Author Topic: are Bael seeds recalcitrant?  (Read 617 times)

Daintree

• Boise, Idaho - zone 6, with a zone 12 greenhouse...
    • View Profile
are Bael seeds recalcitrant?
« on: May 08, 2022, 06:21:41 PM »
Just got some bael tree seeds from a fallen fruit at the fruit and spice park.  We still have a week left of our vacation. Can thes dry out or should I store them wet until I get home to Idaho?

Thanks!
Carolyn

Francis_Eric

• 40 miles west of Chicago Aurora IL ZONE 5
    • View Profile
    • https://myspace.com/undisclosedforthetime/
Re: are Bael seeds recalcitrant?
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2022, 11:35:56 PM »
Looks like your back already

I looked to see if it is Orthodox or recalcitrant

I suppose they are intermediate

( I do not want to get off topic much
, but I hope your trip was nice

What was Fruit, and spice park like during this time of year ?
anything flowering ?

he present paper deals with the storage of freshly collected seeds of Aegle marmelos (L) correa. The effect
of two storage conditions viz; open and closed under five temperature regimes -100,0 0, 100, 150C and ambient temperature
were observed. The initial germination and moisture content of seeds were 62.50% and 15.1% respectively.
Among all the storage conditions, seeds stored at room temperature showed rapid decline of moisture content.
Maximum seed moisture retention was found with storage in open and closed conditions at 10oC, after 32 months of
storage, showed maximum germination of 32.25% and 39.50% respectively. The result envisaged that the seeds of the
species can be stored at low temperature with seed moisture content below 10% for longer period
. Further the results
of the present study clearly indicate that the seeds of Aegle marmelos exhibit the intermediate storage physiology.

(note Important but copied from here )
http://floraandfona.org.in/Uploaded%20Pdf/221/03-10.pdf

Francis_Eric

• 40 miles west of Chicago Aurora IL ZONE 5
    • View Profile
    • https://myspace.com/undisclosedforthetime/
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2022, 11:40:54 PM »
Oh I hope to know how they grow .

I still have a bunch of seeds from fruit, and spice park

I could of sprouted, but after my trip last year I wanted to rest

Next time I will bring ziplock bags already a head of time

(also the pollen I harvested (mulberry ) was thrown onto the elevated (EL) train tracks I believe from my fanny pack hahha)

Jabba The Hutt

• Appleton, New York, 6b/Pine Island, Bokeelia, Florida 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2022, 12:06:05 AM »
Nice find! Please let us know how you sprout them. :D

Daintree

• Boise, Idaho - zone 6, with a zone 12 greenhouse...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2022, 11:53:08 AM »
Yep, got back yeaterday. Hopefully they sprout.  The bael was tasty, but oh my gosh it was the atickiest thing I have ever touched! Literally EVERYTHING stuck to my fingers and wouldnt rub off.  Fruiting right now we ate mamey, lots of lychee (my favorite fruit) but we had to fight off two Chinese ladies who were shaking the trees and scooping up everything off the ground.  There was some sort of annona, I forget which, and heaps of miracle berries. Oh, and bilimbi.  It was really fun. I loved identifying fruit I have never seen in person.  Made me feel smart!
I take my seed collecting kit with me everywhere.  A new addition to it will be wet wipes...

Fun trip overall, but Florida is so crowded.  We bought a thrift store suitcase, checked all our clothes and brought back two carryon suitcases crammed with cuttings, trees in one gallon pots, orchids, etc.  The security guy at the airport jokingly asked my husband to blink twice if he was being forced to "carry" against his will.

Cheers,
Carolyn