Author Topic: Atten CRFGer's New cold tolerant Mango's  (Read 28727 times)

MangoFang

• Palm Springs, CA, Zone 9B
  • Palm Springs, CA
    • Riverside, Palm Springs/CA, 92264,9b
    • View Profile
Re: Atten CRFGer's New cold tolerant Mango's
« Reply #25 on: August 09, 2013, 06:17:09 PM »
I don't know, JF - they look scrumptious to me!!!!!!

:o

Tim

• Global Moderator
    • USA, Escondido, CA 92027, zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 09, 2013, 06:37:37 PM »
Those thing better taste good!!! Tomas will hate me if otherwise  ::)   kidding, Tomas

This years Timotayo. It will be tested against an Edward,Haden, Glenn and LZ in the next week or so

Tim

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 09, 2013, 08:42:21 PM »
Those thing better taste good!!! Tomas will hate me if otherwise  ::)   kidding, Tomas

This years Timotayo. It will be tested against an Edward,Haden, Glenn and LZ in the next week or so

Here is my dry run mango taste test...mangoproff Timotayos has some stiff competition.

ScottR

• USA,Arroyo Grande,Calif. 93420,zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 09, 2013, 10:49:58 PM »
Lucky tasters, will be interesting to see results!

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 09, 2013, 11:46:06 PM »
Lucky tasters, will be interesting to see results!

I hope to have 15- 20 varieties in the September tasting plus whatever the San Diego folks bring. I'll post the results.

LEOOEL

• USA, South Florida, Miami, Temperature Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 10, 2013, 12:47:05 AM »
This new (?) category of cold tolerant mangoes is very promising and worthy to keep an eye on. I'm a recent convert to the belief that it's possible to develop mangoes (from seed or otherwise) that will produce good to eat, mature/ripe fruits in the winter months.
'Virtue' should be taught, learned and propagated, in order to save others and oneself.

mangoprofessor

• USA, California, Camarillo
    • View Profile
    • Southern California Plant Breeders
« Reply #31 on: August 15, 2013, 10:15:41 PM »
Hello All,

There is one point that I would like to clear up regarding the Timotayo mango.  About 5 years ago, I provided some Timotayo budwood to the original owner of Laverne Nursery.  It was to be used only for grafting field trial mango trees.  I had selected ranchers who would grow the mango trees and evaluate them for me.   During the sale of the Nursery to new owners, the young Timotayo plants were accidentally released to the public. Since that eliminated my ability to patent the variety and trademark the name, I stopped all work with that variety.  My Timotayo mango fruit had scored well in several blind taste tests early on, but I have no idea what kind of mango trees are being grown or marketed by anyone using that name since I only can speak regarding the original tree.

Many of the people who visited our website have expressed interest in participating in the mango taste tests that we conduct each fall as part of evaluating our new mango varieties.  We knew there would be strong demand for these new cold hardy mango trees, so we cut a great deal of budwood from the mango trees that we are patenting to provide the nursery the material needed for grafting.  We had to decide whether to sacrifice most of our mango crop, or not have enough budwood to deliver trees next year.  The bottom line is our mango crop this year will be too small to put on a decent mango sampling event for the huge number of people we know would like to attend.

Tim Thompson

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 15, 2013, 11:38:52 PM »
Tim and I have spoken and he has explain to me the sequence of events and we believe that the mango tree shown above, in North Tustin CA,  is in fact an original Timotayo. Furthermore, I will be sharing pics with him of a ripen fruit so he can positively identify it,  stay tune.

PltdWorld

• San Diego, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 16, 2013, 12:29:02 AM »
Tim, congratulations on developing some new cultivars for the region... can't wait to try them!  My brother is in Camarillo and dad is in Ventura - he passed the story that ran in the Star to me.  It looks like you have put a tremendous amount of work into developing these varieties and I hope that you are rewarded this time around with better protection from the nursery end of the deal.  Anyway, there are two houses I know of (listed above) that will want your trees in their yards.

mangoprofessor

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 17, 2013, 03:19:52 PM »
Hello JF,  If you have a real Timotayo mango, I think you will have a pleasant surprise.  Make sure you pick your fruit when they are mature but not overripe and they are very good.

Hello PltdWorld,  Ventura County is a nice place to live and good for the new mangoes too.  They make a pretty landscape tree and they have the added bonus of those luscious fruit.   Have you dad and bro get a hold of me and we will see what we can do about making them mango growers.  Tim T.

PltdWorld

• San Diego, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 17, 2013, 05:33:54 PM »
Hello JF,  If you have a real Timotayo mango, I think you will have a pleasant surprise.  Make sure you pick your fruit when they are mature but not overripe and they are very good.

