Author Topic: Mangoes getting blown off trees in Broward County today and yesterday  (Read 8892 times)

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
Maybe Dade and Palm Beach counties too in SE Florida. I've lost mangoes from upper branches. My guess is half would have dropped off anyways but half are just gone due to the spring winds. The mango tree spent resources on them that could have gone to better things like leaf and branch growth. ...... this hurts if the tree is small and young

puglvr1

• USA, Central, FL xxxxx, Zone 9b
    • View Profile
Re: Mangoes getting blown off trees in Broward County today and yesterday
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2012, 03:54:38 PM »
Very Windy over here too and I just noticed a bunch of my baby mangoes laying on the ground from all this wind  >:(

Its awful to see all those tiny mangoes on the ground, especially knowing I will lose SO many more before they ripen. But, this wind is NOT helping!! Sucks big time...

SWRancher

• Merritt Island, FL Zone 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2012, 04:19:11 PM »
On a positive note the wind is coming with rain and we really needed the rain.

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2012, 04:27:13 PM »
Maybe Dade and Palm Beach counties too in SE Florida. I've lost mangoes from upper branches. My guess is half would have dropped off anyways but half are just gone due to the spring winds. The mango tree spent resources on them that could have gone to better things like leaf and branch growth. ...... this hurts if the tree is small and young
Those were probably the weak mangoes anyway  ;) :P
- Rob

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2012, 04:41:39 PM »
Such is the life in South Florida during mango time.  Spring winds every year take their toll....and it is considerable.  Fortunately, although we have trouble abiding such losses, most trees have set enough fruits that this is really necessary for the long term health of the tree.  It may not suit our glutinous desire to eat mangoes, but in the big picture, accept this as a method of keeping your trees healthy in the long term so that they can provide you years of fruiting enjoyment.

Harry
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

puglvr1

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2012, 04:52:07 PM »
SWRancher...I wish that was the case for me... But all I had was a light drizzle yesterday morning. Its been SO dry here, we had a brush fire a week ago about 1/4 mile from the house. Last time I had any measurable rain was the end of Feb.  :(

Harry, thanks for putting it in that perspective...I feel a little better about all those lost mangoes  :) 

behlgarden

• CA, Zone 10 B
    • View Profile
    • LED Bulbs for Landscape Lighting
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2012, 06:11:53 PM »
SWRancher...I wish that was the case for me... But all I had was a light drizzle yesterday morning. Its been SO dry here, we had a brush fire a week ago about 1/4 mile from the house. Last time I had any measurable rain was the end of Feb.  :(

Harry, thanks for putting it in that perspective...I feel a little better about all those lost mangoes  :)

Very well said. Also the fact that those that still remain on the tree would get VIP treatment of resources and nutrients from the tree now, thereby making these warriors the most delicious fruits.

Seadation

• USA, Miami, Fl, 33176 Zone 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2012, 12:01:35 AM »
Walked outside today to find my Coconut cream snapped cleanly on the graft line lying on the ground. Was heart broken. Made the call to Jeff and an hour later was on my way home with a Nice 7 gal CC a Sunrise for My buddy sleep and a fairchild #2 Canistel that is about 15 inches tall and already flowering. The wind was howling today in Kendall hopefully this is the end of it. Thanks Jeff!

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2012, 12:08:39 AM »
Jeff says, " Thanks wind!"   ;D ;D

Walked outside today to find my Coconut cream snapped cleanly on the graft line lying on the ground. Was heart broken. Made the call to Jeff and an hour later was on my way home with a Nice 7 gal CC a Sunrise for My buddy sleep and a fairchild #2 Canistel that is about 15 inches tall and already flowering. The wind was howling today in Kendall hopefully this is the end of it. Thanks Jeff!
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

Mr. Clean

• FLMangos.com
    • US, FL, West Palm Beach, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
    • Florida's Finest Mangos
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2012, 01:07:56 AM »
Jeff says, " Thanks wind!"   ;D ;D

This is a scary story.  Glad you found a solution.  I'm going to put a second reinforcing stick on my baby mango trees to minimize the risks of tree snapping.
www.FLMangos.com

110+ fruit trees/plants; 60+ mango trees; 9 jackfruit; 6 avocado; 3 persimmon; longan; and a dog that keeps raccoons and squirrels away.

puglvr1

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2012, 07:38:47 AM »
I'm very sorry about your young CC mango tree snapping in half...but very happy for you for getting a replacement so quickly. Good luck with your new tree!

I wish Jeff lived closer to me..

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2012, 08:11:29 AM »
A little advice when "staking" or tying up.  It is best to use a bamboo stake (of the like) against the trunk and tie the tree to the stake (at various intervals).  When multiple stakes are used "around the tree and the tree is tied to the steaks in different directions (as if mooring a boat), this can actually lead to a tree being snapped off.  The portion of the tree that is tied/supported is safe but the rest of the tree has no support.  As the wind blows the part that is unsupported, the point where it is tied up could be your "weak spot" where the tree actually snaps.
- Rob

Sleepdoc

• Davie, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2012, 08:33:46 AM »
A little advice when "staking" or tying up.  It is best to use a bamboo stake (of the like) against the trunk and tie the tree to the stake (at various intervals).  When multiple stakes are used "around the tree and the tree is tied to the steaks in different directions (as if mooring a boat), this can actually lead to a tree being snapped off.  The portion of the tree that is tied/supported is safe but the rest of the tree has no support.  As the wind blows the part that is unsupported, the point where it is tied up could be your "weak spot" where the tree actually snaps.

Good point .. I had not thought of that ...

I saw a pic of Seadatons tree ... snapped clean, along with the single bamboo stake tied snug against the trunk .. very low, like a few inches off the ground.   Paiinful to see ..

FloridaGreenMan

• Fort Lauderdale FL Zone 10B
    • Florida USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2012, 08:49:04 AM »
I am a firm believer in staking new trees. It improves your chances 100%, but like BS Bullie mentioned, you have to do it correctly.  By the way, those mangos that got knocked off by the wind were likely going to fall anyway. 
« Last Edit: April 07, 2012, 08:50:49 AM by FloridaGreenMan »
FloridaGreenMan

anaxel

• france zone 9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2012, 04:41:59 PM »
hi, :-[
sincerely sorry for what happens to you. :(
you can take pictures to see if there have a solution for your tree?

Seadation

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2012, 05:17:04 PM »
Still haven't figured out how to post pics from my iPad maybe Sleep can post it for me. I planted the new CC today and what was left of the old one I put in the7 gal pot to see what  happens. if I get seedling growth then maybe I can graft something on it.

MangoFang

• Palm Springs, CA, Zone 9B
  • Palm Springs, CA
    • Riverside, Palm Springs/CA, 92264,9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2012, 07:40:45 PM »
Thanks, BSBullie - I'm one of those that attaches a tree with a single tie to the stake.  Everything you say
makes perfect sense...I'll make the modifications....

FangoftheDesert

Sleepdoc

• Davie, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2012, 09:06:56 PM »
Still haven't figured out how to post pics from my iPad maybe Sleep can post it for me. I planted the new CC today and what was left of the old one I put in the7 gal pot to see what  happens. if I get seedling growth then maybe I can graft something on it.

Here is Seadations CC .

Before

After

« Last Edit: April 08, 2012, 05:33:45 AM by Sleepdoc »

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2012, 09:25:43 PM »

Here is Seadations CC ..

I assume these are before and after pics of the same tree ?
- Rob

Seadation

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2012, 10:01:12 PM »
That's correct. New one is in the same spot now.

puglvr1

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2012, 07:12:32 AM »
Wow...after seeing those pictures I can understand how heart breaking that was to see. It was a VERY nice tree... SO sorry!

At least you have a new replacement and with Rob's great advise on how to stake it... hopefully will prevent it from happening again.

anaxel

• france zone 9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2012, 05:36:21 PM »
hi,
you will replace or Grafted again?
Because You can Grafted again, is not dead! ???

Mr. Clean

• FLMangos.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 14, 2012, 09:00:03 PM »
DELETED
« Last Edit: April 16, 2014, 01:23:24 PM by Mr. Clean »
www.FLMangos.com

110+ fruit trees/plants; 60+ mango trees; 9 jackfruit; 6 avocado; 3 persimmon; longan; and a dog that keeps raccoons and squirrels away.

natsgarden123

« Reply #23 on: April 14, 2012, 09:33:23 PM »

Richard always told me that he didn't believe in staking newly planted fruit trees.  That he felt the trees would grow stronger without the stakes. Has that changed?

Mr. Clean

• FLMangos.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 15, 2012, 04:47:51 PM »
DELETED
« Last Edit: April 16, 2014, 01:23:40 PM by Mr. Clean »
www.FLMangos.com