Author Topic: Colombia Seeds from the Tikuna Reserva coming soon  (Read 620 times)

SouthBayHapaJoe

• View Profile
Colombia Seeds from the Tikuna Reserva coming soon
« on: May 26, 2022, 06:32:47 PM »
For the past week I traveled to Colombia and spent time different Tikuna families in in the Indigenous Reserva off the Amazon river near Leticia. I went to learn about the culture and agricultural practices and of course explore for rare fruits. I absolutely fell in love with the simple way of life and community culture. I hired local guides and stayed in the community and we explored the jungle together for fruits. The seeds were shared so the communities can use them  to add to the the different community “chagras”.  Chagras are where everyone chips in to maintain and they use to grow food staples. Like a free grocery store! However because of politics and border disputes many chagras and old practices have been lost to time. The extra seeds we gathered I am offering to the public with permission from the Tikuna. Part of the proceeds will go to seed procurement to trade with the Tikuna. I plan to go back very soon to keep my word and bring seeds (Artocarpus jackfruit and other food staples) to the families. Here are some pics of some of the findings. Some Things we have yet to ID!

FruitFly

• USA, CA, Sunset Zone17, USDA Zone10B
    • View Profile
Re: Colombia Seeds from the Tikuna Reserva coming soon
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2022, 07:52:04 PM »
Everything looks super delicious! Can’t wait to hear more about this exciting adventure!

cassowary

• Australia FNQ 13a Tropical Monsoon
    • View Profile
    • cassowaryseeds
Re: Colombia Seeds from the Tikuna Reserva coming soon
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2022, 09:54:35 PM »
Wow that looks great and they will be thrilled with some jackfruit.
 Pangium edule and Durian should be some tree's they should also grow!

I have some Pangium edule seeds now to swap if you want, it's a delicious fruit, sweet with a reminisence of durian and jackfruit. It also fruits when there is very few other tree's bearing so it's very valuable here in AU, although not common yet.

/cassowary
CASSOWARYSEEDS.COM
Seed shop and Seed exchange