Author Topic: What are some tasty rare tropical fruits you’re adding to your collection?  (Read 1019 times)

Filozophr

• Royal Palm Beach
    • View Profile
Let me know

Right now I’m focusing on psidiums
Feel free to pm me if you have any ANNONACEAE for sale‼️

Epicatt2

• Fruit forest in progress . . .
    • Tampa, FL / Zone 9b
    • View Profile
I just added a couple of Kwai Muks [Artocarpus parvus - wrongly called A. hypargyreus] which are in 5 gals. but have taken off briskly right after repotting them, already making new terminal growth and leaves.  They are supposed to be cold tolerant down to 25ºF so we'll see if they are after a warm season of growing this year.

Also added two small Olosapos [Couepia polyandra] out of curiosity.  These will have to be given some protections from the cold I suspect, but they're worth a gamble.

Fingers X-ed!

Paul M.
==

GrowerA

• Zone9
    • View Profile
I already have many, but still adding more of Monstera deliciosa.

Filozophr

• Royal Palm Beach
    • View Profile
I just added a couple of Kwai Muks [Artocarpus parvus - wrongly called A. hypargyreus] which are in 5 gals. but have taken off briskly right after repotting them, already making new terminal growth and leaves.  They are supposed to be cold tolerant down to 25ºF so we'll see if they are after a warm season of growing this year.

Also added two small Olosapos [Couepia polyandra] out of curiosity.  These will have to be given some protections from the cold I suspect, but they're worth a gamble.

Fingers X-ed!

Can Kwai muk bear fruit in pots?
Paul M.
==
Feel free to pm me if you have any ANNONACEAE for sale‼️

elouicious

• Houston, Tx
    • View Profile

Fingers X-ed!

Paul M.
==

I have found the Kwai Muk cliams of cold tolerance to be untrue- I hope you have a different experience-

C. polyandra is delicious and worth the work

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Yeah Olosapos are good. I have a 8 year old tree in ground hopefully it produces fruit soon.
Grow mainly fruits, vegetables, and herbs.

Daintree

• Boise, Idaho - zone 6, with a zone 12 greenhouse...
    • View Profile
I have had a lot of fun with the more unusual solanums - schwartzbeeren blackberry, wonderberry, the tree tomatoes etc. They give fruit in the first season, and since most are herbaceous instead of woody, if you change your mind you can just rip them out.

Carolyn

Tropicaltoba

• Canada, Manitoba, Winnipeg, zone 3
    • View Profile
Carolyn,
Which ones have you found to be the best for eating out of hand?

Also have you tried groundcherries, I haven’t tasted them
Yet. I tried some last summer and they got hammered by spider mites. I tried them again this winter (not planned). They seem to also be aphid magnets, however they are still flowering and fruiting like crazy despite being infested. They were a spontaneous volunteer in one of my banker plant systems so I’m leaving the aphids be.

Daintree

• Boise, Idaho - zone 6, with a zone 12 greenhouse...
    • View Profile
Most of the solanums that I grow are poisonous when green, and not very sweet when eaten raw and ripe. But they make awesome pies, jams, etc.
Wonderberry, a Luther Burbank cultivar I think, is the best raw.
The garden huckleberry is also a very nutritious green. I have some seeds from Cameroon, and some from Burundi, courtesy of the gardeners at the community garden that I run.

You have to be really careful with all these if you have kids. They are closely related to black nightshade and since most of these are poisonous, you have to get your seeds from a reputable source.

Yes, I grow ground cherries. My favorite cultivar is "Aunt Molly". I start them in the greenhouse quite early then put them outside. They are very tasty eaten out of hand, and have a slightly sweet pineapple flavor.

Cheers, Carolyn