Author Topic: Papaya pot size and preferred potting soil  (Read 763 times)

Daintree

• Boise, Idaho - zone 6, with a zone 12 greenhouse...
    • View Profile
Papaya pot size and preferred potting soil
« on: May 15, 2020, 06:55:02 PM »
I am getting ready to pot up my baby papayas and need some advice. I have always had mixed results with them and will be experimenting this winter with warming the soil in the pots (in my greenhouse). I have some solo and some cobquecura plants.
My initial questions are -
What pot size?  I read that they will fruit in 3 gallon pots and would love to keep them down to this size if possible.
What soil and acidity do they prefer?  I usually use a very coarse, fast-draining soil in the low 6 to high 5 for pH. 
What is their fertilizer preference?
I am pretty sure that they need lots of water and light in the summer, and less water in the winter to prevent root rot. Or would I keep treating them as if it were "perpetual summer" if I am giving them extra light and bottom heat in the winter?

Thanks!
Carolyn

Jaboticaba45

• Check out TN Tropical Fruits!
  • Tropical Fruit Tree Connoisseur
    • Chattanooga TN 7b
    • View Profile
Re: Papaya pot size and preferred potting soil
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2020, 07:16:07 PM »
I had mine in a 15 gallon pot with store bought potting soil. Grew around 6 ft high.

stephen

• Los Angeles, CA, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2020, 08:33:05 PM »
I've never thought about growing papayas in containers. Sorry for asking, but do they fruit ok in containers? If so, what variety would you recommend?

Daintree

• Boise, Idaho - zone 6, with a zone 12 greenhouse...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2020, 08:48:36 PM »
My earlier ones have fruited in 15 gallon pots, but I lost them in the cooler winter - overwatered, got root rot.

Carolyn