Author Topic: Indian mango varieties description  (Read 5099 times)

pajoojo

• Greece, Attiki
    • View Profile
Indian mango varieties description
« on: May 17, 2013, 07:35:57 AM »
The most tasty mangoes are described here!

http://www.fruitipedia.com/Mango.htm
Passion for spices, incense, mangoes and rare wood tropical

MangoFang

• Palm Springs, CA, Zone 9B
  • Palm Springs, CA
    • Riverside, Palm Springs/CA, 92264,9b
    • View Profile
Re: Indian mango varieties description
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2013, 04:55:00 PM »
Thanks, Poojoojo....interestingly, the Mallika, which is described as a newer hybrid,
is not grown yet in any of the 12 principal growing regions of India as yet.

Wonder when that will make inroads there....

Am I to assume you are Indian?  Or perhaps have a some strong interest in Indian
mango culture?

MFang

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2013, 11:41:02 PM »
Thanks, Poojoojo....interestingly, the Mallika, which is described as a newer hybrid,
is not grown yet in any of the 12 principal growing regions of India as yet.

Wonder when that will make inroads there....

Am I to assume you are Indian?  Or perhaps have a some strong interest in Indian
mango culture?

MFang
Where did you get this info from?  While I have no idea of when the info in that like was written (I know I have seen this for years) however the following excerpt from that link seems to somewhat contradict what you said, "As a result of systematic hybridization, several hybrids have been released.  However, only a few have become commercially acceptable.  Their parentage and important characteristics are given in Table 3.  Of these, Mallika, Ratna and Arka Puneet are becoming quite popular."
- Rob

Tropicdude

• Broward County, Florida, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2013, 02:50:21 AM »
I have high expectations with my little Kesar. this tree is the healthiest member in my collection, pushing out new leaves right now.  my other trees in my yard have different levels of powdery mildew (or have had it at one time ).  not the Kesar.   great potential for being a commercial variety here, in regions other than mango the traditional mango areas.
William
" The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago.....The second best time, is now ! "

pajoojo

• Greece, Attiki
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2013, 02:56:17 AM »
Haha, No MangoFang, it is no use to be Indian to appreciate their mango, as well I could be also Pakistanese. I tried lot of different varieties, but for my taste (totally personal) my prefered varieties are from Pakistan and India (especially north).

Do you grow in your zone Langra, Chaunsa, Ratool, Sindhri or it too wet climate for these varieties?

MangoFang

• Palm Springs, CA, Zone 9B
  • Palm Springs, CA
    • Riverside, Palm Springs/CA, 92264,9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2013, 02:03:38 AM »
oh...Rob....well I just assumed this was some kind of newer, up-to-date article.
 I believe you if you say it's been around for years, since you are one in the know.

Pajoojo - do you know the date of this article?

fang

Roy-Ind

• India,Andhra Pradesh,Vijayawada
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2013, 02:42:36 AM »
No literature can describe true taste of mangoes available in anywhere in the world
India has more than 1000 varieties (May be more),some are mentioned in books and some are not.
Every state(28states) has its own varieties.
There are two distinct groups:North Indian and South Indian
North Indian varieties are alternate bearers and the other one are regular bearers.
I have tasted many Mango varieties.
The taste varies from one individual to another individual.
I find these seven more tasty(They are all time famous):Alphanso from Maharasthra,Kesar from Gujrat,Himsagar from Bihar,Chausa,Dusheri and Langra from North India and Banginnapalli from Andhra Pradesh.
It is not possible to taste all Mango varieties.
Roy

anaxel

• france zone 9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2013, 04:08:29 AM »
I bought Chinese supermarket Tuesday in my (friend), Alphonso mangoes from Qatar , which was not of high quality: the taste was too strong (of soap), slightly sweet, I did not like it.
the only Indian mangoes that I really loved are chaunas mangoes and Sindri.
Here are some picture of Alphonso mangoes:

StPeteMango

• Florida/St. Petersburg/10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2013, 11:07:17 PM »
Mallika was never the big name in India the way it is in U.S. mango-growing communities, at least till 1986, when I left India. But many of the varieties that grew well there will not do as well in Florida, where I now live, because of the more humid climate here. The Thai or West Indian varieties, or hybrids, are more likely to do better.
Summer in India was a time for eating several mangoes a day. A couple of  dozen or so would be put into a bucket of cold water both to remove the sap from the stem as well as to chill it somewhat, and the mangos were snacks between meals, dessert -- or even part of the main course! The pulp from "pedda rasaal," or large juice mango, would be mixed with milk/cream and most we would dip bread/paratha into it and eat that. The "chotta rasaal," or little juice mango, was the one whose pulp you had directly from the mango. Then, of course, there were all the eating varieties.

BTW, Roy, you're making a former Hyderabadi's mouth water! It has been a very long time since I was in India during mango season. I have planted Mallika, Pickering, Neelam, Cogshall, Graham and Nam Doc Mai, but have to wait a couple years before I collect my reward.

msk0072

• Greece, Crete, Hania, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Mike

pajoojo

• Greece, Attiki
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2013, 07:27:10 PM »
Anaxel,

The Chaunsa and Sindri mangoes you already tasted are not imported from India, but from Pakistan. I agree with you, they are the best ones (with ratool and Langra). I like also Alphonso, it is a tasty variety. You did a mistake, the Alphonso manoges are not comming from Qatar, but from India, but they traveled with Qatar airways.

Here in Athens, the Pakistanese and Indian shops will start to import the mangoes in 1-2 weeks.

Personnally all south-east asian mangoes have a too strong taste of terebenthin, I don't like them.

pajoojo

• Greece, Attiki
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2013, 07:10:25 PM »
One friend from Pakistan sent me Langra, Chaunsa, Ratool, Sindhri and Dusheri 50 scions. I am impatient to receive tem as I am waiting for these varieties since long time.

Does someone already grows these varieties here?
« Last Edit: May 31, 2013, 02:59:52 AM by pajoojo »

behlgarden

• CA, Zone 10 B
    • View Profile
    • LED Bulbs for Landscape Lighting
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2014, 01:51:11 PM »
One friend from Pakistan sent me Langra, Chaunsa, Ratool, Sindhri and Dusheri 50 scions. I am impatient to receive tem as I am waiting for these varieties since long time.

Does someone already grows these varieties here?

Wondering if you got the scions and if any of these were successful? specially looking for Chaunsa

msk0072

• Greece, Crete, Hania, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2014, 01:58:52 PM »
Yes, let us know how was the grafting process and the success rate
Mike

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk