Author Topic: My Yard 2022  (Read 6849 times)

K-Rimes

• Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
Re: My Yard 2022
« Reply #25 on: May 26, 2022, 12:30:27 PM »
What are the temp highs and lows there? How bad is wind? Cool collection

We get over 100f very regularly during summer. The highest I've seen was 117f and a huge number of plants were damaged, even really hardy stuff like pineapple guava burnt up. The winter is cold so I am zone pushing a lot with some of this stuff. I just accept some frost bite and call it day, we get down to 25f sometimes, but generally briefly. It does tend to sit at 32-34f for hours at a time, sometimes almost the whole night. The greenhouse is very important for my potted plant collection.

It is extremely well protected from wind and we rarely see more than 30mph.

CherimoyaDude

• San Francisco / Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 26, 2022, 12:46:10 PM »

We get over 100f very regularly during summer. The highest I've seen was 117f and a huge number of plants were damaged, even really hardy stuff like pineapple guava burnt up. The winter is cold so I am zone pushing a lot with some of this stuff. I just accept some frost bite and call it day, we get down to 25f sometimes, but generally briefly. It does tend to sit at 32-34f for hours at a time, sometimes almost the whole night. The greenhouse is very important for my potted plant collection.

Do you protect anything in the winter (frost cloth, Christmas lights, etc)? That's nice about the wind it's a challenge in SB

K-Rimes

• Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 26, 2022, 12:47:45 PM »

Do you protect anything in the winter (frost cloth, Christmas lights, etc)? That's nice about the wind it's a challenge in SB

Yes, I do. I throw a garbage can over smaller trees sometimes, the dragonfruit need protection sometimes (they got hammered this last winter), and I absolutely STUFF the greenhouse. I am trying to whittle down my collection a bit because I want more space in the GH for protection this winter.

If it's big, like my jaboticaba, I just can't cover it anymore. It needs to tough it out.

Plantinyum

• Bulgaria , near Sofia city , planting zone 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 27, 2022, 01:36:50 PM »
Nice garden and plants !!  ;)

Bush2Beach

• Santa Cruz, California Sunset Zone 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 27, 2022, 01:44:58 PM »
Everything is looking really really good. I gotta say , see’ing you go for it and plant out alot of nice tree’s to make a beautiful garden where you are renting is very inspiring in that …. Every thing in life is impermanent, even if you own the farmland , so always just go for it and make a beautiful garden for all to enjoy and be inspired by , everytime, wherever you are.
It’s easy to keep everything thing in pots as a renter , not wanting to put a valuable tree in a permanent location that may not be your permanent location.
The plants want to be planted out after a certain time , so that’s rad your doing the best move for the plants,  and get to watch the process and interplay with nature further unfold.

K-Rimes

• Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 27, 2022, 03:39:31 PM »
Everything is looking really really good. I gotta say , see’ing you go for it and plant out alot of nice tree’s to make a beautiful garden where you are renting is very inspiring in that …. Every thing in life is impermanent, even if you own the farmland , so always just go for it and make a beautiful garden for all to enjoy and be inspired by , everytime, wherever you are.
It’s easy to keep everything thing in pots as a renter , not wanting to put a valuable tree in a permanent location that may not be your permanent location.
The plants want to be planted out after a certain time , so that’s rad your doing the best move for the plants,  and get to watch the process and interplay with nature further unfold.

I had this idea that I would be moving onto my own property at some point, but the real estate market just zipped away from me and I doubt it'll come back to the place I'll be able to afford it so... In realizing this, and seeing how smoking my deal is here, I figured oh well just make the garden that I always dreamed of here and hope. I expect to be here for at least 3-5 more years and this is what is best for all these plants, and in the meantime, I'll really get to enjoy them most this way, in ground.

The older lady who bought the property 50 years ago suggested that she wanted it to go to me... but her daughter is having none of that.

I'm going to just pretend it's mine and keep going. It's more fun that way.

CherimoyaDude

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 04, 2022, 06:01:30 PM »
Have you attempted lychee here?

K-Rimes

• Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 04, 2022, 07:54:42 PM »
Have you attempted lychee here?

Potted only, all died. I put a Brewster in at my gf's parents place in North Goleta and it's growing slowly but surely. I know another collector here low off the 154 who has a nice one producing well. Totally do-able in town. I have alkaline soil so I'm going to try out a few longans this year. Hope they do ok, I hear more cold hardy than lychee and alkaline lovers.

beicadad

• San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 04, 2022, 11:49:26 PM »
Very beautiful and you’ve got great selections. Keep us updated with your successes!

K-Rimes

• Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 06, 2022, 01:50:33 PM »

Here’s a photo of that Brewster. It has been in the ground for two years and is very slow. This is in North Goleta (not my house)

K-Rimes

• Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 10, 2022, 04:50:15 PM »
Decided I should do a full plant list of stuff in the ground, and also added a few Kohala longan yesterday as I hear they're the most aggressive growers for SoCal

Santa Rosa Plum tree on right of garden area by rosemary
Flavor King Pluot tree on left side of garden area by rosemary
Lucuma close to Jean's deck on left
Eugenia Calycina behind Pluot
Cas Guava behind Santa Rosa Plum
Campo Ramon Jaboticaba
Kohala Longan in lower area
Kohala Longan in front of Paw Paws
Vanilla Ice Cream Bean in side garden
Bluberries x2 from Isaac under oaks
Sir Prize Avocado beside Persian Mulberry
Haas Avocado behind paw paw patch by the black pipe
Lamb Hass Avocado in front of paw paw patch
Kari Starfruit under oaks
Caviar Lime in back garden
Friedrichstienum Guava by deck stairs
Mountain Guava by bay tree in side garden
Lemon Guava by back parking
Musso di Vo Fig in lower area
Champagne Fig in lower area
Tiger Stripe Fig on hillside
LSU Purple Fig by back parking
Pakistani Mulberry on Dwarf beside rock feature
King White Mulberry large tree beside garbage can area
Raspberry by flagstone
Unknown Red Pitanga (large) behind Hass
Vermillion Pitanga in front garden
Contorted Mulberry in front garden
Pink Rose Apple in driveway garden
Glenna's Apple grafted with Bill's red flesh, goodland, akero, cinnamon spice
Old San Marcos Loquat in driveway garden
Vanilla Ice Cream Bean (in hairpin)
Kadsura Coccinea (behind Hass)
Grafted Lisa Atemoya under oaks
Unkown grafted atemoya on cherimoya with biriba graft in lower planting area
White Sapote seedling (in cage, lower area)
Pineapple Guava lower area, grafted with precocious, nikita
Pineapple Guava by little house
Golden berry by garden beds
Unknown starfruit seedling by compost
Purple Lilly Pilly by driveway
Purple Lilly Pilly by compost
Mexican Apple by garage door
Black Mission Fig by little house
Black Mission Fig in front of Pakistani Mulberry
Black Mission Fig at back concrete area
Black Mission Fig beside walkway with sage
Grimal Jaboticaba in front garden
Grimal Jaboticaba between Starfruit and Blueberries
Grimal Jaboticaba between Mexican Apple and Lemon Guava
Paw Patch with mango, Wilson grafts (5 trees)
Peruvian Apple cactus by Pakistani mulberry
Peruvian Apple cactus middle of front garden
Santa Rosa Plum in driveway garden with Sweet Treat and Flavor Punch grafts
Purple Malaysian Guava in driveway garden
Sabara Jaboticaba in driveway garden
Nagami Kumquat in driveway garden
Cherry of Rio Grande in driveway garden
Grumichama in corner of driveway garden by white Mulberry
Black Mission Fig on back wall
Dragonfruit on back wall
Papaya nopales cactus on back wall

Johnny Eat Fruit

• So. California, Huntington Beach. Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 10, 2022, 05:49:26 PM »
Interesting about your Brewster Lychee tree growing slowly. Mine also has been in the ground for almost two years and has grown quite well. The same goes for my Mauritius Lychee Tree. (See attached Photo)

I plant my trees in full sun and sandy soil. I also water frequently. Lychee Tree loves lots of water with good drainage.

Johnny

Brewster Lychee Tree (5-9-2022)

K-Rimes

• Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 10, 2022, 06:43:00 PM »
The soil there is clay, and I don’t think it’s watered enough. It’s not my tree / property there, just the “in laws”. Sandy soil is the bomb and that’s what I have at my place - and a well!

CherimoyaDude

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 11, 2022, 08:54:12 PM »
Have you attempted any garcinias? Didn't see any on list, curious if you tried them and they died.

K-Rimes

• Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 11, 2022, 09:26:50 PM »
Have you attempted any garcinias? Didn't see any on list, curious if you tried them and they died.

Tried those. They all met their end. The only one I've been successful with is Imbe. I tried one in the soil but a rat munched the stalk off and it's dead. Have one more in a small pot I'll toss in the garden but I do not hold high hopes. The only successful zone pushing I've done is with very fast growing plants that can come back from mild frost damage and not blink. If it's slow grower, it just dies before it gets established.

CherimoyaDude

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 11, 2022, 09:45:45 PM »
Which garcinias did you try besides imbe?

K-Rimes

• Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 11, 2022, 09:53:44 PM »
Which garcinias did you try besides imbe?

Garcinia brasilensis - superior lemon drop
Garcinia humilis - achacha

Both met their deaths after a year or two in the greenhouse which never dropped below 37f.

Over it. I am trying to stop buying plants that don't fit here. If they can't live outside half decently, I don't want them. The greenhouse now is more for helping plants thrive rather than limping things along that really don't make sense here. I've really changed my ideas about gardening and zone pushing in the last year. I am going to trial mangoes and avocados but I'm not buying anything expensive, just doing seedlings and if something does well, hooray, but no more buying expensive zone pushers for me.