Hello PltdWorld,  Ventura County is a nice place to live and good for the new mangoes too.  They make a pretty landscape tree and they have the added bonus of those luscious fruit.   Have you dad and bro get a hold of me and we will see what we can do about making them mango growers.  Tim T.

I plan to grow them in San Diego as well... sent you a PM.

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 17, 2013, 08:00:26 PM »

Hi Tim

One of my timotayo ripen last night and it was very good. The flesh was firm juicy and very sweet with a nice mild taste. The trick here in north orange county is to pick them when they break color like the ones shown above.

The tree is very productive and they seem to be a consistent heavy bearer.... you have to thin them to improve the size and taste. I will be working with my friend who has the tree next year.

mangoprofessor

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 18, 2013, 03:58:37 PM »
Hello JF,  I am glad that the Timotayo you got was the real thing!  I rated it is a good mango and like the others that I have bred, it had to pass the taste test to qualify for me work on patenting it.  I am only disappointed that I lost control of it before I could bring it into production for others to enjoy too. 

anaxel

• france zone 9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 18, 2013, 05:33:09 PM »
Hello JF,

My collection is pretty big and it is mostly international.  I have been working with mangoes for almost 40 years now.  I am a low profile mango plant breeder.  I have ten new mango varieties in the patent process right now as cold hardy for California.  That one big mango tree is a beauty, and it sounds like you have a pretty impressive collection yourself.  How long have you been growing mangoes?

Hello to all,
Hi Tim,
I would like to know what are the  lower temperatures than you have in your country ventura in winter? and how many negative degree your mangoes trees than you have created resists to cold?

anaxel.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2013, 06:00:27 PM by anaxel »

mangoprofessor

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 18, 2013, 10:48:05 PM »
JF - I had an afterthought regarding your nice Timotayo tree full of beautiful mango fruit.  When I have a lot of mangoes on my trees, I sometimes get bored just eating them plain so I decided to include a recipe section on my website with a large variety of different ways to include mangoes in various dishes.  I think you might find something you could use to utilize some of your mangoes.  Try my favorite:  mango coconut meringue pie. 

Anaxel - You asked what the low temperature limits of our new cold hardy mangoes is.  Our location is in city of Camarillo in Southern California.  We use two recording thermometers to monitor the temperatures where we grow the mangoes, unprotected, outdoors.  During the last 25 years we recorded three occasions where the temperature hit the mid 20 degree Fahrenheit range.  All of our new mango varieties survived while two large manilla mango trees died.  Most of our new varieties suffered some frost damage but recovered.  We had one variety that had no apparent damage and in Spring bloomed normally.  It also produced a nice crop of mangoes.  For that variety, we don't actually know what the lower temperature limit really is. 
« Last Edit: September 02, 2013, 11:21:46 AM by murahilin »

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 18, 2013, 11:05:16 PM »
JF - I had an afterthought regarding your nice Timotayo tree full of beautiful mango fruit.  When I have a lot of mangoes on my trees, I sometimes get bored just eating them plain so I decided to include a recipe section on my website with a large variety of different ways to include mangoes in various dishes.  I think you might find something you could use to utilize some of your mangoes.  Try my favorite:  mango coconut meringue pie.  The link is: http://www.socalplantbreeders.com/#!recipes/crd8

Anaxel - You asked what the low temperature limits of our new cold hardy mangoes is.  Our location is in city of Camarillo in Southern California.  We use two recording thermometers to monitor the temperatures where we grow the mangoes, unprotected, outdoors.  During the last 25 years we recorded three occasions where the temperature hit the mid 20 degree Fahrenheit range.  All of our new mango varieties survived while two large manilla mango trees died.  Most of our new varieties suffered some frost damage but recovered.  We had one variety that had no apparent damage and in Spring bloomed normally.  It also produced a nice crop of mangoes.  For that variety, we don't actually know what the lower temperature limit really is.

Tim, thanks for the recipes. I have a few years before I have the luxury of making preserved mango or mango wine....but I sure like those dried mangos with chili powder from Trader Joe !

Anaxel, lives in France she needs to move to South to grow mangos or in a greenhouse.

anaxel

• france zone 9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 19, 2013, 04:45:19 AM »
Hi all,

Dear JF,
I'm not a woman but a man aged 45 years, yes I live in France in zone 9a and also a house in the south of portugal of my parents (zone10a, setubal) place of my origins.

thank you.

HI TIM
thank you for answering me ,for your sharing ,of your experience ,your knowledge and your kindeness (it is good to read.).

Friendship.

anaxel
« Last Edit: August 19, 2013, 05:02:00 AM by anaxel »

Luisport

• New in tropical fruit growing!
    • Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 19, 2013, 05:41:04 AM »
Hi all,

Dear JF,
I'm not a woman but a man aged 45 years, yes I live in France in zone 9a and also a house in the south of portugal of my parents (zone10a, setubal) place of my origins.

thank you.

HI TIM
thank you for answering me ,for your sharing ,of your experience ,your knowledge and your kindeness (it is good to read.).

Friendship.

anaxel
Hi Anaxel from Setúbal, how are you? We nead this cold hardy mangos here don't we?  ;D

anaxel

• france zone 9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 19, 2013, 10:19:14 AM »
Hi all,
olà luisport,
pleasure to know you luisport.
you're right, I agree with you, we need mango tree of california highly resistant to cold (20F =-6.6c), it is very difficult to reaching in this part of southern Portugal, the lowest is 40F (maximum at night).
there are some mango trees endure it and the drought in the region, they can be put in the ground, as gommera 13-1 mango tree of spain, it resists very low temperatures with periods of drought.

anaxel.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2013, 10:20:58 AM by anaxel »

Luisport

• Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 19, 2013, 10:26:14 AM »
Hi all,
olà luisport,
pleasure to know you luisport.
you're right, I agree with you, we need mango tree of california highly resistant to cold (20F =-6.6c), it is very difficult to reaching in this part of southern Portugal, the lowest is 40F (maximum at night).
there are some mango trees endure it and the drought in the region, they can be put in the ground, as gommera 13-1 mango tree of spain, it resists very low temperatures with periods of drought.

anaxel.
I'm trying kent and osteen... but this will be the first winter on grownd, so i don't know how it will stand!

anaxel

• france zone 9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: August 19, 2013, 11:55:47 AM »
luisport

what are really the temperatures in your region in the winter at night?
I Know those of setubal, but not yours(fatima).

look,this is my glenn mango tree in the pot,he has survives to -4C°/-5C° at night during the winter 2012/2013 in my  greenhouse unheated,cloth-wrapped in glass fiber(where I live in France of course).

this is my small glenn mango tree grafted with gommera mango tree rootstock.

anaxel.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2013, 12:04:26 PM by anaxel »

Luisport

• Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 19, 2013, 12:05:06 PM »
Really? Our worst winter in 6 years we get -4C, but last winter we never get -1C... 0C at most!

mangoprofessor

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 19, 2013, 12:14:27 PM »
Hello Anaxel,  we have friends in Spain who we will be sending some of our surplus So Cal frost resistant mango budwood to for field trial testing next Summer.  We can stay in touch and maybe we can help you get one of our new mango varieties to try out.  We  want to find out just how much cold they can take.  The coldest it has gotten her is 26 degrees F.   I read that the Mediterranean mango crop is down by 30 to 40 percent below normal because of the cool Spring weather.  Our new mango varieties were bred to live and grow in cool Spring weather because what Southern California has.  Maybe our new mangoes can help out the Mediterranean growers even out their mango crops.  You can visit our website to see some of the new varieties at SoCalplantbreeders.com.  Have a great day.
Tim Thompson

Luisport

• Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 19, 2013, 12:18:04 PM »
Hello Anaxel,  we have friends in Spain who we will be sending some of our surplus So Cal frost resistant mango budwood to for field trial testing next Summer.  We can stay in touch and maybe we can help you get one of our new mango varieties to try out.  We  want to find out just how much cold they can take.  The coldest it has gotten her is 26 degrees F.   I read that the Mediterranean mango crop is down by 30 to 40 percent below normal because of the cool Spring weather.  Our new mango varieties were bred to live and grow in cool Spring weather because what Southern California has.  Maybe our new mangoes can help out the Mediterranean growers even out their mango crops.  You can visit our website to see some of the new varieties at SoCalplantbreeders.com.  Have a great day.
Tim Thompson
Please can you arrange me some hardy var to try here in Fátima?

mangoprofessor

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 19, 2013, 01:02:38 PM »
Hello Luisport   It sounds like your are right next door to our Spanish friends. We will see it we can suggest to them to make you one of our field test locations.

To our other Tropical fruit loving friends.  We are looking for some field trial sites in the Southern Hemisphere.  We would like to make some new friends with people to work with on our cold hardy mangoes in Australia, Peru, Chile, Argentina and maybe a few other countries.  The only limitation we are placing on a site is they need to be in a Country that respects patent rights.  Any suggestions from our friends will be greatly appreciated.