Author Topic: Sending a plant to USA  (Read 1642 times)

digigarden

• Maurice or digigarden
    • Dominican Republic,Santo Domingo- Miami.FL addr
    • View Profile
Sending a plant to USA
« on: February 22, 2022, 03:23:20 PM »
shipping company:hi, how may we help you?
me: hi, good day. i have a question.
how can i sent a plant to a USA
them:where exactly?
me: idk say Miami
them: you would have to call DHL because we don't have that service
yadda yadda(fast forward)
*calls DHL
DHL: how may we serve you yadda yadda
me: blabla(i want to send a plant to USA) blabla
DHL: sorry it's forbidden by law.
me: what if the receiver has a permit?
DHL: IT'S FORBIDDEN SIR, anything else?
me: no ty. *hangs up the phone
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
hmm really? i'm sure you guys have received international plants before?

driftwood

• my name is driftwood, nice to meet you
    • Arizona 9b
    • View Profile
Re: Sending a plant to USA
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2022, 05:52:19 PM »
needs a phyto inspection certificate

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2022, 07:59:34 PM »
It's not at all forbidden. You just need to get a phytosanitary certificate from your country's agriculture department. Call them to see what the requirements for that are. Many private couriers don't like to deal with plants, some outright don't do it. It might be better if you can send it express EMS through regular postal service. You could also send it air freight, which would be a lot faster, but more costly.
Oscar

digigarden

• Maurice or digigarden
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2022, 09:00:54 PM »
thanks i had an idea it wasn't but the employees are being lazy-don't want to explain...

shiro

• France La Rochelle
    • View Profile

shiro

• France La Rochelle
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2022, 05:34:48 AM »
It's not at all forbidden. You just need to get a phytosanitary certificate from your country's agriculture department. Call them to see what the requirements for that are. Many private couriers don't like to deal with plants, some outright don't do it. It might be better if you can send it express EMS through regular postal service. You could also send it air freight, which would be a lot faster, but more costly.

Oh yes for information fruitlovers, the plant passport is not enough. It is also necessary to be an approved nursery in your country, to send seeds or scions to the USA.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2022, 08:34:48 AM by shiro »

ben mango

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2022, 07:44:49 AM »
The plants also may be subject to quarantine for a year or 2. This is the case when trying to bring plants back to Hawaii. 

digigarden

• Maurice or digigarden
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2022, 04:11:16 PM »

The plants also may be subject to quarantine for a year or 2. This is the case when trying to bring plants back to Hawaii.

??? that makes it instantly not worth it. whos going to take care of the plant, water, repot it?

CTMIAMI

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2022, 04:02:36 PM »
Yes, there are requirements to keep the plant isolated and the USDA will come to inspect the location and approve it before the permit is issue.  Very complicated.
Carlos
 Tweeter: @carlosdlt280
www.myavocadotrees.com
zone 10a Miami-Dade County

digigarden

• Maurice or digigarden
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2022, 04:08:14 PM »
Yes, there are requirements to keep the plant isolated and the USDA will come to inspect the location and approve it before the permit is issue.  Very complicated.

seems i could introduce a species to a forum member but defo not worth it for profit. maybe better to send sends.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2022, 07:05:10 AM »

Oh yes for information fruitlovers, the plant passport is not enough. It is also necessary to be an approved nursery in your country, to send seeds or scions to the USA.
To obtain a phytosanitary certificate you don't need to be a nursery to either send it or to receive it. To receive seeds in USA  a phyto is not even needed if you obtain a small seed lot permit from USDA. Scions will require a phyto if sent internationally.
Oscar

Bush2Beach

• Santa Cruz, California Sunset Zone 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2022, 10:43:24 AM »
You got it, not for the money but labor of love.

seems i could introduce a species to a forum member but defo not worth it for profit. maybe better to send sends.

Jeramyl SoCal

• USA, CA/So CA, San Diego, 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2022, 10:52:48 AM »
600 trees imported just this week.  Take a peek at this thread.  https://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=46316.0

You could probably ask Bill his thoughts but definitely no 2 year quarantine.  Since this order, I have been thinking of the possibility of another group order here for a different tree that we have difficulty sourcing here.  I have not decided upon one yet.

Bush2Beach

• Santa Cruz, California Sunset Zone 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2022, 11:49:41 AM »
I would venture to guess Bill has not mailed a plant to the USA before.
We have a fair amount of international sellers here that do.
I think the common advice would be to absolutely sent it DHL.
Pack it really well using recommended packing methods and hope for the best, knowing it may not work out.
Before you consider a large international group order for a species you think would be awesome to import for the group, consider all the possibilities and if your okay with that. If it was 100% , it would happen more but it could go poof as well.
600 trees imported just this week.  Take a peek at this thread.  https://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=46316.0

You could probably ask Bill his thoughts but definitely no 2 year quarantine.  Since this order, I have been thinking of the possibility of another group order here for a different tree that we have difficulty sourcing here.  I have not decided upon one yet.

MisterPlantee

• Ontario, Canada
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2022, 12:10:27 PM »
When importing plants internationally, you are at the whim of 3 groups.. The courier company, customs and the agricultural agency.  Either level can confiscate or throw away your plants for different reasons. Customs and the agricultural agency are the worst and a lot of times you are at the whim of whoever is handling your case. They can make it as difficult or as easy as they want, just like when you go through customs at the airports. Always plan for the worse case scenario because the best case rarely happens. Up here in Canada, I tried to import a small shipment of Caviar lime from Thailand a couple years ago. Had a phyto certificate, import license.. all documents ready to go and verified. Then it got held up at a customs terminal across the country. Couldn't contact anyone directly, only voice mails for weeks. Then when I finally was able to get a live person, find out it got refused because of some bogus reason because whoever was doing the clearing didn't know the rules or had a power trip. But of course, doesn't matter the $$ out is on you as the importer no matter whose fault.