Author Topic: Blooming foliar fertilizers. Do they work?  (Read 2278 times)

CTMIAMI

• View Profile
Blooming foliar fertilizers. Do they work?
« on: June 13, 2013, 07:56:54 PM »
There are dozens of fertilizers  so called Bloom Natural, Bloom buster, Super Bloom, Bloom Foliar and the list go on and on.. Does any one has any experience with any of these  products and their ability to accelerate blooming in fruit trees. Comments will be appreciate. I would like to try one of these products on my avocados but I wonder if it is snake oil or someone can tell me something positive about one or more of these products that may have experience with.
Thanks
Carlos
 Tweeter: @carlosdlt280
www.myavocadotrees.com
zone 10a Miami-Dade County

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
Re: Blooming foliar fertilizers. Do they work?
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2020, 10:56:10 PM »
There are dozens of fertilizers  so called Bloom Natural, Bloom buster, Super Bloom, Bloom Foliar and the list go on and on.. Does any one has any experience with any of these  products and their ability to accelerate blooming in fruit trees. Comments will be appreciate. I would like to try one of these products on my avocados but I wonder if it is snake oil or someone can tell me something positive about one or more of these products that may have experience with.
Thanks
Good? do they work?
Tete Nene Julie Juliet Carrie Ice Cream Coconut Cream Little Gem  Dot  Mallika PPK  OS  Pina Colada Cotton Candy Buxton Spice Karen Michelle M-4 Beverly Marc Anthony White Pirie Lychee Cherilata Plantain Barbados Cherry

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2020, 11:14:42 PM »
It can't hurt to use it once in January if you want more flowers.  I usually use a flower and bloom 3-12-12 with micro (soil application not foliar) once before bloom time then go back to a regular citrus avocado feeding in spring and summer.

The ones that are like 10-60-10 are probably overkill.  I would use it in moderation
Brad Spaugh

TonyinCC

• Trying to enjoy home grown fruit 12 months a year
    • Cape Coral,FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2020, 08:35:08 AM »
I have used soluble kelp powder(ascophyllum nodosum) as a general tonic for plants that fail to thrive for over 20 years. It is great for treating trace element deficiencies which may be one factor, but it also contains natural substances that make plants thrive. I have been told it increases grafting success if applied to scion and stock but have not tested it. It does seem to help with rooting cuttings. I first noticed it to increase bloom on citrus,but it seems to work on everything. 5 pounds in a single application rejuvenated 10 acres of pasture so quickly and of such high quality to the point that neighbors asked what I sprayed it with. It seems to work equally well for me just making a solution of higher than recommended concentration in watering cans now that I sold my farm and tractor in South Carolina and live on a city lot in Cape Coral. I am on 3rd crop of starfruit this year and tree is loaded with fruit and bloom.  This is the first year I used it on that tree. It never made more than a Winter and a Summer crop before but now it seems like it will more or less crop continuously if I keep giving it a watering can of kelp solution every few weeks. That tree had micronutrient deficiency problems before but foliage is a much darker green now.
If it wasn't so damn expensive, I would use it even more. Soluble kelp powder is more expensive than kelp meal. The cost per pound comes down in bulk but the cheapest I have found on Amazon is still about $450 for 25 pounds. The cost has more than doubled over the past 20 years. Store it indoors in climate controlled conditions, not in an outdoor shed. I have not bought from the following company but they have a good description of it and how it is used.
http://www.humboldtnutrients.com/blog/ascophyllum-nodosum/

CTMIAMI

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2020, 07:57:44 AM »
I usually buy a 44 lbs box of soluble sea weed from
https://maxicrop.com/

Really good soluble sea weed very concentrated and I do get very decent prices contacting Kim there. Comes out to like $9 a lbs 
Carlos
 Tweeter: @carlosdlt280
www.myavocadotrees.com
zone 10a Miami-Dade County

Mark in Texas

• Fredericksburg Texas, (central TX), zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2020, 07:59:36 AM »
Thanks

It's all marketing hype. Leaves produce fruit, not one particular element which must work in unison with the others.

