Author Topic: Differences in taste/productivity/seeds of carambola varieties?  (Read 1206 times)

CGameProgrammer

• San Diego (10b)
    • View Profile
Currently I have Kari which makes nice sweet and sour melon-flavored fruit with a few seeds but not many. The tree is about six feet high at the most but it still produced ripe fruit December through April even though it was only one crop, it just ripened one by one over months.

Now I'm looking for another variety that is sufficiently different than Kari, particularly Fwang Tung or Sri Kembsomething. How do they compare?

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Administrator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
Re: Differences in taste/productivity/seeds of carambola varieties?
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2016, 11:42:23 PM »
If you're looking for "different," Hart would probably be your best bet, as its flavor is very much unlike any of the others.

Kary, in my opinion, is the best of them all. it boasts high brix (for a carambola) and ultra high production on a smallish tree. My Kary is currently about 10 years old and still a very nice compact tree with near zero pruning.

Bell has a slight edge in terms of flavor over the kary, but it's less productive (in my yard) and a more vigorous grower.

In general, I don't recommend more than one carambola tree. They produce insane quantities of fruit multiple times per year. And, given that carambola flavor is reasonably underwhelming, it's quite easy to become bored with them.
Jeff  :-)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk