Author Topic: Search for the Best Tasting Mulberry ???  (Read 11468 times)

fliptop

• SWFL10a
    • View Profile
Re: Search for the Best Tasting Mulberry ???
« Reply #100 on: May 26, 2022, 05:20:50 PM »
Thanks, Galatians522, so the fruit is *generally* sweet with no acid balance? Or is it insipid? Do you think the cuttings didn't work because of time of year? Thanks!

Galatians522

• Florida 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: May 26, 2022, 09:53:30 PM »
Thanks, Galatians522, so the fruit is *generally* sweet with no acid balance? Or is it insipid? Do you think the cuttings didn't work because of time of year? Thanks!

The fully ripe wild fruits I used to eat up north were mostly sweet, a little insipid, and not really remarkable. Many of the ones I have eaten in Florida were sour because I ate them under ripe trying to beat the critters. I would imagine that any variety being sold specifically for fruit would be a cut above the wild types. I really enjoyed the fruits off one wild tree I found--I only got one perfectly ripe fruit but I would have said it was as good as the Black Pakistan--just much smaller with a little more acid. However, that may have been a fluke. I need to get out there and harvest some bud wood off the tree so that I can grow it out and verify the quality level. It is possible that the time of year was a factor in the cutting failure, but I am wondering if this type is harder to root.

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: May 26, 2022, 10:37:18 PM »
I did a quick taste test today with a person who hasn't tasted many mulberries. She is/was a nurse for me when I had some IV infusion at home. I let her taste the White Pakistan that was ripe, she liked it since it was very sweet. Then I let her taste the Black Pakistan, she said it was good but like the white pakistan better. The last ripe mulberry I had on the tree was the Sangue e Latte, she said it was the best flavor and she liked it the most. It is not as sweet as the White Pakistan but she said it has a very good taste which is different from the other two. I agree with her, it is different and tastes very good. I rate it right up there with Australian Green as the top 2 best tasting mulberry so far. I have not tasted any morius nigra (Persian, Black Beauty, Noir_De_Spain) since my grafts did not have any fruits this year so my favorite may change.

Jose Spain

• Marbella, Spain. Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: May 27, 2022, 01:35:19 AM »
Looks like I'm going to have to try and track down some Skinner and Himalayan FSP cuttings...

There's a dedicated group of mulberry growers in town that would leap on these like rabid fiends. Since all other mulberries grow here like it's going out of style, they should succeed just fine here without nematode issues.

Doesn't look like Craig sells cuttings or ships grafted trees.

If Skinner is already being propagated among members of TFF, my guess is that Himalayan FSP is also out there already. Aside from these two, Bran and Kaz have mentioned a RH that they grow in SoCal and is outstanding as well, I wonder if is the same than any of the 2 Craig's favorites in Florida or a 3rd top tier cv.

Jose

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: May 27, 2022, 04:53:38 AM »
Jose, the Red Himalayan variety I grow is from Brad who purchased it from Exotica nursery in San Diego. It seems to be a different version than the DMOR09 (Himalayan) mulberry that Marta sells on her website (reallygoodplants). So there may be four versions of a red long fruited mulberry that looks similar to each other. Once we grow all four variety then we should be able to tell if they are the same.

This seems to be a similar mystery as the long white fruited mulberry that has different variety names but seems to be the same mulberry (King Shatoot, White Shatoot, White Pakistan, Australian Green, Saharanpur Local). But I know for this long white fruited mulberry they are pretty much the same thing, I'm growing all of these varieties and I don't see any difference in the tree or fruit and the taste is the same, sweetest fruits, excellent taste.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2022, 05:35:09 AM by sc4001992 »

Jose Spain

• Marbella, Spain. Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: May 27, 2022, 11:44:13 AM »
Thanks once again for the info, Kaz. I'm pretty sure that being that methodical and growing the varieties under the same conditions is a matter of time to clarify if all these cvs are at least close enough that we can't tell one from another without molecular analysis. For us who grow them in the yard is more than enough. Here in Europe mulberries trade is also becoming messy regarding names, there are some varieties circulating like Shelli 150 or Black Pakistan that aren't the real deal, for example.

