Author Topic: The two mangoes you wish their hybrid existed  (Read 673 times)

mangoba

• US - Mediterranean
    • View Profile
The two mangoes you wish their hybrid existed
« on: September 05, 2021, 02:31:47 PM »
Every great mango seems to be missing that one thing.

Let's suppose we create a one perfect mango out of two other varieties, what would you pick?

From my side, I would try an Alphonso with a Keitt. The goal is to get a reliable Alphonso or a Keitt with an Indian spice.

What is your combo?

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
Re: The two mangoes you wish their hybrid existed
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2021, 04:48:51 PM »
 :) No offense, and just for the sake of argument...Could this might be like saying you should combine the two greatest perfumes to make a super-perfume or combine the best Italian wine with the best French wine to create a super-wine?  I would argue with "every great mango seems to be missing that one thing."  Maybe you haven't tasted a great mango? ???
« Last Edit: September 06, 2021, 08:42:52 AM by johnb51 »
John

mangoba

• US - Mediterranean
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2021, 06:40:33 PM »
:) No offense, and just for the sake of argument...Could this might be like saying you should combine the two greatest perfumes to make a super-perfume or combine the best Italian wine with the best French wine to create a super-wine?  I could give other examples of such "hybrids."  I would argue with "every great mango seems to be missing that one thing."  Maybe you haven't tasted a great mango? ???

Maybe I haven't phrased it correctly then, what is that one great mango that you wish it also had that one other characteristic :) Think of a Lemon Zest without the disease susceptibility for example...

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2021, 07:48:21 PM »
Gary Zill's breeding program was about trying to create great mangos.  Disease susceptibility is another issue.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2021, 08:00:36 PM by johnb51 »
John

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk