Author Topic: US-1279 and SuperSour 2, new and better zygotic parents for cold hardy breeding?  (Read 3963 times)

1rainman

• Florida
    • View Profile
Maybe the website instead had a typo.

Florian

• Solothurn, Switzerland.
    • View Profile
For what it's worth: my Citrangeremo has just survived its first winter with about -8 to -10 C on multiple occasions. It did suffer leaf and twig damage but only on younger growth.
Also, have a look here: http://www.homecitrusgrowers.co.uk/australiannativecitrus/eremocitrusglauca.html --> hardy to around -5 C in dry conditions.

Jibro

• Czech
    • View Profile
I tested Eremorange in an unheated greenhouse this winter and it was undamaged and started growing without any problems
Inside the greenhouse there were many freezing nights during the winter, worst was one week with 5 consecutive days (temperature °C, minimum in °F  14,3) : -7,5| - 9,8 | -8 | -7 | -7,5
Eremorange was more hardy than other plants in the greenhouse:
Sudachi - some leaf damage,
SP Urban - some leaf and twig damage,
Citrumelo hybrid seedling - lost almost all leaves,
Clem-Yuz 2-2 lost almost all leaves and some twigs
N1 Tri Voss hybrid seedling - lost most of the leaves and twigs

David Kipps

• Aroda, VA, zone 7a
    • View Profile
Bussone,  Where did you get your Citrangeremo ?  Was it healthy except for the cold challenge ?

mikkel

• Lueneburg, Germany Zone 7
    • View Profile
I tested Eremorange in an unheated greenhouse this winter and it was undamaged and started growing without any problems

How dry was the ground? Did you water them?

Jibro

• Czech
    • View Profile
The greenhouse had high humidity during winter and the soil was normally moist, I started watering in the spring when there was a big difference between day and night temperatures from 35°C to a light frost at night.

bussone

• Philadelphia, PA (7a)
    • View Profile
Bussone,  Where did you get your Citrangeremo ?  Was it healthy except for the cold challenge ?

eBay seller from NJ. It did pretty well for about a year, then suddenly declined and crashed out. It was doing pretty well right up until it wasn't.

I have no luck with potted plants. I'm not as bad as my mother, who once killed a plastic tree.

1rainman

• Florida
    • View Profile
The desert lime will go into dormancy. It needs to be dormant for good cold hardiness. Restricting water helps induce dormancy along with cooler temps. It's not that cold tolerant when not dormant though more than a typical citrus. That's the main thing though it can go dormant like poncirus. But it has a really deep root system for the desert so probably won't do well long term in pots hence the need to cross it with other stuff. Maybe flying dragon.

Meyer does really well in pots so maybe meyer x desert lime would be good to start crossing with. Though I want the orange cross I'll plant it outside in Florida.

a_Vivaldi

• Greenville, NC, Z8a
    • View Profile
1rainman, the Coachella eremolemon may be just that. There's conflating information on whether it is c. glauca x Meyer or c. glauca x unknown grapefruit. I've read it's entirely nucellar, which to me suggests that it's x grapefruit. It's certainly one of the more readily available eremo hybrids, along with razzlequat (which may or may not be the same thing and may or may not be a kumquat hybrid). Since Coachella eremolemon should of have one copy of the gene for nucellar seedlings (assuming it is actually one dominant gene, which is what most literature I've seen says), if you used it as the male parent and crossed it with Meyer lemon you'd probably get some seedlings they would be fully zygotic and this useful for breeding.

mikkel

• Lueneburg, Germany Zone 7
    • View Profile
I have 3 varieties of these Eremo hybrids. None has flowered in the last few years. At least for me it is a dead end for breeding.

kumin

• USA PA 6b
    • View Profile

A few 1279 flowers with a potential to set fruits.

a_Vivaldi

• Greenville, NC, Z8a
    • View Profile
Would these be your first fruits from US-1279 kumin?

kumin

• USA PA 6b
    • View Profile
Indeed, there was one staminate flower last Spring, which didn't lead to any fruit set.

a_Vivaldi

• Greenville, NC, Z8a
    • View Profile
Very cool, hopefully it'll set those fruit for you!

I'm going to check with Stan McKenzie later to see if he's got any US-1279. Even if it's only as hardy as Changsha it'll be nice to have something both highly zygotic and hardy.

kumin

• USA PA 6b
    • View Profile
I expect it's hardiness to be between Changsha and Bishop.

a_Vivaldi

• Greenville, NC, Z8a
    • View Profile
Hey Kumin, curious if the US 1279 ended up setting fruit.

kumin

• USA PA 6b
    • View Profile
Yes, there are 6 or 7 fruits. They're rather small and also late to color. I'll be opening them within the next 2 weeks. Bishop survived with less damage than 1279 during the past Winter. I'll try to post a few photos when I open them.

1279 fruits picked in late December 2023.

Perplexed

• 8a GA
    • View Profile
US 1281, a 100% zygotic rootstock is available at CCPP.

Mulberry0126

• North Carolina, Zone 7b/8a
    • View Profile
    • The Mulberries Edible Plant Nursery
Yes, there are 6 or 7 fruits. They're rather small and also late to color. I'll be opening them within the next 2 weeks. Bishop survived with less damage than 1279 during the past Winter. I'll try to post a few photos when I open them.

1279 fruits picked in late December 2023.

Very interesting, how does 1279 taste compare?

kumin

• USA PA 6b
    • View Profile
I haven't opened them yet, I'll do so within the next 2 weeks.

kumin

• USA PA 6b
    • View Profile
1279 fruits and seeds. The fruits weren't totally ripe, but neither the rind nor the juice had much Poncirus taste or fragrance. The predominant flavor was indicative of Mandarin. There were many empty seed coats and partially filled seeds. The majority of the seeds were tan in color, with a lower percentage of green seeds. When the juice was diluted and sweetened there was no discernable Poncirus initial taste, nor aftertaste. The flavors weren't exactly Mandarin with a bit of an underripe effect. There were an average of 6.8 plump seeds per fruit, disregarding the tiny seedless fruit.

Mulberry0126

• North Carolina, Zone 7b/8a
    • View Profile
    • The Mulberries Edible Plant Nursery
Citrandarins in general seem to retain more enjoyable mandarin-like flavors than other hybrids. They might hold a lot of potential in terms of edibility.

BorisR

• Crimea, Feodosia, z7
    • View Profile
kumin, hello.
Are the seeds obtained from open pollination or have you pollinated them with something?

kumin

• USA PA 6b
    • View Profile
There were self pollinated as well as cross pollinated fruits. The cross pollinated fruits tended to be slightly larger.

BorisR

• Crimea, Feodosia, z7
    • View Profile
When the juice was diluted and sweetened ...
Is the taste completely sour or is sweetness present?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk