Tropical Fruit > Tropical Fruit Discussion

2022 Indian Mango season in SoCal

(1/4) > >>

simon_grow:
I just picked up a box of Kesar Mangos from Miramar Cash and Carry in San Diego. The price has gone up to $45 for a box of 10 mangos. I don’t know the quality yet because the fruit are not ripe. Please feel free to post updates about varieties available at the local Indian Supermarkets and or taste reviews.

Simon

Johnny Eat Fruit:
Yep, Prices are up indeed. The last time I purchased my Kesars about 3 years ago it was $25-$30 a box. I still have memories of the inflationary 1970s and early 80s what that did to the price of everything. We may look back in 5-8 years from now and think $45 a box is a great deal after they are $80-90 a box. Really looking forward to the Alphonso's as it is my favorite Indian mango.

Thanks for the update, Simon.

Johnny

Victoria Ave:
There is a pioneer cash and carry that is supposed to open here in riverside this year! I hope they do in time for mango season, otherwise maybe I’ll have to swing by artesia.

I have thought about ordering some of the ones that are harder to get in stores from mangozz so I can expand my tasting and get a better feel what I like.

Recently ordered some madam Francis from tropical fruit box and am very impressed and am germinating the poly seeds

simon_grow:

--- Quote from: Johnny Eat Fruit on May 17, 2022, 08:22:49 AM ---Yep, Prices are up indeed. The last time I purchased my Kesars about 3 years ago it was $25-$30 a box. I still have memories of the inflationary 1970s and early 80s what that did to the price of everything. We may look back in 5-8 years from now and think $45 a box is a great deal after they are $80-90 a box. Really looking forward to the Alphonso's as it is my favorite Indian mango.

Thanks for the update, Simon.

Johnny

--- End quote ---

Johnny,

Try O-15, it is very sweet with a nice Indian resinous taste. I’m falling out of favor with Alphonso because of disease issues, spongy tissue and internal breakdown.

Simon

Johnny Eat Fruit:
Yep Simon 0-15 is a winner indeed. Planted my small tree in the summer of 2021 after grafting and it already put on some fruit this year. I removed the small fruit from my 0-15 this year so the tree could focus on vegetative growth. Looking forward to some fruit in a year or two. (See attached photo)

On a related side note my fruit punch mango Graft I did in 2020 has grown very well on my older established rootstock and is now holding some nice fruit. Looking forward to trying the fruit this September or so.

I do adore Alphonso if you catch it at the right time without the issues you describe. The ones I had prior to Covid had an intense sweetness and a rich Indian flavor. I do like Kesar also but a good Alhonso at the peak is superior in my opinion. Can't wait to try 0-15 as it is also a good grower.

Johnny

Young 0-15 Mango Tree

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version