Author Topic: Dullish avocado  (Read 686 times)

j_tropical

• USA, FL
    • View Profile
Dullish avocado
« on: March 21, 2022, 03:36:17 PM »
I recently got two avocado trees. Waiting for them to get acclimated before I plant it. But one tree is turning dull. The leaves are somewhat folded, rough and yellow tint. Even the branches turning bit yellow. on the other hand the other tree lively green, flat, leathery, shinny. Though same size but next to each other two look like two different species!

I know turning leaves yellow seasonally is ok for avocado. But when i see them side by side, i can't help but to wonder if something is wrong with it. Please let me know if anyone has any idea. or have seen something similar

on the left green one is Joey and on the right yellow one is Lila

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
Re: Dullish avocado
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2022, 10:09:10 AM »
I also bought 2 avocado trees back in December, Monroe and Day, which are looking and behaving totally different.  Monroe shed all its old leaves and has fresh new leaves.  Day has kept all its old leaves and was pushing blossoms like mad until I removed them all.
John

ScottR

• USA,Arroyo Grande,Calif. 93420,zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2022, 11:58:12 AM »
Could just be varities difference you never said what varieties you picked up? I would quess that the yellowesh one a some mexican varital in it!

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2022, 12:51:51 PM »
Could just be varities difference you never said what varieties you picked up? I would quess that the yellowesh one a some mexican varital in it!
Yes, he said left one is Joey, right one Lila.
John

GFC

• High Springs Florida Zone 8b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2022, 02:48:49 PM »
This is my lila avocado from last year before putting it in the ground. Just posting so you can compare to yours.

j_tropical

• USA, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2022, 11:09:39 AM »
This is my lila avocado from last year before putting it in the ground. Just posting so you can compare to yours.
Thank you so much for the photo. your tree looks nice and healthy! Is this a recent photo?
Based on this photo my Lila definitely has some issue. Specially the folded leaves must indicate something. May be too much/little water or some nutrients deficiency? Wish someone knew the exact symptom!

Yes thats what i was hopping as well. But thanks to GFC's picture, it looks like his Lila has much greener, flat, leathery "avocado looking" leaves. bit more worried now !

GFC

• High Springs Florida Zone 8b
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2022, 05:27:22 PM »
That was a photo from last year. To me your avocado tree looks pretty healthy. Should be ready to put in the ground in a week or so.

BTW- I was given that Lila avocado from a nursery I use. It had sustained severe wind damage and this is what it looked like. I was not sure it would make it. So that first picture was a month and a half after the wind damage.

« Last Edit: March 23, 2022, 05:45:58 PM by GFC »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk