Author Topic: Best soil mix to germinate Garcinia spp.  (Read 1458 times)

Jose Spain

• Marbella, Spain. Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Best soil mix to germinate Garcinia spp.
« on: June 16, 2018, 08:18:58 AM »
I got several Garcinia this season (achachairu, mexicana, intermedia) and I planted them in a mix of peat (around 65%) and perlite (35%). I don't know if this is a good mix for Garcinia germination, so I'd like to know which one did you use successfully. Peat+perlite keeps humidity so well that I see some algae growing in the surface, so I'm worry I will waste my seeds using it because of fungi.

Thanks

achetadomestica

• FLORIDA 9b
    • View Profile
Re: Best soil mix to germinate Garcinia spp.
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2018, 09:59:08 AM »
I use a similar mix but I think mine has vermiculite also. Maybe you are keeping too wet?
I don't see algae on mine and we are in our humid rainy season. I plant the seeds on top
of the dirt maybe a thin layer covering the seeds. I got 12 Garcinia braziliensis seeds earlier
this year and I left 4 in a baggie with damp vermiculite and 2 germinated and then I placed in
potting mix. I am liking this method more and more. It is easier to leave seeds in a baggie on
the counter, I tend to want to over water. Also vermiculite is easy to wet and squeeze out
excess water. Seeds don't spoil in this mix even after several months? I am trying some Luc's
Garcinia and jumbo Luc's Garcinia seeds now

nattyfroootz

• Santa Cruz California
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2018, 11:09:48 AM »
In the past I've used straight Coco Peat in a sealed tupperware container.  I am trying it again in a Promix HP and another with the Coco Peat. Will report back with results, but Coco peat has been pretty effective with all my tropical seed starting.
Grow cooler fruits

www.wildlandsplants.com

barath

• Southern California, USDA Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2018, 03:42:00 PM »
I usually go with about 50/50 peat/perlite and that seems to work well.  I don't get mold if I have more peat in the mix but often the peat creates a hard hydrophobic layer on top when it dries, which seems to hurt the small seedlings that are trying to push through.

Chandramohan

• India, Kerala, Wynad
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2018, 05:45:12 AM »
I use moist vermiculite to sprout all my Garcinia sp. seeds, with almost 100% germination. And as Mike stated, no fungal growths even after many months.

gozp

• West Hills, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2018, 03:06:18 PM »
I use 100% dirt. They seem to thrive.

Jose Spain

• Marbella, Spain. Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2018, 03:57:31 PM »
Thank you mates. Since i have several seeds of each, I think I'll go with your different methods to ensure success.