Author Topic: Help ID some seedlings  (Read 1111 times)

shmojojojo

• Southern California, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Help ID some seedlings
« on: September 08, 2021, 02:39:37 AM »
This might be Pink Ilama. I don't grow this, but a seller threw in some free Ilama seeds, so it might be that. Took a year to sprout outdoors. Bottom of the leaves feel kinda rough.

This seedling popped up in a pot from a tree bought at a tropical fruit nursery. Assuming the seed was from a fruit in the nursery, it should be pretty common.

Thanks
« Last Edit: September 13, 2021, 08:19:35 PM by shmojojojo »

W.

• United States, Alabama, 7b
    • View Profile
Re: Help ID some seedlings
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2021, 07:09:09 PM »
The bottom one is not a Rose Apple, the leaves are too wide and a different shade of green. They both look kind of like Jackfruits, particularly if the leaves are rough. I too find that young seedlings are hard to identify, though.

shmojojojo

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2021, 08:43:02 PM »
The bottom one is not a Rose Apple, the leaves are too wide and a different shade of green. They both look kind of like Jackfruits, particularly if the leaves are rough. I too find that young seedlings are hard to identify, though.

It does look a bit like Jackfruit, but the first one can't be. I potted those seeds myself about 1.5 years ago. They weren't big enough to be a Jackfruit seed.

The second one could be anything. The seedling was from a pot from a tropical fruit nursery, so I assume it came from a fruit there. They don't have a fruiting Jackfruit, so I'm not sure. I transplanted when it was very small and it wasn't clinging to a big seed. Should be something pretty common assuming it came from a nursery fruit. I thought it was Rose Apple for a while, but you're right, it doesn't really look like it anymore.

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2021, 08:56:39 PM »
I don't think the first one is ilama.

NateTheGreat

• SF Bay Area, 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2021, 08:57:01 PM »
Maybe first is a citrus?

shmojojojo

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2021, 09:02:32 PM »
Maybe first is a citrus?

It's funny you say that, because there were a few citrus seedlings that popped up too. Maybe the workers were tossing the seeds in. Those smelled like citrus right away. This one doesn't smell like citrus. Leaves are much bigger than the citrus seedlings.

digigarden

• Maurice or digigarden
    • Dominican Republic,Santo Domingo- Miami.FL addr
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2021, 07:31:57 AM »
crush the smallest or deformed leaf and smell it so that might give you a clue

shmojojojo

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2021, 11:05:12 PM »
crush the smallest or deformed leaf and smell it so that might give you a clue

I crushed leaves from both seedlings. Not very fragrant and hard to describe. Like a really overripe green apple that is turning brown. Or like iodine solution with a mustiness. Very faint smell, but not very pleasant. I believe they're different species, but the leaves smelled somewhat similar. No distinct fruit smell for either one.

e: Gave my fingers another whiff and it definitely smells like iodine.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2021, 05:36:07 AM by shmojojojo »

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2021, 05:23:59 AM »
I don't think either one is a citrus. The leaves are not citrus and the tip growth is not how citrus grows. The stem looks like it has some fuzzy hairs, citrus doesn't have that, at least none of my citrus and I grow a lot of varieties.

digigarden

• Maurice or digigarden
    • Dominican Republic,Santo Domingo- Miami.FL addr
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2021, 07:30:22 AM »
not a citrus you would have known by the appearance and smell... maybe ask the nursery if they know what they are...if not maybe it's something "wild"-seed that was in the soil.

Triphal

• US, Midatlantic, Charles Town, 6b + Lowland Tropical Zone 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2021, 09:30:26 AM »
Looking at all the leaves, beg to differ that they show some resemblance in color or shape of any varieties of jackfruit seedlings.

shmojojojo

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2021, 10:28:13 PM »
Thanks for the responses. Maybe it's too early. I guess I'll throw them in a 1gal and see how they look next year. I still feel like first one is some kind of ilama/annona species.

Also, I mixed up the origins of the plants and photos. Doesn't really matter, but I corrected my original post.