Author Topic: Passiflora quadrangullaris mineral deficiency or overwattering ??  (Read 452 times)

Plantinyum

• Bulgaria , near Sofia city , planting zone 7
    • View Profile
This plant seems to be having some kind of a problem, its growing normally thought. The new leaves ado not get affected ,but when they get mature the discoloration slowly shows up.
I digged arround the plants root perrimeter and it seems to me tha a vine with so much vegetative mass shoul have a thick mat of feeder roots near the base. I did not saw any...the  soil is moist. I am thinking now that i have overwatered the plant and the feeder roots died off, which in return leads to it not being able to support its growth. I have had such things happen to different plants in the past...
Thanks for your opinion on the problem, i want to get the plants as healthy as possible since its starting to form flower buds and i will be self pollinating theese in hope for a fruit set. I'll quit wattering it, untill it shows some watter stress sighns, in case the problem is too much water.

MisterPlantee

• Ontario, Canada
    • View Profile
Re: Passiflora quadrangullaris mineral deficiency or overwattering ??
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2021, 09:16:49 AM »
I had a similar issue with P. decaisneana which I had grown in a pot and spread into a 6x12' mass. Perhaps the same issue. I had let it grow with minimal fertilizer/intervention to get it to flower. After a while buds started to come but would turn yellow and fall off, also the older foliage became discolored, veiny with yellow, but the new growth was fine. Seemed like some nutritional deficiency so I added some micronutrient solution and hen manure pellets and that cured the older foliage and the buds.

Plantinyum

• Bulgaria , near Sofia city , planting zone 7
    • View Profile
Re: Passiflora quadrangullaris mineral deficiency or overwattering ??
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2021, 02:21:34 PM »
I had a similar issue with P. decaisneana which I had grown in a pot and spread into a 6x12' mass. Perhaps the same issue. I had let it grow with minimal fertilizer/intervention to get it to flower. After a while buds started to come but would turn yellow and fall off, also the older foliage became discolored, veiny with yellow, but the new growth was fine. Seemed like some nutritional deficiency so I added some micronutrient solution and hen manure pellets and that cured the older foliage and the buds.
thanks, maybe i should be fertilizing it harder. I will wait for the soil to get drier and then water with some kind of fert. Mine is also setting alot of buds now, there are no yellow buds to this moment, all healthy green and growing ....

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk