Author Topic: Peanut butter fruit flowers not opening.  (Read 536 times)

Midwestfruitjungle

• -10 F won’t stop me 🌱
    • USA, Indiana, 6a
    • View Profile
Peanut butter fruit flowers not opening.
« on: August 17, 2022, 08:10:28 PM »
Hello all. My peanut butter fruit tree has just started flowering for the first time, however the flowers haven’t been opening. Instead they have been remaining closed and then falling off. Does anyone know what May be causing this?

achetadomestica

• FLORIDA 9b
    • View Profile
Re: Peanut butter fruit flowers not opening.
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2022, 08:56:12 PM »
I have two trees and they start pushing flowers in the early Spring. I don't get fruit
set until June when the temps are high and the humidity is high. This year it was August
when the fruit started getting ripe.

brian

• Pennsylvania (zone 6) w/ heated greenhouse
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2022, 09:26:49 PM »
Mine has a really low fruit set ratio.  Only a tiny fraction of flowers set fruit, and often entire flowering periods result in zero fruit, even when outdoors when pollinators available.

CarolinaZone

• USA,NC,7B
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2022, 03:46:29 AM »
Off topic. Has anyone else noticed that their tree is damn near bullet proof. I don't like the fruit so I have neglected the hell out of this tree and it won't die. Low light and no water for a month in a cold basement , no fertilizer for 4 years and soon as I set it outside in the spring it comes back.
On topic. Mine starts flowering in spring and sets fruit super late like late August-September.

CeeJey

• Arizona 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2022, 05:41:55 AM »
I have noticed this with mine as well. The only time that I have seen them prolifically fruiting was at the nursery when they were all grouped up together, which makes me wonder if they're yet another species that has larger yield/ better fruit set if they have a companion cross-pollinator (afaik all the ones at the nursery were seed-propagated).

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk