Author Topic: Ants on lemon flowers  (Read 365 times)

Plantinyum

• Bulgaria , near Sofia city , planting zone 7
    • View Profile
Ants on lemon flowers
« on: June 13, 2022, 02:44:03 AM »
 I planted one of my lemons in my greenhouse two days ago. Today i saw that there are ants on the open flowers, are they a risk for the lemon embrios ,or are they just atracted to the nectar. No aphids on the plant, they were only on the open flowers... i am worried for them to not get mad or smt and start to nibble at the lemon's tiny fruit set.

Pademelon1

• Australia
    • View Profile
Re: Ants on lemon flowers
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2022, 09:26:07 AM »
Ants are not pollinators (Except for a very few rare cases), and actually have compounds that will kill plant pollen. If the fruit are already set, I don't think there should be much issue though on their own (until the aphids come)

Plantinyum

• Bulgaria , near Sofia city , planting zone 7
    • View Profile
Re: Ants on lemon flowers
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2022, 11:49:43 AM »
Ants are not pollinators (Except for a very few rare cases), and actually have compounds that will kill plant pollen. If the fruit are already set, I don't think there should be much issue though on their own (until the aphids come)
Thanks , i really hope they do not try to cultivate aphids. I think there is an established colony somewhere in the gh, i knew this would happen eventually....
The blooming is at its peak  right now, i'll monitor and if they start to damage something i'll have to spray the plant with something against them.. if there is such a thing.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2022, 11:52:32 AM by Plantinyum »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk