Author Topic: Poncirus Seedlings  (Read 4040 times)

mikkel

• Lueneburg, Germany Zone 7
    • View Profile
Poncirus Seedlings
« on: May 17, 2018, 03:51:54 PM »
These are Poncirus seedlings from Georgia. The young leaves look different from other seedlings I have. The leave tips are very pointed when young but get rounder when older. Other seedlings I have (mostly from Europe) have also round tips when still young.
Georgia Poncirus by hebamme.lena, on Flickr

Ilya11

• France, Paris region, Vaux le Penil, middle of Northern z8
    • View Profile
Re: Poncirus Seedlings
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2018, 05:50:52 PM »
Look more like  citrange.
Best regards,
                       Ilya

mikkel

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2018, 04:28:00 AM »
they come from a feral population. All seedlings grow different, zygotic? Interesting.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2018, 04:38:55 AM by mikkel »

Walt

• USA, Kansas, Kanopolis, zone 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2018, 01:44:23 PM »
How old are they?  Are they blooming size yet?

Walt

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2018, 01:47:28 PM »
When growing Poncirus for fruit (seeds), what spacing do you use?

mikkel

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2018, 02:31:08 PM »
They are still young. I got them 2 years ago. No idea how old they have been at that time.
I don`t have a mature Poncirus. only seedlings so far. I have a bigger plant in the garden it still refuses to bloom.
Had no luck with precPoncirus and other grafted ones. It seems Poncirus is my biggest quest.

Citradia

• USA/NC/Old Fort/6B
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2018, 05:59:46 PM »
My poncyrus are 15 feet tall and in ground from seedling for past six years, good sun. Don't bloom well. Only started blooming the past three years. Most blossoms killed by freezing every spring. My dragon bloomed first time  this year, 6 years from seed and three feet tall. I had to fertilize them more with miracle grow the past few years to get bloom at all.

Walt

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2018, 02:44:55 PM »
Wow.  Not encouraging.
My seed source, Hong's Landscaping in Wichita, Kansas has had regular fruiting for many years.  But Mr. Hong doesn't remember his sourse nor does he remember how long he has had them.  His 2 bushes, not really trees, are about 3 M tall and 5 m wide, with many trunks each.  They are by a fence where they get no attention.  They are of no importance to his landscape business, nor to his mostly beautifully landscaped grounds.
I have 5 year old seedlings from seeds from these to bushes.  Sounds like it will be a while before I'll be getting my own seed or pollen.  Well, I can drive 140 miles to get pollen if I have to.  But first my citrus will have to grow a while.
I have been promised a grafted precocious P.t later this summer, but it sounds like any resulting seedlings will take quite a while as the precocious is recessive.

mikkel

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2018, 04:51:41 PM »
but it sounds like any resulting seedlings will take quite a while as the precocious is recessive.
I cross prec. P.t. and Microcitrus this season. Might be more likely to obtain something precocious again. My aim is not a frost hardy type but a whatever better precocious hybrid for further crossing. In best case something with different genes for precociousness.
I have not theoretically background about this, any idea?

Walt

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2018, 05:16:44 PM »
My guess is that inheritance of precociousness from a naturally precocious species will be due to several genes, and the F1 will be intermediate between the parents.  P. trifoliata precociousness is due to single recessive trait.  So I think you are on the right track.  The partial precocity of the hybrid will get you through the F1 generation sooner that less precocious citrus species crossed with precocious Pt.  Then in the F2 I expect the homozygous precocious from Pt will divide the F2 generation into 2 maturity groups, each showing variation in precocity due to the microcitris genes.
That's my guess.  I'm getting set up to do similar crosses, but you are way ahead of me.

mikkel

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2018, 05:45:29 PM »
I just found out these seedlings came from Little Mulberry Trail Auburn, Georgia.

hardyvermont

• Anderson SC z 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2022, 09:52:46 AM »
Mikkel, Do you still have these plants?  Are they still different looking?

mikkel

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2022, 06:21:08 PM »
Yes, some are still there. They were planted in my garden 2 or maybe 3 years ago. They survived the cold winter of 20/21 but suffered from the milder winter of 21/22 this season most of them died.