Citrus > Citrus General Discussion

First time citrus (Beginner)

(1/3) > >>

brecht986:
Hello Everyone,

I received 3 small citrus trees (30 cm) and they need to be potted. I am wondering what soil I should use. I read on the internet that I should use 50 % sand + 50 manure % . I don't have manure, could I use 50 % sand and 50 % compost? And is it 50/50 based on weight or volume? I also read that the pH should be around 6. How can I manage to drop the pH to this level ? And lastly, should the citrus trees be in a pot with an open bottom of the pot + scale or is a pot with closed bottom just fine?

Kind regards,
Brecht

brian:
A very common mix that is easy to obtain is a "5-1-1 mix" which is five parts mulch, one part sphagnum peat moss, one part perlite.  The peat moss has the effect of lowering ph somewhat.   Standard bagged "potting soil" is not recommended, it doesn't drain well.  If you cannot find peat moss or perlite, mix 5 parts mulch with 1 part bagged potting soil

All ratios are based on volume, no matter what mix you use.

DEFINITELY have holes in the pot, excess water must have a place to drain or it will become stagnant and cause root rot.

poncirsguy:
I use 5 parts pine bark much and 1 part used potting mix.
 pot with lots of small holes.

pagnr:
I would not use 50% manure, it has poor structure ( you can heavily compress it without resistance ) and will only break down even more.
Also it probably has excess nutrients like Nitrogen.
Some people might used well aged horse stable manure, but there are better things to use.

The measurement is by volume. Sand will be heavier than mulch or pine bark or perlite.
Measuring by weight will give a wrong ratio. A kg of sand is probably 1 litre, a kg of Perlite cold be 5 to 10 litres or more. 10 litres of coco coir peat might only be 2 or 3 kg
To make 30 litres of pot mix,  I use three 10 litre buckets to measure the components prior to mixing by hand on a flat surface. ( on a clean plastic sheet ).

I use 70% coarse sand and 30 % coir coco peat mixes for smaller trees and composted pine bark based mixes for larger tree.
It is hard to recommend mixes as I am in a very hot summer /mild winter area in Australia, so that may not suit your conditions and management.

What type of mix are the trees as you received them.

Millet:
Many growers use the 5-1-1 Mix (5 parts 1/4" pine bark, 1 part peat moss and 1 part perlite. Also many growers use a 50:50 mix of Turface MVP and  Miracle Grow Garden Soil. Both are good draining mediums.  For 1/4" pine bark you can  use  Reptibark reptile bedding found on line or at  most larger Pet Supply Stores.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version