Author Topic: Cecilove or Pickering?  (Read 1933 times)

Zafra

• tropical, around 2700ft elevation
    • View Profile
    • Casa Abya Yala
Cecilove or Pickering?
« on: August 19, 2021, 10:53:10 AM »
Which would you choose of the 2?

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
Re: Cecilove or Pickering?
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2021, 11:09:55 AM »
Ceci Love wins easily.

Zafra

• View Profile
    • Casa Abya Yala
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2021, 11:22:45 AM »
Based on flavor only or including other criteria?

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2021, 02:05:57 PM »
But 2 different flavor groups, right?
John

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2021, 02:56:15 PM »
Flavor mostly. Ceci Love is a wonderful mango, and one of my top 3 if not top. It just is so good. My first intro to it wasn't that great. Then had some properly ripened ones. Have to grow it. Re: growth, etc, not enough is known about Ceci Love grafted trees.

Added several scions to our Glenn tree, and was able to get a successful graft onto a Glenn seedling volunteer that popped up underneath a Norfolk pine. While the top work grafts are pleasing, can't tell you how happy it makes me to know that we are growing a tree solely bearing this fruit. Being a collector of favorite fruits that cannot be easily bought elsewhere, not having this tree/fruit in our collection would be silly.

That being said, Pickering is a great all around mango, and not a bad choice. I love it.

I gifted a Pickering to a friend who had no fruit trees for that reason (all around awesomeness). They are Miami natives, and said the mangoes were the best they've ever had. They are not mango maniacs like many of us though, and have never tried most of the ones we rave about.

As for flavor groups, no coconut flavor in CL like you can find in Pickering. Pickering has a sweet and balanced mango flavor, low to no fiber. CL is super sweet and has a mild tart component, and some spice, depending on ripeness. No to low fiber.

Here is a great idea; grow both!!! You will love each of them, but CLs will taste better.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2021, 03:00:21 PM by roblack »

Zafra

• View Profile
    • Casa Abya Yala
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2021, 05:51:02 PM »
That's great info thanks. Unfortunately it still leaves me undecided lol. I'm getting 3, E4 is for sure, I thought Orange Essence, and the third was to be Cecilove or Pickering. According to Alex they have a lot in common if you don't count flavor, including compact tree size, disease resistance, productivity and precociousness, so I guess that leaves flavor as the deciding factor.

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2021, 06:46:19 PM »
If you were only going to have 1 tree, would recommend Pickering bc of proven track record. Since you are going with a small collection of trees, would recommend CLo. Proven flavor bomb.

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2021, 08:30:40 PM »
When you had excellent! Good is not good enough. Get CeCilove and you might want to consider getting two E4 and one Venus. Venus is that excellent.
Tete Nene Julie Juliet Carrie Ice Cream Coconut Cream Little Gem  Dot  Mallika PPK  OS  Pina Colada Cotton Candy Buxton Spice Karen Michelle M-4 Beverly Marc Anthony White Pirie Lychee Cherilata Plantain Barbados Cherry

Zafra

• View Profile
    • Casa Abya Yala
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2021, 07:31:53 AM »
I actually have Venus, M4, Haden, Phoenix, Maha, Kesar and Honey Kiss.  None are fruiting yet though I have high hopes for M4, Venus and Haden next year.

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2021, 08:26:41 AM »
I actually have Venus, M4, Haden, Phoenix, Maha, Kesar and Honey Kiss.  None are fruiting yet though I have high hopes for M4, Venus and Haden next year.
I think you will be well pleased with M-4 Early in the season Pickering is good but Dwarf Hawaiian is much better. Cotton Candy would pair well with M4 as being late season. I have Honey Kiss and Pickering and as Gary would describe them as being vanilla. I consider them my juice mangos.
This is just my opinion I'm sure there will be others who disagree :)
« Last Edit: August 20, 2021, 08:36:25 AM by bovine421 »
Tete Nene Julie Juliet Carrie Ice Cream Coconut Cream Little Gem  Dot  Mallika PPK  OS  Pina Colada Cotton Candy Buxton Spice Karen Michelle M-4 Beverly Marc Anthony White Pirie Lychee Cherilata Plantain Barbados Cherry

ben mango

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2021, 10:29:51 AM »
I need to go to Florida next summer so I can try all these varieties. I tried Pickering for the first time this year and it reminded me somewhat of a Hawaiian grown Haden , but better.

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2021, 10:29:13 AM »
And you say you're getting Sugarloaf/E-4 for sure, then how about adding Cecilove and Orange Sherbet?  I think that would really round out your collection.
John

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2021, 12:44:48 PM »
You don't need any Cecil Love, M4, Honey Kiss, Venus.

Go buy some MSG in a plastic shaker bottle. Sprinkle some on a boring mango to turn it into an excellent mango that the Bovine, everyone will devour on the spot. Bursting with enhanced flavor. MSG originally was naturally extracted from Japanese seaweed. What you get today is made in a factory, but identical. #2- Watermelons are greatly enhanced with  lime juice poured over the slices. Lime juice that you can buy at Walmart for $1 per bottle. I like to pour this lime juice into a cold beer. Makes it taste like a lime soda. And makes the beer healthier for you. (My opinion)

#3- Lime juice in a bottle is a very green thing. The B grade limes have any bad parts cut off. They might not have bad spots, but look ugly. Then these B grade limes get juiced for you.  Those who buy limes will only buy unblemished fruits. They want grade A.  By making B grade limes into bottled juice, they are not tossed away or plowed under.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2021, 12:51:14 PM by zands »

Zafra

• View Profile
    • Casa Abya Yala
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2021, 01:08:04 PM »
And you say you're getting Sugarloaf/E-4 for sure, then how about adding Cecilove and Orange Sherbet?  I think that would really round out your collection.
I forgot to mention I also have Cac.
E4 is definite. I was thinking Orange Essence instead of Sherbet though. I feel like I've seen more jelly seed complaints about OS, but maybe that was my imagination?

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2021, 02:00:21 PM »
I forgot to mention I also have Cac.
E4 is definite. I was thinking Orange Essence instead of Sherbet though. I feel like I've seen more jelly seed complaints about OS, but maybe that was my imagination?
Orange Essence gets its citrus flavor from Gary, whereas OS gets it from Lemon Meringue (PPK), so OS would give you a stronger citrus flavor unless that's not what you want.  If you have a "jelly seed" problem with OS, shouldn't extra calcium (gypsum) help with that?  I love PPK.  It truly deserves the description "flavor bomb," but it wouldn't give you compact size.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2021, 02:04:50 PM by johnb51 »
John

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2021, 03:55:15 PM »
That msg citrus blend topping for mangoes is awful. Would ruin any decent mango. Save the msg for the General Tso's!

The best additive I've found for mango is passionfruit. Wonderful mix. Makes a mushy overripe and sweet mango pop with flavor, and somehow less funky.

OP: since you have a good collection of proven mangoes, why not add the best flavored one possible? Either that, or shoot for extending your season.

Zafra

• View Profile
    • Casa Abya Yala
« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2021, 07:20:32 PM »
 I'm leaning towards the Cecilove. I always enjoy these threads where people chime in on varieties. Thanks for the input everyone!

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2021, 10:26:38 AM »
That msg citrus blend topping for mangoes is awful. Would ruin any decent mango. Save the msg for the General Tso's!

No to lime juice on mangoes!
What I said was lime juice from a bottle goes great on watermelon. I am eating this combo at this very moment!
Also lime juice in a cold beer. Open beer. Drink two gulps to make room for the lime juice. Add at least 1oz lime juice. What you get tastes like a lime soda with some beer taste underneath it.