Author Topic: white pummelo identification  (Read 642 times)

brian

• Pennsylvania (zone 6) w/ heated greenhouse
    • View Profile
white pummelo identification
« on: March 15, 2023, 03:14:58 PM »
I found this white pummelo at a local asian market, any idea what type it might be?  It is large, heavy, unusually thin rind for a pummelo.  Seedless, dry (not juicy), teardrop shaped.  It is very good tasting.

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
Re: white pummelo identification
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2023, 04:22:36 AM »
It looks similar to the white Honey Pummelo I purchased (labeled) from a local Asian market here. I bought 6 fruits hoping to find some seeds but did not find any, it was seedless. The rind peeled pretty easily.

My pummelos (true type) trees have fruits with thicker skin/rind that is more difficult to peel. I have the Reinking, Thong Dee, and seedling Chinese pummelo which all have many seeds.

pinkturtle

• LA county, CA Zone 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2023, 11:03:57 PM »
If it is from Taiwan, it could be 文旦柚子,Wendan pomelo.  It is the most grow pomelo in Taiwan.

brian

• Pennsylvania (zone 6) w/ heated greenhouse
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2023, 12:09:44 AM »
If it is from Taiwan, it could be 文旦柚子,Wendan pomelo.  It is the most grow pomelo in Taiwan.

It wasn't labelled with country of origin, or might have said China, I forget now.  The shape looks a bit off, but the flesh and peel looks exactly right.  This seems a likely candidate, thank you.  Unfortunately, I've never seen this variety for sale in the US

SoCal2warm

• zone 10 and zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2023, 02:05:51 AM »
Pomelos of that type are very common in Asia (China, Vietnam). But are not the typical pomelo sold in the U.S. (Chandler pomelo, with a pink inside).
I actually prefer the Asian pomelo (although Chandler is not bad). Majority of American consumers prefer sweeter and prefer no seeds.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2023, 02:08:28 AM by SoCal2warm »

EricSC

• san diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2023, 10:59:54 PM »
Pomelos of that type are very common in Asia (China, Vietnam). But are not the typical pomelo sold in the U.S. (Chandler pomelo, with a pink inside).
I actually prefer the Asian pomelo (although Chandler is not bad). Majority of American consumers prefer sweeter and prefer no seeds.
Because the asian pummlo are so big, a couple fo seeds dont really bother the eaters that much as the mandarines do.