Author Topic: Cherimoya better than Atemoya  (Read 11011 times)

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Administrator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
Re: Cherimoya better than Atemoya
« Reply #25 on: April 29, 2014, 07:48:19 PM »
Yah, familiarity may be the issue.

I'm definitely not knocking the atemoya. Atemoya is one of my favorite fruits. I'd say that my 2 favorite Florida fruits are atemoya and mango, in no particular order. But the cherimoya takes the top spot of the 3. Lychee might take #4.

PS, lychee has an acidic component to it too, but the flavor isn't as complex as the cherimoya. Don't the asians like lychee or something?
Jeff  :-)

Doglips

• Houston TX 9A
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 29, 2014, 08:12:39 PM »
There was a thread, not too far back with a So Cal tasting and the cherimoyas won out with some ease.  It seemed to be a pretty good testing, They had multiple varieties with several people coming up with similar results.  Im a big fan of side by testing, memories can cloud with time and side by side helps eliminate this.  Coupled with multiple testers and I think you can get some good opinions.  The testing is regional so consider if your tastes match So Cal.

Im making purchases based on their opinions.

And Behl was the winner.

Osito

• Zone 10b
    • Long Beach, Ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 29, 2014, 09:18:30 PM »
Although not important I would like to say as a SoCal resident I have never seen an atemoya in person and am sad I cannot give my 2 cents. Please someone give me am atemoya to try!!!!!!

BMc

• Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 29, 2014, 09:57:48 PM »
Side by side isnt always as definative as you might think. I can test them side by side, but my conditions are far more favourable to producing good atemoyas than it is to producing good cherimoyas. If the same side by side were done in Adelaide or San Diego, I'm sure it would be the opposite. The best atemoyas I've had are from areas with deep fertile soil over old volcanic plugs. I take people's word when the dominant opinion is that top cherimoya is better than top atemoya, but I wouldnt put all my faith in a side by side tasting of dozens of great cherimoyas grown in optimal conditions versus old-hat atemoyas generally outside of their comfort zone. If you lived in So Cal then yes. If you lived elsewhere, take it as 'Cherimoya is better in So Cal'.

ClayMango

• MangoHunter
    • Zone 9B Ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 29, 2014, 11:53:56 PM »
Side by side isnt always as definative as you might think. I can test them side by side, but my conditions are far more favourable to producing good atemoyas than it is to producing good cherimoyas. If the same side by side were done in Adelaide or San Diego, I'm sure it would be the opposite. The best atemoyas I've had are from areas with deep fertile soil over old volcanic plugs. I take people's word when the dominant opinion is that top cherimoya is better than top atemoya, but I wouldnt put all my faith in a side by side tasting of dozens of great cherimoyas grown in optimal conditions versus old-hat atemoyas generally outside of their comfort zone. If you lived in So Cal then yes. If you lived elsewhere, take it as 'Cherimoya is better in So Cal'.

not sure about the fruit...but my Cherimoyas are growing like a weeds over here in Socal
Thinking about joining a Fruitaholics anonymous support group...Fruit addiction has taken over my life!

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 30, 2014, 10:01:21 AM »

Bruce, I've had atemoyas in Miami and here and they taste the same. The bottom-line is that cherimoya is a superior Annona. As Thera pointed out some Asian prefer atemoyas for whatever reasons but when you have them side by side as we did 9-10 tasters prefer cherimoyas

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk