Citrus > Cold Hardy Citrus

Macrophylla Vs FD vs C-35 root stock

(1/4) > >>

Desertcitrus:
I just purchased a Meyer lemon from Las Vegas not even thinking about root stock. It turns out the root stock is Macrophylla. What are the pros and cons of that root stock?  It will not be living at my house it was a gift and will be in zone 5 so indoors in the winter. I also was going to buy myself one from the same nursery until I realized that rootstock might not be very cold hardy.

So far I have gathered that Macrophylla, is not very cold tolerant, FD is but is very slow growing and that C-35 is cold tolerant and slow  growing. I’m not sure if I got that correct or not.
I also just bought an owari on C-35 that I plan to plant outside with protection. I also want to buy a Meyer lemon, and Meiwa komquat for outside. For inside either another Meyer or a pink lemonade, and a lime. What rootstock is the best for those situations. I would rather have a tree grow faster and produce more fruit and have to trim it than have one that takes forever to grow and bare fruit. Any suggestions?

drymifolia:
Meyer lemon roots easily, so just take cuttings and have it on its own roots.

Desertcitrus:
How long does it take to get fruit that way? I’m not very patient.

Zitrusgaertner:
rooted cuttings bloom immediatly.

BorisR:
But in order for the rooted stalk to reach an acceptable size for fruiting, 3-4 years will pass.

Do they have citrumelo rootstock?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version