Author Topic: Selling: Myrciaria floribunda (Rumberry/Guavaberry) Seedlings  (Read 793 times)

W.

• United States, Alabama, 7b
    • View Profile
I am selling off some extra Myrciaria floribunda seedlings from my collection. Commonly known as Rumberry or Guavaberry, this species is in the Myrtaceae family and is an essential plant for any growers trying to build a strong Myrtaceae collection. Its growth habit and foliage is similar to other Myrciarias and Plinias, and it can be kept in a pot for quite a while as it is slow growing, particularly when young.

These seeds are from plants located in the U.S. Virgin Islands and were purchased from a fellow Tropical Fruit Forum member.

Although photographed in the sun, these plants have been grown in a mostly shaded location so far this spring and indoors under grow lights in the winter; they were moved into full sun briefly just for me to take photographs of them. They should be introduced to sunnier conditions gradually to prevent any leaf burn or other damage.

These plants will be shipped using USPS Priority Mail with the shipping costs based on the size, weight, number of plants ordered, and buyer location. I will do what I can to save you money on shipping costs without damaging them, but these plants are small, so thankfully the USPS's oversized package charges should not apply. They will not be shipped bare root; they will be shipped in their containers, as pictured. As anyone here on the Forum who has ordered from in the past knows, I pride myself on packing plants very securely. I do not ship internationally. Buyers in California, Arizona, and Hawaii should purchase plants at your own risk; I am not responsible if they are confiscated.

Payment through PayPal.

Feel free to contact me with any questions you might have.

Myrciaria floribunda Group Pot – 5 plants – 1"-4" tall – Sold as a Group – $75
Myrciaria floribunda seeds are notorious for having a poor germination rate, something that has been discussed on this Forum by myself and others. When I purchased these seeds in late 2020, a few came up quickly that winter and a few more came up gradually in the spring and summer of 2021. Most of them, about a dozen seeds, did absolutely nothing, so I took them out of their seed starting tray and placed them in this group pot. I kept it watered but generally paid no attention to it. In the fall and winter of 2022, four seeds germinated, and at the end of April of this year, a fifth seed germinated. Over two years after first being planted! So, this pot contains those five plants plus all the other seeds I threw in there in 2021 (6 to 9 ungerminated seeds) which may or may not still be viable. It goes to show that you should never give up on Myrciaria floribunda seeds. I ended up with a decent germination rate after all; it just took over two years.

Myrciaria floribunda Individual Plants – 2 plants 1 plant – Sold Individually
Smaller Plant (on the Left) is 4" tall – $22
Larger Plant (on the Left) is almost 7" tall – $30
These plants both germinated in 2021. Both have remained small but are starting to branch out, a sign (at least based on what I have seen with my other plants) that they are about to start growing at a faster (but still fairly slow) rate.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2023, 06:27:38 PM by W. »

Jaboticaba45

• Check out TN Tropical Fruits!
  • Tropical Fruit Tree Connoisseur
    • Chattanooga TN 7b
    • View Profile
Re: Selling: Myrciaria floribunda (Rumberry/Guavaberry) Seedlings
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2023, 06:39:25 PM »
I grafted a few onto sabara and they all took for now.

W.

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2023, 06:57:59 PM »

Based on what I've heard of Adam Shafran's experience, grafting Myrciarias onto Sabara rootstock is hit-or-miss depending on the species. But, if you have the rootstock and the scions, it never hurts to experiment. Without some growers experimenting and succeeding (or failing), we would all have a lot less knowledge of what can and cannot be grown. Here's to your experiment being a success.

W.

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2023, 01:26:33 PM »
Bump

tru

• Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2023, 01:32:09 PM »
huge vouch for W. healthiest plants I've ever seen!
instagram @trumansacco

Jaboticaba45

• Check out TN Tropical Fruits!
  • Tropical Fruit Tree Connoisseur
    • Chattanooga TN 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2023, 03:27:08 PM »

Based on what I've heard of Adam Shafran's experience, grafting Myrciarias onto Sabara rootstock is hit-or-miss depending on the species. But, if you have the rootstock and the scions, it never hurts to experiment. Without some growers experimenting and succeeding (or failing), we would all have a lot less knowledge of what can and cannot be grown. Here's to your experiment being a success.
W,
what myrciarias did Adam mention? I don't recall him mentioning them before.
I heard of someone trying glazioviana to edulis, but it didn't work out. I mean plinia and myrciaria is vastly different, but the rumberry looked just like a plinia leading me to try to graft it.

