Author Topic: Pruning / shaping a gangly White sapote "Subelle" ?  (Read 492 times)

Pouteria_fan

• Redlands, California
    • View Profile
Pruning / shaping a gangly White sapote "Subelle" ?
« on: July 28, 2022, 01:56:52 PM »

I recently picked up this white sapote, grafted Sue Bell variety, for a great price at a SoCal nursery that was closing.

It is around 6 ft tall, thin and gangly, and I'm looking for tips on how to best support it while not weakening it, and encouraging it to get stronger - pruning and / or appropriate staking. Right now it has two poles behind it, with a rope/rubber support near the base, and then one twine around each y limb. If it's not supported, it will bend over and nearly touch the ground.

K-Rimes

• Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
Re: Pruning / shaping a gangly White sapote "Subelle" ?
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2022, 03:27:58 PM »
I'd prune it right back to the lower growth. I was very brutal to my white sapote and it seemed to only make it stronger.

If it really gets bad you can also bark graft it, I had almost 100% success with that.

Oolie

• San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2022, 09:05:50 PM »
That's three years from being a medium tree ready to bear fruit.
I would decide how low you want the initial branch and prune all the growth above it to the nearest branch angling 60-90 degrees. You have to make that call, but as close as it is to the fence, you will have rats invading your tree.

I have made sure to prune off all lower growth on my trees to a height where I can put an apron on to prevent rat ingress up the trunk, but with a fence that close, that wouldn't help.

ScottR

• USA,Arroyo Grande,Calif. 93420,zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2022, 10:47:01 AM »
It's up to you what size tree you want but remember they can get pretty big 40-60' so I like to start branches low to make tree climbable in future. Check back side of leaves show be fuzzy for it to be true Suebelle. 8)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk