Author Topic: Sapodilla  (Read 1674 times)

buddy roo

• Spring Valley, Ca.
    • View Profile
Sapodilla
« on: August 15, 2021, 10:32:13 AM »
Hi All, I have a friend near me in southern Ca. with a Sapodille tree that blooms every year but never sets fruit, any ideas to get it to set fruit?

pinkturtle

• LA county, CA Zone 10B
    • View Profile
Re: Sapodilla
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2021, 10:38:34 AM »
« Last Edit: August 15, 2021, 10:40:45 AM by pinkturtle »

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2021, 10:51:03 AM »
That makes sense, I have 2 trees (7ft tall) which flowers and gets about 2-8 fruits each year and I don't cross pollinate them. But for me the fruits only gets to about 2-3 inches before they disappear, not sure if its fruit rats or birds taking it.

achetadomestica

• FLORIDA 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2021, 11:23:41 AM »
I have several sapodillas including Silas Wood, makok, haysa, and moreno and
they all set too much fruit. Each branch gets 4-5 and I have to leave one and thin the
rest to avoid the branches from breaking. I live in Florida and they love the temps/humidity.
I never hand pollinate and it seems like the ants are doing the pollination more then bees

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2021, 02:54:01 PM »
My Alano sets fruit on its own. It is one of the better producers for SoCal. My tree is still very small so I e been removing the fruit once they get marble size.

Simon

gnappi

• South East Florida (U.S.A) Zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2021, 03:36:28 PM »
My Makok is the only sap I know of in my area and it sets fruit every year. After sugar apple they are my gf's fave fruit.
Regards,

Gary

buddy roo

• Spring Valley, Ca.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2021, 12:46:37 AM »
Hi All, I have a friend near me in southern Ca. with a Sapodille tree that blooms every year but never sets fruit, any ideas to get it to set fruit?
this tree is about 8' tall and in the ground about 10 years,

JoeP450

• Mahaha Chinook
    • Palm City FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2021, 12:34:11 AM »
Just to add my butterscotch has flowered for two years and nothing…. I planted an alano next to it… both are loaded with fruit forming. Super excited to try butterscotch finally.

-joe

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2021, 12:37:43 AM »
Joe, just curious how old is your Butterscotch tree? I have a few small plants and wondering how long it will be before I see flowers/fruits.

JoeP450

• Mahaha Chinook
    • Palm City FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2021, 09:46:17 AM »
Joe, just curious how old is your Butterscotch tree? I have a few small plants and wondering how long it will be before I see flowers/fruits.

Hey sorry for late response,

I’m not sure the actual age I’m gonna guess 3-4 years post graft. The tree has 13 fruits on it developing while also more new flowers. ….probably should cull some of the fruit. When I first planted it was flowering but I swear it wasn’t till I planted the Alano next to it that it started fruiting.

-joe

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2021, 12:21:26 PM »
Nice tree, thanks for posting the photos. I'll need to remember to plant mine with the Alano next to it as well. I will need to dig up some trees and make room for the Butterscotch and Alano in the ground this year.

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2021, 01:19:43 PM »
I thought I read somewhere that vibrating the flowers helps with pollination. It could be a figment of my imagination?

Simon

John B

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2021, 01:51:19 PM »
I thought I read somewhere that vibrating the flowers helps with pollination. It could be a figment of my imagination?

Simon

Yes, I saw that too. As well as gently squeezing the flower. I used a tiny paintbrush and hand pollinated. I just wanted to see if they will set fruit on their own (Alano with no other trees around). It looks like the fruit is forming. Once I confirm, I will remove them this year. I'll let it fruit next year.

Also, would just grafting another variety help? If so, I would be interested in exchanging scions if anyone wants for cross pollination.

John B

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2021, 01:53:29 PM »

Hey sorry for late response,

I’m not sure the actual age I’m gonna guess 3-4 years post graft. The tree has 13 fruits on it developing while also more new flowers. ….probably should cull some of the fruit. When I first planted it was flowering but I swear it wasn’t till I planted the Alano next to it that it started fruiting.

-joe

Nice looking tree. Wondering if it should be staked to assist the graft union and trunk to grow straight? I am not an expert so I do not know but looks like it could break once the tree holds more fruit?

Odenwald

• West central Florida 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2021, 03:05:22 PM »
I have more than one sapodilla tree now, but even when I had just one it would self-pollinate.

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2021, 03:08:49 PM »
John B, I can tell you that Alano doesn't need any other varieties or sapodilla nearby for flowers/fruits. My 2 trees get fruits every year but since the trees are still not that large (6-7ft) and have skinny branches, I don't seem to get fruits to mature to full size. Or maybe fruit mice/rats are getting to them when the fruit is about 3". I don't see any fruits on the ground and the fruits just disappear. Maybe this year I will need to put a bag over the fruits.

If you have other variety than Alano let me know and I would trade a few cuttings with you. I have 2 Alano and 1 Makok (never had flowers yet). The Alano fruits every year but the fruits drop/go missing before it reaches full size.

John B

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2021, 03:20:21 PM »
John B, I can tell you that Alano doesn't need any other varieties or sapodilla nearby for flowers/fruits. My 2 trees get fruits every year but since the trees are still not that large (6-7ft) and have skinny branches, I don't seem to get fruits to mature to full size. Or maybe fruit mice/rats are getting to them when the fruit is about 3". I don't see any fruits on the ground and the fruits just disappear. Maybe this year I will need to put a bag over the fruits.

If you have other variety than Alano let me know and I would trade a few cuttings with you. I have 2 Alano and 1 Makok (never had flowers yet). The Alano fruits every year but the fruits drop/go missing before it reaches full size.

I only have the Alano. I'd assume like other trees cross pollination would assist in size and percent of fertilization? Good to know it doesn't need it (also confirmed by others). Yeah, if the fruit held on my tree, it would flop over!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk