Author Topic: Pineapple growing vertically?  (Read 474 times)

Tjpeterson96

• Zone 9B
    • View Profile
Pineapple growing vertically?
« on: July 19, 2023, 03:24:59 PM »
I’ve been having an ongoing issue with one of my pineapple plants, it keeps only growing vertically, and every time I repot it it just keeps growing upwards. It’s gotten to the point where it’s in my biggest pot and has to be leaned against a fence or it will fall over lmao any ideas what I can do other than digging a giant hole in the ground and tossing it in there? Would cutting the stalk and replanting that to shorten the length be possible without killing it?

Epicatt2

• Fruit forest in progress . . .
    • Tampa, FL / Zone 9b
    • View Profile
Re: Pineapple growing vertically?
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2023, 08:49:17 PM »
Maybe try dropping a small apple into the apex.  That apple will give of ethylene gas which should help it decide to set a fruit.  That's what was done in Hawai'i (and some other places) to encourage fruiting..

OK — HTH

Paul M.
==

FloridaGrower69

• Propagation of Interesting Pineapple
    • East Central Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2023, 10:25:16 PM »
Hi. I’m going to agree with Paul. The plant could to be induced if you want fruit. Apple works most cases- however… If you plan on trying that solution, you might wait until early spring so any inflorescence would have good growing weather to mature the fruit. 

Your pineapple looks like a classic Kona Sugarloaf… and those have a habit of ‘stacking’ which is what you describe. I have one thats 4 years old. It has same issues. I just gave up and put it in the ground to see if a good cold snap might force it naturally.

Keep at it.
Brett
Sebastian Pineapple Ranch

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2023, 09:19:30 AM »
White Jade did the same thing to me, in ground, and got crazy long and tall. Still no fruit. Pretty sure the problem with mine is too much shade/not enough light.

FloridaGrower69

• Propagation of Interesting Pineapple
    • East Central Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2023, 05:08:01 PM »
Gerald - as per the PM, here’s Kauai White. More vertical, no stacking. Center image/largest plant.

Not a slip producer - no offspring. Just likes to look good at this point.

mbmango

• LAX, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2023, 11:51:00 PM »
Those are beautiful specimens! On the opposite end of the spectrum, here is my neglected thicket in a half barrel. This was bought from Wellspring as Kona Sugarloaf.  It does produce white, soft-cored fruit, similar in taste to the Kauai Sugarloafs we've had, but it isn't smooth-leaved.

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2023, 08:31:35 PM »
He describes use of bangsite for flower induction. However, it is carbide and doesnt produce ethylene gas as he says, it produces acetylene which does the same thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QIkV7XRSv1U

Galatians522

• Florida 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2023, 11:49:08 PM »
I remember my dad using carbide crystals to force bloom on pineapples when I was a kid. As I recall, he put 1 crystal in each bud and watered it in. It fizzed a lot. As pineislander mentioned it priduces acetylene--whuch is highly flamable and potentially explosive.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk