Author Topic: Planning a Trip to San Diego  (Read 1193 times)

elouicious

• Houston, Tx
    • View Profile
Planning a Trip to San Diego
« on: August 09, 2021, 04:50:17 PM »
Hey All-

Planning a weekend trip out to San Diego in the next couple weeks and looking to get some fruit tasting in-

I am already planning to go to quail/San Diego Botanic gardens but any and all suggestions are appreciated!

« Last Edit: August 09, 2021, 04:57:48 PM by elouicious »

FV Fruit Freak

• USA, Southern California, Fountain Valley, 10B
    • View Profile
Re: Planning a Trip to San Diego
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2021, 06:33:57 PM »
Check out Exotica Nursery, ran by Steve who’s a legend...Whatever fruit they have ripening on their trees they sometimes put out for customers to try. I haven’t been there in a few years though so call ahead.
Nate

shaneatwell

• California, San Diego, sunset 23 and 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2021, 07:10:00 PM »
Shoot me a personal message when you decide on dates. If I'm in town I can feed you some curiosities and show you my yard.
Shane

elouicious

• Houston, Tx
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2021, 11:13:21 AM »
Thanks Shane!

Will certainly take you up on that-

watched a couple youtube videos about exotica and it looks amazing- although most recent vid I could find was from 3 years ago so will confirm before going-

Does anyone know the fruit policy at quail/ san diego botanic? can you pick as you please?

Groovyfruit

• Redlands, CA 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2021, 12:53:41 PM »
Hi There,

I was at San Diego Botanic garden (Encinitas) last week, and it's got a nice collection of trees and shrubs (and a Children's garden too).  While I did see some tropical fruit trees, it was clear that fruit is for display and not for picking or sale.  I am not a San Diego native however-- some may be able to point toward other fruit stands or farmers' markets that would be good for tasting.

Hope that helps.
TC

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2021, 01:17:55 PM »
I would say go for people watching at the beach and maybe some nice meals at some resturaunts.  Theres really not a lot of places to just show up and try fruit in san diego. 
Brad Spaugh

shaneatwell

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2021, 01:44:17 PM »
Thanks Shane!

Will certainly take you up on that-

watched a couple youtube videos about exotica and it looks amazing- although most recent vid I could find was from 3 years ago so will confirm before going-

Does anyone know the fruit policy at quail/ san diego botanic? can you pick as you please?

Officially you're not supposed to take any fruit. If i see a fruit I've never tried, I risk getting yelled at. If you go midday in the middle of the week the place is empty. They don't have many impressive varieties, though there's a Kei apple by the gardening shed that's quite good.
Shane

SHV

• Escondido, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2021, 01:50:18 PM »
I have visited SD botanical garden several times and had no issues with sampling fruits from the heavy producing trees (pitanga, rose apple, stone fruit).  I wouldnt recommend cutting down banana racks or harvesting their mangos.  That might draw their ire. 
Exotica is a great place to visit, sample fruit, and check out all the rare plants.  If I'm in the area, I sometimes drop by just to walk through and enjoy the oddities.  There should be plenty of fruit in season over there. 
Those are the only two places I know of were you can find some tasty treats.

shaneatwell

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2021, 02:21:26 PM »
Vista Farmer's Market on Saturday mornings is worth considering. Mixed but always interesting in terms of food, fruit and plants. Ben Poirier is often there and you could call him in advance and see if he has any fruit he'd be willing to bring.

Ben is in the 4th picture i think:
https://www.vistafarmersmarket.com/
Shane

John B

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2021, 11:43:57 AM »
I was told by an employee at SD Botanical Garden that they use systemic pest control for a lot of their trees that are not safe for human consumption. Granted, that was 10 years ago and I was asking to grab a black sapote, so the employee may have been trying to deter me.

Good luck on your search. Wish there were more options over here... On the weekend, Ongs is open as well and they have some fruit out to sample.

driftwood

• my name is driftwood, nice to meet you
    • Arizona 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2021, 09:38:39 PM »
There's an amazing farm stand in Rincon by Valley Center. Have gotten good cherimoyas and other things. Theres a couple good farmers markets. Del Mar farmers Market, Carlsbad farmers market, and OB farmers market are all good

Molo

• san diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2021, 09:58:06 PM »
Specialty Produce in Old Town is open to public daily 8-5

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk