plants rest period , I suppose the plant can stay in a darkish /with no direct sun room in the house when it does not have leaves?? At what temps  are u keeping them over winter, when in rest ?? Thank u !

Andreas Gia

• Houston, TX
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2021, 03:49:29 PM »
You might just want to transplant them into a larger container. My experience is that the container size limits how large the tree will get. They get big very quickly if given the right conditions. The swollen part is part of the plant that is supposed to be underground so I’d plant that part below the soil line. I have a few different species of baobab and my experience is to just keep them in the same spot and not to bother them. If temperatures stay the same throughout the year they (in my experience) won’t lose their leaves all at once but just hold onto them. For a few months until they know when to start growing again if you’re growing them in a greenhouse. But once the temperatures do dip or if they go down, then the trees will lose their leaves. One of my baobabs broke dormancy after 5 months. Watered it regularly (probably not as often as I typically would when it’s leaves were gone). Had it in direct sunlight. Only issue and the previous post mentioned it is soil saturation. When it’s leaves are gone (if they drop) do not overwater because the swollen part and the roots can rot.

Plantinyum

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2021, 04:16:59 PM »
You might just want to transplant them into a larger container. My experience is that the container size limits how large the tree will get. They get big very quickly if given the right conditions. The swollen part is part of the plant that is supposed to be underground so I’d plant that part below the soil line. I have a few different species of baobab and my experience is to just keep them in the same spot and not to bother them. If temperatures stay the same throughout the year they (in my experience) won’t lose their leaves all at once but just hold onto them. For a few months until they know when to start growing again if you’re growing them in a greenhouse. But once the temperatures do dip or if they go down, then the trees will lose their leaves. One of my baobabs broke dormancy after 5 months. Watered it regularly (probably not as often as I typically would when it’s leaves were gone). Had it in direct sunlight. Only issue and the previous post mentioned it is soil saturation. When it’s leaves are gone (if they drop) do not overwater because the swollen part and the roots can rot.
thanks for the feedback , I will be growing them in pots, I could prolly plant one of them in my gh but its way to small and crowded already. Yes will definitely up pot them with a fast draining homemade soil mix ,besides the perlite I will sprinkle some sand also....

elouicious

• Houston, Tx
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2021, 08:24:05 PM »

thank u I will transplant them to a little bigger pots with good soil mix with perlite, and water sparingly .
I am kind of worried about the plants rest period , I suppose the plant can stay in a darkish /with no direct sun room in the house when it does not have leaves?? At what temps  are u keeping them over winter, when in rest ?? Thank u !

Happy to help another grower of these strange an beautiful plants- Andreas has some good advice there too- I do not provide any additional lighting other than maybe putting them by a window for the 3 month period- temps over winter stay above 50- but mine were actually in the GH this year when the storm hit and they experience a brief dip to 30f- I wouldn't recommend that- when they do not have leaves I would say water like a cactus- every 2 weeks to a month, during the hot season here they can take daily watering

Plantinyum

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2021, 03:53:44 AM »

Happy to help another grower of these strange an beautiful plants- Andreas has some good advice there too- I do not provide any additional lighting other than maybe putting them by a window for the 3 month period- temps over winter stay above 50- but mine were actually in the GH this year when the storm hit and they experience a brief dip to 30f- I wouldn't recommend that- when they do not have leaves I would say water like a cactus- every 2 weeks to a month, during the hot season here they can take daily watering

excellent, I bought them a week ago actually ,so have not messed with this species for long ...I haven't transplanted them yet and havent watered them also, they do not show signs of water stress by now, will water them a little today.

fliptop

• SWFL10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2021, 02:54:28 PM »
I got Adansonia fony seeds a little over a year ago and had a great germination rate. I'm new to keeping Adansonia. They grew about a foot tall and then turned into sticks for the winter. I brought them in (when I remembered😋) when it got cold (30s and 40s F). Due to potential frost where I live, these will be container grown. Since the rainy season started, they've come to life again, with lots of new growth. I honestly don't monitor these much--they're exposed to sun and rain and the occasional hand watering if things get dry.

Plantinyum

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2021, 05:52:03 AM »
I got Adansonia fony seeds a little over a year ago and had a great germination rate. I'm new to keeping Adansonia. They grew about a foot tall and then turned into sticks for the winter. I brought them in (when I remembered😋) when it got cold (30s and 40s F). Due to potential frost where I live, these will be container grown. Since the rainy season started, they've come to life again, with lots of new growth. I honestly don't monitor these much--they're exposed to sun and rain and the occasional hand watering if things get dry.

this species actually looks more interesting to me, compared to digitata. Looks like a mini version of the baobab species at the alley of the baobabs in madagascar ..

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk