Author Topic: Various scions available (surinam cherry, De Seda Lucuma, white Sapote, feijoa  (Read 1042 times)

RevivalR00ts

• US, CA, Corona, 9b
    • View Profile
I have scions available. If interested please send me a PM.

Coolidge Feijoa $1 each
Best and Spicy Surinam Cherry $1 each
Vernon White Sapote $2 each
De Seda Lucuma $3 each (sold out)

$10 min plus 6 for S&H

« Last Edit: March 19, 2023, 11:18:44 AM by RevivalR00ts »

Julies Jungle

• USA, GA
    • View Profile
pm sent

NativeSunNursery

• Miramar, FL
    • View Profile
PM sent. Thanks!

Abirkett2

• USA, FLORIDA, CHRISTMAS, ZONE9B
    • View Profile
New to all of this, so forgive me if completely ignorant, but can the ‘Coolidge’ Feijoa just be grafted on any Feijoa rootstock?

Growing some in Central Florida and read they won’t fruit here, but not sure if that’s just because it is not a self-fertile variety. Would love to graft onto them.

Thanks so much!
Froot Farms is a family owned/operated edible plant nursery, apiary, and composting site in Christmas, FL.

Tropical Sunshine

• Coastal TX, USA zone 9B (down to zone 8A during a freak freeze!)
    • View Profile
Feijoa trees have been known to fruit in Florida. Most have low chill requirements like some Southern high bush blueberry varieties. I’ve heard they prefer a cooler, subtropical climate such as coastal Southern California. My feijoa tree blooms profusely most years, but never make any fruit unfortunately. Which is why I now grow several seedlings from different sources. They are too small right now. But I hope once they start to mature and flower, it may help to increase their chances of fruiting due to cross pollination. Feijoa pollination is still quite confusing to some people (me included). It seems that many are self incompatible, but a few specimens have been known to be self fertile...
Teach a man to fish, and he will be able to catch fish for life.

Teach a man to nurture plants, and he will be able to eat durian, soursop, mangosteen, papaya, rambutan, and guava fruits for life!

K-Rimes

• Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
New to all of this, so forgive me if completely ignorant, but can the ‘Coolidge’ Feijoa just be grafted on any Feijoa rootstock?

Growing some in Central Florida and read they won’t fruit here, but not sure if that’s just because it is not a self-fertile variety. Would love to graft onto them.

Thanks so much!

In 9b you're fine and are getting enough chill hours. It's the 10A+ folk who might have issues chill hour wise.

I did not get fruit on mine till I had several types flowering in close proximity. Definitely a plant I recommend grafting for pollination purposes. Cleft grafts work fine.

RevivalR00ts

• US, CA, Corona, 9b
    • View Profile

Thanks so much!

They should graft to any feijoa

drymifolia

• Seattle 9a/sunset zone 5
    • View Profile
    • the drymifolia collective
Feijoa pollination is still quite confusing to some people (me included). It seems that many are self incompatible, but a few specimens have been known to be self fertile

Another issue is they are not insect-pollinated, and only will successfully wind-pollinate when you have a large bush with lots of open flowers at once.

In their native range, birds (and maybe bats) pollinate when they eat the flower lobes (which are delicious, you should at least be harvesting those if yours flowers). Hand pollinating is recommended for small bushes.

nofspeppers

• New York, 7B
    • View Profile
Is there any info on your best and spicy Surinam cherry? Is it different than a normal Surinam cherry?

Tropical Sunshine

• Coastal TX, USA zone 9B (down to zone 8A during a freak freeze!)
    • View Profile
Another issue is they are not insect-pollinated, and only will successfully wind-pollinate when you have a large bush with lots of open flowers at once.

In their native range, birds (and maybe bats) pollinate when they eat the flower lobes (which are delicious, you should at least be harvesting those if yours flowers). Hand pollinating is recommended for small bushes.

I am right now...I am getting the initial flowers from the feijoa tree. Must have ate like a dozen already. Taste like mildly sweetened rose petals! 😊 So many flower buds waiting to bloom right now. I am guessing there are several hundreds, maybe 500 or so. Compared to last year, it looks to be like another good year for the flowering. Can only imagine how many feijoa fruits I will get if only as little as 10% of those flowers get pollinated...👍
Teach a man to fish, and he will be able to catch fish for life.

Teach a man to nurture plants, and he will be able to eat durian, soursop, mangosteen, papaya, rambutan, and guava fruits for life!

shmojojojo

• Southern California, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Is there any info on your best and spicy Surinam cherry? Is it different than a normal Surinam cherry?

I was curious too. Taken from 9waters description...

SPICY PITANGA is a famous surinam cherry selection by rare tropical fruit enthusiast Miguel in Portugal. Fruit is spicy
but not that resinous aftertaste. Very good addition to any salad! Fruit is very nice looking and quite big. Leaves are wider
compared to many pitangas.

BEST PITANGA is a famous surinam cherry selection by a rare tropical fruit enthusiast Miguel in Portugal.
The first impression about this variety - this is the best pitanga when we tasted it for the first time. Very
pleasant flavor.  Fruit is not the biggest compared to other pitangas.

RevivalR00ts

• US, CA, Corona, 9b
    • View Profile

Yes, they are specific varieties selected by Miguel out of Portugal. He was my source. Surinam cherries vary quite a bit. Shmojojojo posted descriptions he found.