D-Grower

• United States, Florida, zone 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2023, 05:14:40 PM »
The rumberry I got from W. last year sometime has done very well and put on significant growth. Really cool species. Want to try out the fruits but I imagine it'll still be awhile. Any idea on age to fruit?
Trying to grow it all!

W.

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2023, 09:07:15 PM »
The rumberry I got from W. last year sometime has done very well and put on significant growth. Really cool species. Want to try out the fruits but I imagine it'll still be awhile. Any idea on age to fruit?

Rumberry is Sabara-like in its time to fruiting: about eight years. I've seen references in literature to fruiting in six years, but the couple of growers I've read about who have personal experience growing it say that their plants took eight years, in Florida.

Patience is a virtue when growing Myrtaceae.

W.

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2023, 09:34:47 PM »

W,
I heard of someone trying glazioviana to edulis, but it didn't work out. I mean plinia and myrciaria is vastly different, but the rumberry looked just like a plinia leading me to try to graft it.

I seem to remember him talking about grafting difficulties with guaquiea and strigipes. He had tried grafting them on a few different things, and they did not take on everything. I think glazioviana might have been mentioned as having the same characteristic, as well. I'm not 100% positive about that, though. This information came from one of his live streams from a couple of years ago, and I could be recalling things incorrectly. I went through a period during that time where I was watching a lot of his live streams. At least 95% of those streams were completely useless, inane drivel about chickens and skateboarding and other nonsense. But, that 5% of the stream where he actually talked about growing Plinias and other plants was an absolute gold mine of information and made up for the rest of the nonsense. I wish I had taken some notes or made some clips from those live streams. They're still on YouTube, but there's probably a thousand of them; way too many to comb through to get that 5% of expert Plinia knowledge.

Bush2Beach

• Santa Cruz, California Sunset Zone 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2023, 02:06:09 AM »
This info is buried in the forum somewhere. Adam sent me guaquiea and strigipes scions to graft onto Glazioviana, I believe because that had worked for him. My grafts failed.
I doubt Rumberry will not suffer from delayed incompatibility onto Sabara, but time will tell.
Seedlings don't pop up for sale here that often , though it is not that rare.
I had bad germination rates and no luck digging up suckers from the 100's of seedlings under a giant Rumberry planted in the 1930's!

While Adam was spewing a lot of nonsense, filming himself harassing his USPS delivery driver and showing off the Adam's apples of his dates ,
 I would like to say a lot of people really like raising chickens and going skateboarding. I don't think either of those hobbies are well described as nonsense .

W,

I seem to remember him talking about grafting difficulties with guaquiea and strigipes. He had tried grafting them on a few different things, and they did not take on everything. I think glazioviana might have been mentioned as having the same characteristic, as well. I'm not 100% positive about that, though. This information came from one of his live streams from a couple of years ago, and I could be recalling things incorrectly. I went through a period during that time where I was watching a lot of his live streams. At least 95% of those streams were completely useless, inane drivel about chickens and skateboarding and other nonsense. But, that 5% of the stream where he actually talked about growing Plinias and other plants was an absolute gold mine of information and made up for the rest of the nonsense. I wish I had taken some notes or made some clips from those live streams. They're still on YouTube, but there's probably a thousand of them; way too many to comb through to get that 5% of expert Plinia knowledge.

W.

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2023, 10:02:08 PM »

W,

This info is buried in the forum somewhere. Adam sent me guaquiea and strigipes scions to graft onto Glazioviana, I believe because that had worked for him. My grafts failed.
I doubt Rumberry will not suffer from delayed incompatibility onto Sabara, but time will tell.
Seedlings don't pop up for sale here that often , though it is not that rare.
I had bad germination rates and no luck digging up suckers from the 100's of seedlings under a giant Rumberry planted in the 1930's!

While Adam was spewing a lot of nonsense, filming himself harassing his USPS delivery driver and showing off the Adam's apples of his dates ,
 I would like to say a lot of people really like raising chickens and going skateboarding. I don't think either of those hobbies are well described as nonsense .

To each his own as to whether something is or is not nonsense. Raising chickens is not, in and of itself, nonsense; it can be quite useful as long as those people raising chickens don't live me, and I don't have to hear them. My point was more about the large amount of non-fruit growing conversation on live streams either ostensibly or explicitly about rare fruit growing.

It's too bad Tropical Fruit Forum's search feature is not very good. It can make it somewhat difficult to find stuff.

W.

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2023, 12:51:49 AM »
Bump

W.

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2023, 06:27:26 PM »
The 7" floribunda seedling has sold. Price drop on the remaining seedlings.

W.

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2023, 05:37:54 PM »
Bump

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk