Author Topic: Airlayer for annonas  (Read 764 times)

dxgn

• Singapore
    • View Profile
Airlayer for annonas
« on: June 23, 2021, 01:25:28 PM »
Hi, I have tried to airlayer my annona recticulata tree, but failed each time.
Any success stories out there and what contribute to that.

Jet

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
Re: Airlayer for annonas
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2021, 07:51:22 AM »
It works with ilamas and maybe its the season. They have to be left on for a long time.

Plantinyum

• Bulgaria , near Sofia city , planting zone 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2021, 08:41:32 AM »
Does cherimoya also lend itself to air layering ??

Galatians522

• Florida 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2021, 10:45:23 PM »

I have had little success air layering anonas thus far (largely because the branch snaps off before it can root because the wood is incredibly weak after the bark is removed).

However, I read a book from Australia where they describe a method for air layering cherimoya (which is usually considered difficult to root by that method). The branches are cut back so they sprout vigorously. Then, a wire or clip is placed around the shoot instead of cutting and scraping the bark and a soil filled bag used as the rooting media. The vigorous shoot becomes etoliated (shoots that have experienced low light levels root better) because the rooting media blocks the light and the wire slowly girdles the branch without weakening the branch as much as the traditional girdling method. I have seen articles about a similar method used in layering avocado for use as clonal rootstocks. I think it would work for most difficult to root plants.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2021, 10:47:07 PM by Galatians522 »

Plantinyum

• Bulgaria , near Sofia city , planting zone 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2021, 05:44:00 AM »

I have had little success air layering anonas thus far (largely because the branch snaps off before it can root because the wood is incredibly weak after the bark is removed).

However, I read a book from Australia where they describe a method for air layering cherimoya (which is usually considered difficult to root by that method). The branches are cut back so they sprout vigorously. Then, a wire or clip is placed around the shoot instead of cutting and scraping the bark and a soil filled bag used as the rooting media. The vigorous shoot becomes etoliated (shoots that have experienced low light levels root better) because the rooting media blocks the light and the wire slowly girdles the branch without weakening the branch as much as the traditional girdling method. I have seen articles about a similar method used in layering avocado for use as clonal rootstocks. I think it would work for most difficult to root plants.
thanks for this!!!I will try this method once my two plants gain some size to them ....