CherimoyaDude

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 23, 2022, 03:40:48 PM »
What sort of soil do you have, and what amendments have you done? I'm suffering with awful clay soil that things grow slowly in, seems common to SB. Wondering what the correct treatment is.

K-Rimes

• Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 12, 2023, 08:55:06 PM »

Jeramyl

• San Diego, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 12, 2023, 09:13:05 PM »
K,

Your yard looks fantastic and likely the envy of many a grower on here. You’ve done a great job. Amazing the variety of trees you have. 

I’ve just restarted at the new house about two years ago and I’m far, far behind you, but look forward to having a nice plant list in the future. In the meantime, I’ll have to live vicariously through growers like you and a few others.

I may have to reach out fora visit if my kid is accepted to UCSB.  Find out in a week or so.  He looks good on paper but it’s amazing how competitive that school has become.  It’s a roll of the dice at this point.

K-Rimes

• Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: March 13, 2023, 11:08:48 AM »

Himalayan / pakistani on dwarf got some mulch

New fig block got over a foot of mulch

white mulberry got about 8" of mulch

fig block

acerola and multi grafted plum

My newest addition to the yard, honey bees, they seem to have survived winter which is a success

Heavily mulched orchard, added a big pitanga, reed avo seedling, some rose apples, a loquat, and some other things I forget this winter

Flavor king on left flower, orange flesh guava burnt by frost, santa rosa plum on right, and guabiju in front of the guava (which did great with snow)

White mulberry with new mulch

Incoming rain storm for tomorrow
« Last Edit: March 13, 2023, 11:24:00 AM by K-Rimes »

K-Rimes

• Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 13, 2023, 11:11:28 AM »
K,

Your yard looks fantastic and likely the envy of many a grower on here. You’ve done a great job. Amazing the variety of trees you have. 

I’ve just restarted at the new house about two years ago and I’m far, far behind you, but look forward to having a nice plant list in the future. In the meantime, I’ll have to live vicariously through growers like you and a few others.

I may have to reach out fora visit if my kid is accepted to UCSB.  Find out in a week or so.  He looks good on paper but it’s amazing how competitive that school has become.  It’s a roll of the dice at this point.

Jeramyl, you're welcome any time just DM me and we will make a time for it. The yard is coming out of the "boring" winter phase now and stuff is flowering and leafing out but not much to eat. It really fires off from May onward with fruit starting to be around in June. Crossing my fingers and toes for your kid, it's a great school at UCSB and really nice town to be in.

ScottR

• USA,Arroyo Grande,Calif. 93420,zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 13, 2023, 07:08:33 PM »
nice Kevin, you're getting plants in the ground lookin good 8)

JCorte

• Laguna Beach and Fallbrook, CA, zone 10b/10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 13, 2023, 07:11:07 PM »
Your property looks great and so well maintained.  Really love all the oaks, they add a majestic quality to the property.

Are you trying new figs in your fig block?  Do you have the fig wasp in your area?  I went a little crazy and collected over 100 varieties to trial.

Your bee hive is awesome, are you maintaining it yourself?  I want bees but don't have the time right now to research and learn how to care for them. 

Wish you an abundant harvest this year!

Janet

K-Rimes

• Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 13, 2023, 07:24:47 PM »
nice Kevin, you're getting plants in the ground lookin good 8)

Been going crazy this year. Hopefully I can get some fruit collector people to visit for a pizza night, I have a monster pizza oven I just finished.

Your property looks great and so well maintained.  Really love all the oaks, they add a majestic quality to the property.

Are you trying new figs in your fig block?  Do you have the fig wasp in your area?  I went a little crazy and collected over 100 varieties to trial.

Your bee hive is awesome, are you maintaining it yourself?  I want bees but don't have the time right now to research and learn how to care for them. 

Wish you an abundant harvest this year!

Janet

Yes, I jumped headlong into bees. It is absolutely mind blowing and so incredibly in depth, it's like a whole other hobby. This is a VERY strong colony I acquired in San Francisco and they survived a tough winter with snow, and 61" of rain (another 10" tomorrow looks like). Getting bees through winter is very challenging due to varroa mites, so I had to learn all about treatment for that. I'll have another 2 hives in April, so, I'll have my hands beezy. They are incredible though, and I can already see their pollination efforts working!

I have a ton of new figs. About 10-15 types down in that newly mulched area. The mulch is seriously 12" deep in spots so it should absolutely transform the sandy soil. We don't have fig wasps, but we do now have BFF so I wanted all the figs localized to the same area for bagging purposes. I've found the organza bags save the fruits, but it will necessitate keeping all of them small, hence the very close to each other look. The list is of new ones:

JH Adriatic
Battalgia
VDB
Golden Celeste
Latterulla
Sals GS
Scotts black
Strawberry unk
Randino
Hollier
Isbat
Ronde de Bordeaux