Jose

snowjunky

• USA, Arizona, Phoenix, 9a/9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: May 27, 2022, 11:05:06 PM »
I did a quick taste test today with a person who hasn't tasted many mulberries. She is/was a nurse for me when I had some IV infusion at home. I let her taste the White Pakistan that was ripe, she liked it since it was very sweet. Then I let her taste the Black Pakistan, she said it was good but like the white pakistan better. The last ripe mulberry I had on the tree was the Sangue e Latte, she said it was the best flavor and she liked it the most. It is not as sweet as the White Pakistan but she said it has a very good taste which is different from the other two. I agree with her, it is different and tastes very good. I rate it right up there with Australian Green as the top 2 best tasting mulberry so far. I have not tasted any morius nigra (Persian, Black Beauty, Noir_De_Spain) since my grafts did not have any fruits this year so my favorite may change.

My Black Beauty finally has a few fruit this year.  It is 10ft tall and wide and been in the ground for 4 years.  I thought maybe it won't fruit in Phoenix for some reason because all my other mulberries fruit in the first or second year.  It is a very slow/weak grower by mulberry standards.  The Black Beauty along with a Noir de Spain were stunted when they were in the part of my yard with poor soil.  I move the BB 4 years ago to better soil, but not the Noir de Spain and it's still only 2ft tall.  I had an Australian Green grow large in that same poor soil.

JCorte

• Laguna Beach and Fallbrook, CA, zone 10b/10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: June 01, 2022, 02:01:05 AM »
Kaz, your sangue e latte is beautiful.  I have white ivory that looks similar but has a little more cream color.  The birds got the last of them before I could take a picture.

Here is a picture with sweet lavender, the two on the left are the lavender at different stages, the black ones on the right are Thai dwarf.

Of the 8 varieties we’ve tried so far, I liked all of them except for dwarf everbearing.  My husband and son liked Thai dwarf best because of the sweet and tart flavor like a really good blackberry.  Thai dwarf also has a firmer texture and the fruit doesn’t fall when ripe.  We have not tried noire de Spain yet.

I wonder if others who find the Thai dwarf bland would get better flavor if they thinned their fruits.  I thin the fruit on most of my trees in general to get better quality.  Kaz’s tree is so productive maybe it’s just too much fruit for the tree to sweeten up. 

Janet

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: October 05, 2022, 10:11:34 PM »
Did anyone sample the dmor09 himalaya yet? 
Brad Spaugh

JCorte

• Laguna Beach and Fallbrook, CA, zone 10b/10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: October 06, 2022, 10:33:10 AM »
I've tried a few of the DMOR9 before they were ripe and turned black last month.  They were surprisingly really sweet at the white, lavender colored stage.  The ants have been getting to all of them before they totally color up.  So far they have been sweeter than the Black Pakistan even underripe.  I didn't taste any berry or acid flavor though. 

Tree has grown huge from a scion I grafted a year and half ago.  Look forward to trying them ripe next spring. 

Janet

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: October 06, 2022, 01:19:06 PM »
Kaz, your sangue e latte is beautiful.  I have white ivory that looks similar but has a little more cream color.  The birds got the last of them before I could take a picture.

Here is a picture with sweet lavender, the two on the left are the lavender at different stages, the black ones on the right are Thai dwarf.

Of the 8 varieties we’ve tried so far, I liked all of them except for dwarf everbearing.  My husband and son liked Thai dwarf best because of the sweet and tart flavor like a really good blackberry.  Thai dwarf also has a firmer texture and the fruit doesn’t fall when ripe.  We have not tried noire de Spain yet.

I wonder if others who find the Thai dwarf bland would get better flavor if they thinned their fruits.  I thin the fruit on most of my trees in general to get better quality.  Kaz’s tree is so productive maybe it’s just too much fruit for the tree to sweeten up. 

Janet

That's interesting, as Dwarf Everbearing tastes very good here. Some of the most delightful berries I've had have been Dwarf Everbearing. They aren't always great, depending on time of the year, ripeness, weather, and pests. But definitely a keeper for me. Wonder if there are different varieties being called the same thing, or if location/enviro differences are that impactful?