Check out the good doctor's take under Fertilizers. https://puyallup.wsu.edu/lcs/
« Last Edit: August 21, 2020, 08:03:36 AM by Mark in Texas »

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2020, 03:08:30 PM »
Thanks

It's all marketing hype. Leaves produce fruit, not one particular element which must work in unison with the others.

Check out the good doctor's take under Fertilizers. https://puyallup.wsu.edu/lcs/

Thanks Mark :)   The Myth of Foliar Feeding  Applying fertilizers to leaves (or the soil) without regard to
actual mineral needs wastes time and money, can injure plant roots and soil organisms, and contributes to
the increasing problem of environmental pollution.

Very interesting read

https://s3.wp.wsu.edu/uploads/sites/403/2015/03/foliar-feeding.pdf

Soils that have been heavily used for agricultural
crops are often deficient in phosphorus, as are acid sandy and granitic soils. In landscaped urban soils,
however, phosphorus is rarely deficient and the misapplication of this element can have serious
repercussions on the plant, the soil environment, and adjoining watersheds.

I was wondering why the middle number in recommended fertilizers are low.

If you have a nutrient deficiency that is not relieved by nitrogen addition, try a foliar application of
likely nutrients and see if the symptoms are alleviated. This prevents excessive addition of
mineral nutrients to the soil.

https://s3.wp.wsu.edu/uploads/sites/403/2015/03/phosphate.pdf

« Last Edit: August 21, 2020, 03:58:19 PM by bovine421 »
Tete Nene Julie Juliet Carrie Ice Cream Coconut Cream Little Gem  Dot  Mallika PPK  OS  Pina Colada Cotton Candy Buxton Spice Karen Michelle M-4 Beverly Marc Anthony White Pirie Lychee Cherilata Plantain Barbados Cherry

Mark in Texas

• Fredericksburg Texas, (central TX), zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2020, 11:11:33 AM »
Best foliar spray on the market for complete nutrition is Dyna-Gro.  Don't forget the surfactant.

alexgreen

« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2022, 07:27:58 AM »
Spammer
« Last Edit: April 01, 2022, 08:09:21 AM by JakeFruit »

alexgreen

« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2022, 07:47:10 AM »
Same spammer
« Last Edit: April 01, 2022, 08:10:12 AM by JakeFruit »

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2022, 03:05:15 PM »
I've never used it but this fall after Thanksgiving holiday going to find some with 0 nitrogen. Then spray sweet tart  and orange sherbet. I am hoping not to have a tropical December in 2022. I may even griddle or girder a branch on Sweet Tart as the California crew has suggested. If it works on stonefruit why not give it a try

GFC

• High Springs Florida Zone 8b
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2022, 11:31:06 AM »
I've used this foliar spray on my citrus but can't really say it made a difference.

https://www.amazon.com/Southern-Ag-01902-Citrus-Nutritional/dp/B00A51Y8ZM/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2022, 04:04:08 AM »
I have used soluble kelp powder(ascophyllum nodosum) as a general tonic for plants that fail to thrive for over 20 years. It is great for treating trace element deficiencies which may be one factor, but it also contains natural substances that make plants thrive. I have been told it increases grafting success if applied to scion and stock but have not tested it. It does seem to help with rooting cuttings. I first noticed it to increase bloom on citrus,but it seems to work on everything. 5 pounds in a single application rejuvenated 10 acres of pasture so quickly and of such high quality to the point that neighbors asked what I sprayed it with.

Book marking this. I am thinking that dump this https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2380057.m570.l2632&_nkw=kelp+meal&_sacat=159912 into a five gallon bucket, fill with water. Let this ferment for 15-30 days. Run through a fine mesh strainer. Take the kelp dregs and run through a strong blender. Use as a foliar or a drench.