Author Topic: Some Plants that Took a Dip Below Freezing  (Read 603 times)

elouicious

• Houston, Tx
    • View Profile
Some Plants that Took a Dip Below Freezing
« on: January 08, 2023, 05:34:42 PM »
Hey All-

Another winter and I thought I would write up another report of what seems to have done well with the cold. I brought a few of my favorite selections with me to the Bay Area that I will cover here- Unfortunately Texas got down to 18*F this year (something usually unheard of but for the second time in 3 years) and will do a separate write-up about what seems to have done well there (teaser is Myrcianthes fragrans was untouched)

A major difference in my treatment from last year is I actually stopped watering about a week before the cold snap hit in both places-

I left the thermometer out in CA and recorded a dip to 29*F here this year, it was very short and surrounded by several 40*F days, so take these observations with a grain of salt.

First up, Afromamum angustifolium-

Surprised by this one but it is pretty mature and again was dry

Adansonia gregorii-

Got whacked a bit but looks like it should bounce back-

Diospyros spp. -

Very little known about this species other than that it came from Forest House Cameroon

Saba senegalensis-

A lot of these got sold during the fundraiser for Andreas- happy to see they are a bit cold tolerant, the fruit is supposed to be good and hopefully a few people on here have it

Paullinia pinnata-

I have no idea why this species appears to be cold tolerant- I accidentally left it out during the freeze in Texas and after defoliation it came back

Rheedia aristata-

The cuban mangosteen is proving to be one of the hardiest of the genus, I hope the fruit it good but it is a pretty plant, and could be useful for grafting if nothing else-

Unknown-

This is an unknown species from the fruit and spice park-

Psidium spp.-

This is one of the guava species from member Andres Pires- I think it was amarela or goiba roxa but the label got lost

Myrciaria glazoviana-

Didn't even blink

Eugenia neonitida-

I have a few of these because I really like the fruit, some did worse than others, but it looks like after you expose them once they take the cold better

Multigrafted Plinia-

All the grafts seem to have held

Myrciaria guaquiea-

This thing is beast, another where i hope the fruit is good, ever since putting it on the fertilizer recommendation from achetadomestica it has really taken off
« Last Edit: January 08, 2023, 05:53:11 PM by elouicious »

FloridaManDan

• Fort Lauderdale, Florida, USA
    • View Profile
Re: Some Plants that Took a Dip Below Freezing
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2023, 06:26:52 PM »
They look really good for that temp. I had a fair few unhappy plants during the cold, but it didnt even dip below like ~37F here.

Let me know when that Afromamum angustifolium starts to fruit! Looks cool.

K-Rimes

• Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2023, 07:15:19 PM »
Everything looks pretty similar to my versions of the same things, and temps have been similar. Seen a few 29s and plenty of frosty windshields, pieces of frosted over planks of wood and railway ties. Nice to see a real test like this of everything outdoors, kudos on your confidence! I am doing the same this year with a huge portion of my collection because it outgrew my greenhouse.

As an aside, I planted gabiroba roxa from Andre and am fairly sure it's campomanesia macrobracteolata, unsure if there are orange and purple versions of the same thing.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2023, 12:48:04 PM by K-Rimes »

elouicious

• Houston, Tx
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2023, 08:23:08 PM »
They look really good for that temp. I had a fair few unhappy plants during the cold, but it didnt even dip below like ~37F here.

Let me know when that Afromamum angustifolium starts to fruit! Looks cool.

Will do- pretty sure I sourced this from Bush2Beach

Everything looks pretty similar to my versions of the same things, and temps have been similar. Seen a few 29s and plenty of frosty windshields, pieces of frosted over planks of wood and railway ties. Nice to see a real test like this of everything outdoors, kudos on your confidence! I am doing the same this year with a huge portion of my collection because it outgrew my greenhouse.

As an aside, I planted gabiroba roxa from Andrew and am fairly sure it's campomanesia macrobracteolata, unsure if there are orange and purple versions of the same thing.

Call it confidence, stupidity or laziness haha, I like many before me am moving away from the true zone pushing until I have a permanent greenhouse set up and am more interested in seeing what will make it now-

Texas after the last freeze was a bloodbath, and I wasn't there to protect things this time around

K-Rimes

• Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2023, 12:52:58 PM »
Call it confidence, stupidity or laziness haha, I like many before me am moving away from the true zone pushing until I have a permanent greenhouse set up and am more interested in seeing what will make it now-

Even with a permanent greenhouse, I have put a ton of stuff outdoors to suffer this winter. All my campomanesias are outdoors if larger than 1 gallon, lots of my larger eugenias went out. I too am kind of over the zone pushing. I think it's a newbie thing and you taper off as you lose plants (and money).

elouicious

• Houston, Tx
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2023, 05:05:24 PM »
What stays in the greenhouse?

Garcinia etc?

K-Rimes

• Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2023, 05:40:19 PM »
What stays in the greenhouse?

Garcinia etc?

Seedlings of any type, pineapples (but never again once they're done fruiting, take up WAY too much space), a campomanesia hirsuta (it's rare enough to warrant the spot), weaker eugenias to frost (pitomba, grumichama, repanda, etc), jabos, my big cocktail jabo, and anything that I am prioritizing to fruit sooner or better. I gave up on garcinia a long time ago, I think my water is too alkaline or something. Gave up on mangoes. Gave up on starfruit. Gave up on abiu. Just going deep on eugenias now.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk