Author Topic: South Florida Scion Trading Group  (Read 9094 times)

Mr. Clean

• FLMangos.com
    • US, FL, West Palm Beach, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
    • Florida's Finest Mangos
South Florida Scion Trading Group
« on: March 24, 2012, 03:53:58 PM »
Is there any interest in forming a group to trade grafting scions?  I see a lot of members complaining that 1)  they spend too much on their "fruit tree" hobby and 2) they have run out of room for new trees, but want more trees.  Trading scions for grafting would solve both problems by grafting to existing trees.  I notice a lot of members are located in south Florida, so south Florida seems like an appropriate place.  If there is an interest, how would you go about creating a "fair" trading system that would make everyone happy?
« Last Edit: March 24, 2012, 10:52:27 PM by lawace »
www.FLMangos.com

110+ fruit trees/plants; 60+ mango trees; 9 jackfruit; 6 avocado; 3 persimmon; longan; and a dog that keeps raccoons and squirrels away.

murahilin

• Administrator
    • USA Greenacres, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Re: South Florida Scion Trading Group
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2012, 07:47:38 AM »
Sounds impractical.

Fruitguy

• Zone 10b - Miami, FL
    • United States, Miami,Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2012, 11:03:20 PM »
I think it is a good idea and I would participate.  You should probably check with the guys from California who seem to do these scion exchanges on a more frequent basis to get some more specifics as to how to make it work.  I've always admired them for that!  :)

Mr. Clean

• FLMangos.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2012, 12:28:50 AM »
I think it is a good idea and I would participate.  You should probably check with the guys from California who seem to do these scion exchanges on a more frequent basis to get some more specifics as to how to make it work.  I've always admired them for that!  :)

Awesome!  I figure we could prune our trees about the same time of year and share our clippings. 
www.FLMangos.com

110+ fruit trees/plants; 60+ mango trees; 9 jackfruit; 6 avocado; 3 persimmon; longan; and a dog that keeps raccoons and squirrels away.

murahilin

• Administrator
    • USA Greenacres, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2012, 09:29:41 AM »

Why are you encouraging this? It hardly makes any sense. Why not just trade when available??

A trading group that meets up at specific times would require everyone's trees to be lined up perfectly. As I said before, very impractical.

The "trade" section of this forum allows for anyone to easily list what they are looking for or have available.

Fruitguy

• Zone 10b - Miami, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2012, 04:26:11 PM »
Why are you encouraging this? It hardly makes any sense. Why not just trade when available??

A trading group that meets up at specific times would require everyone's trees to be lined up perfectly. As I said before, very impractical.

The "trade" section of this forum allows for anyone to easily list what they are looking for or have available.

It's something you young'uns wouldn't understand.  It's called communicating face-to-face!  ;)  It would a nice thing, imho, to allow like-minded people gather on a rotating basis at different people's houses and allow the host to put his/her collection on display, maybe three of 4 times per year. 

No need to worry about the trees lining up perfectly on their own.  Just make some cuts a week or two in advance and the buds will be pushing by the time of the exchange.  You could also do cuttings, or even exchange plants then.  :)

Fruitguy

• Zone 10b - Miami, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2012, 04:28:25 PM »
If the exchanges are done in the evenings, then full moonlight would be ideal.

ericalynne

• United States of America, Florida, Venus, 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2012, 07:17:27 PM »
I think someone was telling me about a similar annual meeting in Puerto Rico...or maybe it was in California. Everyone brought whatever they had to share for give-away or trades.

I have learned more from face-to-face meetings than any other manner. With gas what it is now, not sure I could participate, but would certainly love to!

Erica

Fruitguy

• Zone 10b - Miami, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2012, 10:54:51 PM »
I think the PR meetings are called (and held on the) Equinox(es).  Erica, if this does ever happen, you would be a most welcome attendee.  I too wish you didn't live so far to the north.  Maybe we "Southerners" will have to make a road trip!  I agree that much more is learned in person.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2012, 11:07:51 PM »
That was the brain child of Felipe in PR to meet for every solstice and equinox. They shift the meeting around to different places, people's homes and parks, so different people can attend. I also think face to face meetings are important. There's certain things that just don't come across from that computer monitor! So whether it's a scion exchange, festival, plant exchanve, or just a party, it's great to do it.
Oscar
Oscar

cuban007

• AZUCAR!!!
  • Cuida la naturaleza y la naturaleza te cuidara'
    • SoCal, The IE, Zone 9b/SoFla, The Redlands, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2012, 02:45:38 AM »
Totally agree with you Oscar. You're right on.

Mr. Clean

• FLMangos.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2012, 12:28:03 PM »
I will be cutting the tops off of several trees on Sunday (April 1) to encourage lateral growth.  If anyone is interested in the bud wood (and are local).  I am near Loxahatchee (Royal Palm Beach), Florida. 

I will be cutting the tops off of:

Mango - Carrie
Avocado - Simmonds
Avocado - Choquette
Carambola (Starfruit) - Kary - the branches that I will be cutting are very thin on this tree, so I'm not sure they would be good for grafting.

I will also have Papaya seeds - Carribean Red (purchased fruit at Costco).

There would be only one bud per tree due to the nature of the trimmings.  If you are interested, please send me a PM with your phone number. 

My wishlist includes:
2 healthy mango seedlings (that I can graft onto)
Mango budwood - Nam Doc Mai
Avocado budwood - Miguel
Canistel  - Trompo

Any one of the above would be fine.  If you don't have any of the above, that's fine too.  It's an opportunity to meet like minded people.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2012, 05:48:09 PM by lawace »
www.FLMangos.com

mangomandan

• When a man is tired of mangos, he is tired of life
    • USA, Lake Worth, Florida, 33461, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2012, 08:42:19 PM »
I don't do any grafting myself, but any of my mature trees are fair game for cuttings / grafting stock.

They are listed on my profile.    The Joellen  (not Jean Ellen) may disappear in May, for topworking. 
The Jacueline is also relatively rare.  http://www.fshs.org/Proceedings/Password%20Protected/1954%20Vol.%2067/284-290%20(LEDIN).pdf

Message me if you'd like to stop by for any scion material.

anaxel

• france zone 9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2012, 03:46:36 PM »
 hello, :D
I read on the forum and I find A Good subject, a lot of objective response question, thank you guys.
I start the mango tree in a pot and it is true, You have Variety of fine quality.
There I look Variety of mango, that 'I can not find a country, like Pickering, mallika, dot, ice cream, carrie ....
    There Someone Who Could Have Me budwood ,help me?
I pay the costs. :-[

Mr. Clean

• FLMangos.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2012, 11:29:30 PM »
hello, :D
I read on the forum and I find A Good subject, a lot of objective response question, thank you guys.
I start the mango tree in a pot and it is true, You have Variety of fine quality.
There I look Variety of mango, that 'I can not find a country, like Pickering, mallika, dot, ice cream, carrie ....
    There Someone Who Could Have Me budwood ,help me?
I pay the costs. :-[

Where are you located?
www.FLMangos.com

anaxel

• france zone 9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2012, 03:22:35 AM »
 hello  :D,
I live in France and I know that for scions, it was not necesary to certificate.
thanks you.

ericalynne

• United States of America, Florida, Venus, 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2012, 07:54:25 PM »
Salut Anaxel,

J'ai deux variétés de mangue qui auront besoin d'élagage : Angie et Jean Ellen. Tout le monde dit que Jean Ellen  n'est pas très bon, mais Angie est delicieuse. (mango may be male, but Angie is female  :))

That's about the extent of my college French, which was a LONG time ago.

I am willing to send you some budwood, but I need direction from the experts here about how to prepare and ship.

Erica

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2012, 08:15:49 PM »
Salut Anaxel,

J'ai deux variétés de mangue qui auront besoin d'élagage : Angie et Jean Ellen. Tout le monde dit que Jean Ellen  n'est pas très bon, mais Angie est delicieuse. (mango may be male, but Angie is female  :))

I am willing to send you some budwood, but I need direction from the experts here about how to prepare and ship.

Erica

You can send each piece wrapped in parafilm. The other way is to put all the pieces inside a zip lock bag with some moistened medium, like sp. moss or vermiculite and wrap tightly. Then send in padded envelope or small box.
Oscar

behlgarden

• CA, Zone 10 B
    • View Profile
    • LED Bulbs for Landscape Lighting
« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2012, 01:15:44 AM »
I am in California and if anyone of you from Florida could spare a scion wood of Maha Chanok for me, I would really appreciate it. I wish I could participate in this trading group. I got Moringa seeds that I can trade if anyone wants it. Its a dwarf Moringa.

anaxel

• france zone 9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2012, 11:20:35 AM »
Salut Anaxel,

Erica
hello guys, :D

you have a French well-written,  you must speak french?.
thank you for the offer you made ​​me.
my request is based on the mango (1: pickering, 2: mallika, 3: carrie, 4: bailey's marvel, 5: nam doc May, 6: gold nugget, 7: dot, 8: coconut cream, 9: lemon zest ).
they are the best variety I've read in the forum and that fits well in pot culture, I think?

thank you all.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2012, 03:57:32 PM by anaxel »

anaxel

• france zone 9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2012, 04:40:29 AM »
hello!
« Last Edit: April 14, 2012, 06:45:28 PM by anaxel »

anaxel

• france zone 9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2012, 10:53:34 AM »
hi,: D
what is the season for the tip?
Before or After flowering flowering?
Leila Told Me That It Was in September,no?
« Last Edit: April 14, 2012, 06:50:14 PM by anaxel »