Author Topic: Will my bailey's marvel mango from seed grow up to bear fruit?  (Read 589 times)

hprmom

• Orlando, FL, Zone 9b
    • View Profile
Greetings from a newbie!  Last July I picked up a Bailey's Marvel mango at the Edison & Ford nursery in Ft. Myers, FL.  It was the best mango I had ever tasted.  For fun I sprouted the seed and after struggling for most of the year, it has suddenly taken off!  Pic attached.  I'm thinking of putting it in the ground, but am wondering, what are the chances that it will fruit?  And that the fruit would be any good if it did?  I appreciate any help as I've spent hours trying to research this online to no avail.

It's just over 2 ft. tall now (not including the bucket), if I plant should I wait till it's bigger?  I'm in Orlando, zone 9b. 

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
Re: Will my bailey's marvel mango from seed grow up to bear fruit?
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2023, 06:13:19 PM »
Yes plant in the ground.🙂 It may take 7 or more years to produce fruit but you can learn to graft and graft Bailey's Marvel on to it. Leave one or two branches of your tree ungrafted. One day you may or may not have the best mango ever but in the meantime you can enjoy Bailey's Marvel by grafting.

Tete Nene Julie Juliet Carrie Ice Cream Coconut Cream Little Gem  Dot  Mallika PPK  OS  Pina Colada Cotton Candy Buxton Spice Karen Michelle M-4 Beverly Marc Anthony White Pirie Lychee Cherilata Plantain Barbados Cherry

hprmom

• Orlando, FL, Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2023, 10:40:30 PM »
Huh, I didn't know I could do that!  Just watched a video to get a quick idea.  Where would I get a scion, since I don't have another Bailey's Marvel tree handy?  Both methods I saw (cleft and veneer) chop off the original rootstock tree once the scion takes hold, so how would I leave a couple of branches of my original seedling (right now it's just one stem shooting up, no branches)?  How do I know my seedling would make good rootstock?  So many questions!  Thanks!

Yes plant in the ground.🙂 It may take 7 or more years to produce fruit but you can learn to graft and graft Bailey's Marvel on to it. Leave one or two branches of your tree ungrafted. One day you may or may not have the best mango ever but in the meantime you can enjoy Bailey's Marvel by grafting.

pagnr

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2023, 04:16:40 AM »
Generally there are two types of mango strains as far as seeds are concerned.
One strain produces polyembryonic clonal seed, identical to the fruiting tree. These can be identified by having multiple shoots or seedlings coming out of the one seed.
The other strain of mango produces seed with one zygotic embryo per seed, and one seedling per seed.
If your mango seed has multiple shoots, most will be clones.
If your mango seed has one shoot, it is most likely zygotic, and not 100% true to the parent.
This will vary according to the mango variety.
Recent hybrid zygotic types may produce more variable seedlings than other types.
Overall there is a fair chance your mango seedling will be in the ballpark of the fruit it came out of.

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2023, 05:39:07 AM »
Generally there are two types of mango strains as far as seeds are concerned.
One strain produces polyembryonic clonal seed, identical to the fruiting tree. These can be identified by having multiple shoots or seedlings coming out of the one seed.
The other strain of mango produces seed with one zygotic embryo per seed, and one seedling per seed.
If your mango seed has multiple shoots, most will be clones.
If your mango seed has one shoot, it is most likely zygotic, and not 100% true to the parent.
This will vary according to the mango variety.
Recent hybrid zygotic types may produce more variable seedlings than other types.
Overall there is a fair chance your mango seedling will be in the ballpark of the fruit it came out of.
This where i get mine
https://www.tropicalacresfarms.com/budwood-checklist-request

The seed is monoembryonic.
Bailey's Marvel is an early-to-midseason mango
« Last Edit: May 10, 2023, 05:42:18 AM by bovine421 »
Tete Nene Julie Juliet Carrie Ice Cream Coconut Cream Little Gem  Dot  Mallika PPK  OS  Pina Colada Cotton Candy Buxton Spice Karen Michelle M-4 Beverly Marc Anthony White Pirie Lychee Cherilata Plantain Barbados Cherry

JakeFruit

• Mod Emeritus
  • FL Gulf Coast Fruit Lover Spam Fighter
    • zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2023, 09:23:37 AM »
Welcoming our newest addict to the forum!  ;D
Grafting is not easy in the beginning, do yourself a favor and plant every single mango seed you come across this summer. Read up on the proper soil for mangos, healthy seedlings give you a much better chance at success. Read even more about the proper grafting tools, watch a bunch of videos on the various techniques. Treat grafting like surgery, everything must be clean, you want the sharpest tools and you need to make clean, even cuts. Your first attempts will likely fail, my first season I had a < 10% success rate (ran out of seedlings quick, too). I'm running around 80% now, proper tools and techniques make all the difference.

If you just want one tree, plant that seedling you have in the spot you want the tree to be. Give it a full season of growth in-ground, and graft to it next season. Healthy in-ground trees are the easiest to graft onto, they make the best patients :D
« Last Edit: May 10, 2023, 09:37:24 AM by JakeFruit »

achetadomestica

• FLORIDA 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2023, 09:50:15 AM »
i am in 9b also and have lost some young mangos to the cold the
past 2 seasons. I am very close to 10a and a little warmer than Orlando.
In my area we have had 2 very warm Winters with 2 back to back cold nights
in January. Tho years ago we under 32F for 6 hours and last Winter we had
2 back to back nights of frost.
I would consider up potting your tree a couple times this Summer and plant next Spring.
My larger trees made it through the past two Winters or
Plant the tree in your warmest area of your yard like the South side of the house.
There are ways to protect young mango trees and be prepared.
Then again if you really like Baily's marvel go buy a tree this year and plant in
your ideal place.You will get mangos much quicker. Also you may find a 7 gallon
or 15 gallon tree and pay a little more. The trees are running small in the pots and
are not root bound and will take off once in the ground

Welcome to the forum!

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2023, 10:03:14 AM »
If you like Bailey's Marvel, go to a fruit tree nursery, pick up a tree, and plant it now.  In a couple of years, you'll have your own mangos.  If you want to experiment with and learn grafting, do that on the side.  :)
John

JakeFruit

• Mod Emeritus
  • FL Gulf Coast Fruit Lover Spam Fighter
    • zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2023, 12:47:05 PM »
If you like Bailey's Marvel, go to a fruit tree nursery, pick up a tree, and plant it now.  In a couple of years, you'll have your own mangos.  If you want to experiment with and learn grafting, do that on the side.  :)
Yeah....that probably makes the most sense  ;D

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2023, 06:11:39 PM »
Yeah....that probably makes the most sense  ;D
Easier Said than done she lives in Orlando not West Palm Beach.
Lara farms doesn't carry that variety. Truly tropical Chris has Bailey's Marvel but she does not ship. The Facebook Market people only have what zill high performance plants sells them. Not easy to find a Juliet or Angie up here.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2023, 06:53:56 PM by bovine421 »

achetadomestica

• FLORIDA 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2023, 07:39:24 PM »
road trip