Author Topic: GOJI Berries  (Read 668 times)

BobHawks

• Los Angeles ca
    • View Profile
GOJI Berries
« on: August 16, 2021, 08:19:46 PM »
dumb question.  First year our tree is getting a lot of fruit.  how big do you let them get before picking?  1/2 inch,  larger?

LuvFig

• USA, CA/SoCal, Los Angeles, 10B
    • View Profile
Re: GOJI Berries
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2021, 08:40:53 PM »
dumb question.  First year our tree is getting a lot of fruit.  how big do you let them get before picking?  1/2 inch,  larger?

Mine is still in pot so can't comment on the size compared to in ground tree.  However, I picked them when they are soft to touch and in deep orange/red color.

brian

• Pennsylvania (zone 6) w/ heated greenhouse
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2021, 09:00:38 PM »
They don't last long once they are ripe so you'll know if you waited too long when they start to shrivel.  I have two types and they both produce similar berries, about 1/4" and slightly translucent tomato-red when ripe.  They are really bland if you pick them early.  Moderately sweet if you pick them at the right time. 

Mine are very small, in containers, from cuttings.  I didn't even know the berries could reach 1/2" in size
« Last Edit: August 16, 2021, 11:07:42 PM by brian »

Daintree

• Boise, Idaho - zone 6, with a zone 12 greenhouse...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2021, 11:54:29 AM »
I pick mine once they look bright red/orange/  They range anywhere from 1/4 to 1/2 inch in size, maybe depending on how much sun each berry gets?  They ripen SUPER fast.  I can clean my bush one day of all red berries, and the next day there are more.  If you wait too long they shrivel and fall, so get out there and pick as soon as they turn that brilliant color.

Carolyn

BobHawks

• Los Angeles ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2021, 05:56:36 PM »
thank you all

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk