Author Topic: HRS 899 experiences ?  (Read 2634 times)

tedburn

• Mühlacker, zone 7
    • View Profile
HRS 899 experiences ?
« on: December 20, 2020, 04:55:45 AM »
Hello, inspired by an older post of usirius to getting jam out of HRS 899 and the conclusion  that edibility and jam seems to be good I wondered which clone of HRS 899 this was and what expiriences have been made with HRS 899 in the Forum and especially I would be interested in HRS 899A, the clone I planted this year in ground.
Thanks in advance, Frank

tedburn

• Mühlacker, zone 7
    • View Profile
Re: HRS 899 experiences ?
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2020, 12:42:03 PM »
Sylvain, thanks for the link, good information to HRS 899, would still be interesting if someone already got fruit and can tell something to fruit edibility and fruit size. Frost hadiness seems to be promising.
Best regards Frank

mikkel

• Lueneburg, Germany Zone 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2020, 04:12:19 PM »
Robert, (zitrusgärtner) has a fruiting 899A.

bussone

• Philadelphia, PA (7a)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2022, 08:47:14 PM »
On a related note, has anyone seen an HRS 811 or an HRS 849?

These were tested as rootstock years back. I’m curious about the Seville/poncirus crosses.

mikkel

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2022, 02:56:36 PM »
do you have a link? I haven`t seen any information about any HRS type before except the f2 seedling plants of 899

bussone

• Philadelphia, PA (7a)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2022, 03:34:56 PM »
https://citrusrootstocks.org/wp-content/uploads/2020/03/Lynchburg-1991-publication.pdf

Older reference.

I'd been considering that the 'tasty poncirus hybrid' effort had been mostly directed at juice/fruit use, when there was already in common use a runty, ugly, bitter little orange that was all but useful for juice or fresh use, but was already directed towards the flavoring/candying usage that poncirus is almost useful for already -- citrus aurantium -- the Seville and its sour family. But citradias are hard to find and the hobby seemed strangely free of aurantium hybrids -- doubly strange because both sour oranges and bitter oranges are common rootstocks.

Running across the paper, it occurred to me just how many hybrids the USDA churns out down in Florida in their search for tolerant rootstocks, but because it's driven by the fruit industry, no one seems to even evaluate the fruit. But being as they do exist, I'm curious if anyone has let the stock grow to maturity and seen what developed.

Total longshot, but I was curious. A good aurantium cross might be really useful as a marmalade fruit. I know from experience that straight poncirus makes an acceptable orange gin flavoring. But if it can be made to taste more like Seville does in the same role, you'd have something that was good.

poncirsguy

• Cincinnati, Ohio, USA, 6a/6b
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2022, 09:31:46 PM »
My Seville sour oranges die at temperatures below 18F.

mikkel

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2022, 04:58:25 AM »
Maybe there are some at the Winterhaven Arboretum? HRS899 is from Winterhaven, maybe there are other hybrids there?
There are 3 Citradia types on the UCR website, all of which are inedible.
In Europe there is a so called Citradia which is probably a rough lemon (jambhiri). It is edible and has a pleasant lemon flavor, but very unlikely to be a citradia.

Here you can find pictures from the Winterhaven Arboretum

https://www.flickr.com/photos/36882534@N00/albums/72157682876906605

I read that the Arboretum has been hit hard lately by Citrus Greening.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2022, 05:00:03 AM by mikkel »