Author Topic: Mango that survived a 20f freeze? Any idea what the variety could be?  (Read 951 times)

TheDisGardener

• USA, LA, Zone9a
    • View Profile
My college campus in nola has a mango tree growing that survived a 20f freeze last year with no damage and no cover. The tree is in a blocked off area behind a brick wall so that could have protected it from harsh winds. But it's open to the elements on the top. I asked around but no response. I've seen flowers on the tree but no fruit. About 7ft tall. Any mango varieties that can survive harsh freezes that this could be?

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
Re: Mango that survived a 20f freeze? Any idea what the variety could be?
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2022, 06:44:49 PM »
The wall and city made a microclimate. There really are no cold hardy mangos. Ive also seen some tender stuff inside courtyards in the French Quarter.
This reminds me of the fruiting avocado trees in London.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-aitxBAve4&t

Alan_Tampa

• USA, FLORIDA, TAMPA, CITRUS PARK, ZONE IS DENIAL
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2022, 09:33:09 AM »
Bailey's marvel is alleged to be exceptionally cold tolerant.

TheDisGardener

• USA, LA, Zone9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2022, 09:50:14 AM »
My valencia has survived the 30-40f we've been having with no browning or cold damage so its making me wonder if I can push it under 30

shiro

• France La Rochelle
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2022, 09:25:08 PM »
Interesting though, because even with a microclimate, wouldn't it still have gone below 32°F or 0°C? We really need a picture to see if the surrounding structures protect it from negative temperatures. Because in a cold greenhouse I only gain 1 or 2°C compared to the outside temperature. You just have to take a thermometer and check the temperature when it will be 20°F or -6°C again.

Alan_Tampa

• USA, FLORIDA, TAMPA, CITRUS PARK, ZONE IS DENIAL
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2022, 03:26:26 PM »
mature Nam Doc Mai and Bailey's Marvel both survived 2010 25F or so, in my yard.  The trees were set back pretty good, but only took a couple years to start fruiting again.

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2022, 05:53:28 PM »
The microclimate is also called "Urban heat island effect". If you have a newer car watch the thermometer some night when driving along through the countryside. Watch carefully as you enter a small town usually you will see the temperature rise and then fall again as you leave town. The thermal mass of structures and pavement tends to hold heat and may also block wind which cools by convection and conduction.

If one is industrious enough zone pushing could be done using masonry walls with an open top. It could be covered and water run inside to gain a zone or so so long as the temp didn't stay low for more than a night. The USDA Cacao collection in Miami was planted that way.