Author Topic: tasting very good chirimoyas (annona cherimola) from Argentina  (Read 6446 times)

huertasurbanas

• Junín, Argentina, zone 9b/9a
    • View Profile
    • huertasurbanas
tasting very good chirimoyas (annona cherimola) from Argentina
« on: October 15, 2015, 11:46:24 AM »
I bought them at a supermarket: it's the first time a chirimoya is being sold here at Argentina, in a supermarket, called "La Anónima".

It was very very good: acid, juicy and very sweet, much better than the ones I tasted in the past (from a greengrocery, they were from Perú). These ones are being cultivated at Argentina, I dont know from where province, maybe Tucumán.

I would say the flavour is similar to a mix of plum, lemon and custard, I am totally in love with them and hope my planted 1m tall tree grow fast this spring/summer :)

The ones with bumps where better than those without them.

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: tasting very good chirimoyas from Argentina
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2015, 01:33:05 PM »
Thanks for sharing the pics and taste report. I also love the complex flavor of cherimoya, just as you describe. After tasting many varieties, I find that I prefer the ones with more acidity and a more complex flavor rather than just sweet. My multigraft cherimoya got really bad sunburn with the 100+F temperatures we have had recently.

Simon

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2015, 06:29:19 PM »
I bought them at a supermarket: it's the first time a chirimoya is being sold here at Argentina, in a supermarket, called "La Anónima".

It was very very good: acid, juicy and very sweet, much better than the ones I tasted in the past (from a greengrocery, they were from Perú). These ones are being cultivated at Argentina, I dont know from where province, maybe Tucumán.

I would say the flavour is similar to a mix of plum, lemon and custard, I am totally in love with them and hope my planted 1m tall tree grow fast this spring/summer :)

The ones with bumps where better than those without them.

Are you sure that cherimoya is not available in supermarkets in northern Argentina? I think they are grown in area of Salta. I would think Tucuman area would be to hot for them? Maybe also grown in higher elevation Cordoba? Probably mostly for local consumption and usually not exported to the big apple: Buenos Aires.
Oscar

huertasurbanas

• View Profile
    • huertasurbanas
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2015, 09:47:04 PM »
Fine, Simon, did you tasted plum in a chirimoya too? how could you fight the sunburn? planting below a big tree? I planted my chirimoya below a lemon tree that I will prune then...

Oscar: maybe they are in the supermarkets from Salta, I dont know, maybe Carlos from jujuy could tell us. There is almost no info at Internet about cultivation in Argentina, sad. Tucuman could be even too humid?

Now I found something from 1999

http://www.lanacion.com.ar/198502-el-cultivo-de-chirimoya-augura-buenos-resultados-en-el-pais

yes: tucumán, jujuy and salta

I know that there are backyard growers that have fruiting trees at Mar del Plata and La Plata, and that there is a square at Rosario with a fruiting chirimoya, so they should fruit here at Junin too.

Tiff

• Redlands, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2015, 10:58:34 PM »
Thanks for sharing the pics and taste report. I also love the complex flavor of cherimoya, just as you describe. After tasting many varieties, I find that I prefer the ones with more acidity and a more complex flavor rather than just sweet. My multigraft cherimoya got really bad sunburn with the 100+F temperatures we have had recently.

Simon

Hi Simon,
Wow, your cherimoya tree has many fruits. You are right, fruits with more acidity are usually better. I haven't tasted different cherimoyas but I have tasted many different kinds of dragon fruits. The dragon fruit Delight is very sweet but less acidity which I don't like much, I like the other varieties which are more acidic such as Physical Graffiti, Nicaraguan...
Tiffy

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2015, 06:39:01 AM »
Fine, Simon, did you tasted plum in a chirimoya too? how could you fight the sunburn? planting below a big tree? I planted my chirimoya below a lemon tree that I will prune then...

Oscar: maybe they are in the supermarkets from Salta, I dont know, maybe Carlos from jujuy could tell us. There is almost no info at Internet about cultivation in Argentina, sad. Tucuman could be even too humid?

Now I found something from 1999

http://www.lanacion.com.ar/198502-el-cultivo-de-chirimoya-augura-buenos-resultados-en-el-pais

yes: tucumán, jujuy and salta

I know that there are backyard growers that have fruiting trees at Mar del Plata and La Plata, and that there is a square at Rosario with a fruiting chirimoya, so they should fruit here at Junin too.

High humidity is not a problem for cherimoya. It is grown here at above 300 meters elevation, and it is very humid here. What would be the problem for growing cherimoya in lowland Tucuman is the high temperatures, especially high nightime temperatures.
"Aunque los empresarios comprobaron que la fruta no se adaptaba con facilidad a los suelos tucumanos. En la actualidad están intentando cultivarlas en Jujuy y Salta."
Oscar

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: tasting very good cherimoyas from Argentina
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2015, 06:56:54 AM »
Can we plwase change the title of the thread to "cherimoya".  As it reads now, chirimoya, most would be referring to it as a custard apple,  or A. reticulata,  when we are in fact referring to a cherimoya, or A. cherimola.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2015, 06:58:37 AM by bsbullie »
- Rob

huertasurbanas

• View Profile
    • huertasurbanas
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2015, 10:03:02 AM »
Can we plwase change the title of the thread to "cherimoya".  As it reads now, chirimoya, most would be referring to it as a custard apple,  or A. reticulata,  when we are in fact referring to a cherimoya, or A. cherimola.

here we call them chirimoya and no one knows anything about a. reticulata

Delvi83

• Italy
    • View Profile
    • Il Gusto della Natura
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2015, 04:36:19 PM »
To be honest also here....

ClayMango

• MangoHunter
    • Zone 9B Ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2015, 08:06:41 PM »

Bully my Wife calls them that too... I think it's a spanish term.
Thinking about joining a Fruitaholics anonymous support group...Fruit addiction has taken over my life!

huertasurbanas

• View Profile
    • huertasurbanas
Re: tasting very good chirimoyas (annona cherimola) from Argentina
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2015, 08:50:36 PM »
Bully, I dont have nothing against you, but you are a bit wrong about trying to change it's name here in the forum... maybe you are right this is an english speaking forum, but here we are people from South América, chirimoya is native from Perú, and the native people calls it just chirimoya, as we do it here and in many other countries (millon of people calling it chirimoya)... also at Spain, Portugal and maybe many other non american countries...

by the way: dont you know why did you (the english speaking people) changed/corrupted its wording to "cherimoya"? I mean, historically

ClayMango

• MangoHunter
    • Zone 9B Ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2015, 09:43:05 PM »
Bully, I dont have nothing against you, but you are a bit wrong about trying to change it's name here in the forum... maybe you are right this is an english speaking forum, but here we are people from South América, chirimoya is native from Perú, and the native people calls it just chirimoya, as we do it here and in many other countries (millon of people calling it chirimoya)... also at Spain, Portugal and maybe many other non american countries...

by the way: dont you know why did you (the english speaking people) changed/corrupted its wording to "cherimoya"? I mean, historically

Look man... we changed all the spanish words and kept no... deal with it lol
Thinking about joining a Fruitaholics anonymous support group...Fruit addiction has taken over my life!

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2015, 10:07:40 PM »

I believe its from Cuba as far as the name Chirimoya meaning custard apple.   I was not and am not trying to chage your language.   All i was stating is exactly what you did, change the title so readers would know what fruit you were referring to.   While i could be wrong, just on the name itself i believe most who read this forum would think the name Chirimoya alone would be referring to a custar apple, A. reticulata.
- Rob

huertasurbanas

• View Profile
    • huertasurbanas
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2015, 10:07:55 PM »
Allright bully

And maybe we should not say to all these businessmen that sell cherimoya, that they should also change its name to the english "cherimoya"!

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2015, 11:17:24 PM »

I believe its from Cuba as far as the name Chirimoya meaning custard apple.   I was not and am not trying to chage your language.   All i was stating is exactly what you did, change the title so readers would know what fruit you were referring to.  While i could be wrong, just on the name itself i believe most who read this forum would think the name Chirimoya alone would be referring to a custar apple, A. reticulata.

Yeah you're wrong Rob. In most of latin america the word "chirimoya" is the name for cherimoya. And we have lots of latinos on the forum that are not from Cuba. Cuba is an exception in that what they call chirimoya = Annona reticulata. They don't grow regular cherimoya there. But to be fair, the spanish names for this genus are very general and so as a result very confusing. In many places all of the species of Annona are called by the simple name of "Anona". Likewise with the name "chirimoya" it can often refer to almost any Annona species. But cherimoya is the most widely cultivated in latin america of the species.
Oscar

DurianLover

• Bali, Indonesia
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2015, 10:43:16 PM »

But to be fair, the spanish names for this genus are very general and so as a result very confusing. In many places all of the species of Annona are called by the simple name of "Anona".

Funny in Sri Lanka they took one step farther and somehow anona became anoda (with d). On top of that they gave local "surnames" to all "anodas". Only cherymoya keeps original name. Not chirimoya.  For the sake of simplicity I also pronounce anoda when dealing with locals. Here is excerpt from article:

Sri Lanka has just four varieties of dozens worldwide - the katu anoda (soursop or annona muricata), weli anoda (sweetsop, sugar apple, annona squamosa), matti anoda (custard apple, bullocks heart, annona reticulate), and 
the cherimoya (annona cherimola). 
All four varieties are largely found in home gardens and forested areas, and are not commercially cultivated.

http://www.serendib.btoptions.lk/article.php?issue=55&id=1415